I've been seriously looking at changing my plan (and paying a penalty to do so) in order to equip my work force with faster 4G/LTE phones.

I'm going to need 6 cell phones to start and I might need to go up to 8 or 10 in the future. So you see it's a small company. Presently I am using the iden (MIKE) network but recent changes within my company means I need something that will let me send and receive pictures. I have 2 BB's and 2 PB's and as I'm sure you all know, the iden network is like the stone age network. With 3G and 4G and now LTE available, it makes sense for me to change.

HERE'S THE QUESTION.... Is there any other phones or platforms that allow you to send/receive pictures to one another like BBM does FOR FREE?

I know LTE is faster than 4G (right?) but even 3G phones will be lightning faster than what I have so speed is not the issue. The issue is data usage. It IS free to send pictures via BBM to BBM...right? Is there something out there that does the same or is it always sent via your data plan? (as you can see, I do NOT use BBM that much....lol). Even though I might not take a lot of pictures at the beginning, the ability to communicate and send each other files via BBM just makes sense. However, I have no clue if there is something else out there that is similar to BBM?

The other thing I think I'll see is a push to get new customers to buy the BB7's in the next couple of weeks / months so maybe the time to get a great deal is now?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'll research any suggestions...
    04-08-12 07:36 AM
    LTE is faster than att and tmobiles "4G"
    They're 4G is pretty much upgraded 3G technology that increases the speed from 3G so I like to call it 3.5G. I have an att 4G bold 9900 and it is fast but not LTE android fast.

As far as messaging goes apple has imessage and android has google talk.

Depending on how many and how large the pictures are that will make you closer and closer to your data cap.

Apple and android just send it as normal data but blackberry data gets sent through a series or servers called the noc and that compresses data so you never really have to worry about going over your 2-3gb limit.

You asking a "should I get blackberry's" question on a blackberry fan site so our opinions obviously will be bias but its all up to you.

Androids have been notorious for sub par battery life and apple is the hot thing right now.

Most businesses and the us government stick with blackberry because of its security and ease of being able to manage all the phones on their IT network.

You have seen many articles about celebrities phones hacked and they have always been android and iphones but you will never see a blackberry get hacked.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-08-12 07:55 AM
    As far as messaging goes apple has imessage and android has google talk.

Depending on how many and how large the pictures are that will make you closer and closer to your data cap.
    Thanks....see. I did not know that.

Apple and android just send it as normal data but blackberry data gets sent through a series or servers called the noc and that compresses data so you never really have to worry about going over your 2-3gb limit.
    Again, something I didn't know. Uhm. I always thought it was free. So you are in fact still being "charged" but because they are so small, it's hardly anything. And yes sometimes the files are quite large because clients take the pictures with their digital cameras, upload them to their computer then send us an email with the file attachment. That email is always sent to the office (no charge) but then I can load it onto the office BB via the Desktop Manager and send it via BBM and save the data usage that way. We'll most likely reduce the size of the picture as well.

You asking a "should I get blackberry's" question on a blackberry fan site so our opinions obviously will be bias but its all up to you.
    True...but now I'm going to look at imessage and google talk... and look into NOC....so I still learnt something new....
    04-08-12 08:10 AM
    Also with iMessage you can send video any size. I wouldn't worry about going over 3gb on any smartphone unless you stream pandora daily. I listen to Sirius xm on my iPhone a lot and still haven't came close to my 3gb limit. Also iMessage is very similar to bbm. It shows when it's read ,delivered ,typing back. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    04-08-12 08:24 AM
    Also with iMessage you can send video any size. I wouldn't worry about going over 3gb on any smartphone unless you stream pandora daily. I listen to Sirius xm on my iPhone a lot and still haven't came close to my 3gb limit. Also iMessage is very similar to bbm. It shows when it's read ,delivered ,typing back. Good luck!

Hey jesse go back to your imore sheep. Lol hater. I'm trying to keep people 1 blackberry at a time hater. Haha

He never goes over data because he is always home on wifi. Lol

Last edited by eve6er69; 04-08-12 at 08:33 AM.
    04-08-12 08:27 AM
    LiveProfile is another multiplatform messaging app similar to Google Talk and BBM. The Android client will allow you to send pics. Unfortunately the BlackBerry client does not, at least not yet.
    04-08-12 08:28 AM
    And nothing is free now a days. You will either be charged for the data on a regular smartphone or the BIS plan on a blackberry for data.

Both are usually the same price $30.

The data allows you to get emails,I'm's, web on all phones no matter which phone you go with.

04-08-12 08:29 AM
    I send pictures with BBM every other day. As I understand it, it does not go against your data plan.

I feel BlackBerry will do well for what you want.

What is the price difference between new BlackBerry phones and other brands? I know I got my 9810 for free when I picked it up in February with a special offer that was running.

As far as liveprofile goes. I have that on my phone and it still has a way to go.

There is a reason people are coping BBM. Because it is a great messaging system (biggest downfall is that it isn't a cross platform system but that isn't an issue when you will have all the same brand). I don't feel that any of them match BBM as a whole package. Some could be getting close but I don't feel that any of them are there yet (unless there has been some changes I haven't heard about yet).

In the end its what works best for you. Pick one that you think will work for your company and try it out. But before you pay make sure you know the limits for the return policy. That way you can give it a test and if it doesn't run the way you want you can bring them back because what works for you is what matters most.

James
    04-08-12 08:42 AM
    Hey jesse go back to your imore sheep. Lol hater. I'm trying to keep people 1 blackberry at a time hater. Haha

He never goes over data because he is always home on wifi. Lol

Not true. That's a full time job these days!

04-08-12 08:46 AM
    Not true. That's a full time job these days!

I hear ya. That's why I don't really want kids. Who wants 2 full time jobs. Haha

04-08-12 08:49 AM
    WhatsApp allows for a group of users and also shares pics and such. You can have 10 in a group , which sounds doable. I do miss the larger group capacity in BBM, though.
    04-08-12 08:56 AM
    WhatsApp allows for a group of users and also shares pics and such. You can have 10 in a group , which sounds doable. I do miss the larger group capacity in BBM, though.

Jim did you ditch blackberry? Do I need to pull you from my bbm list? Lol

04-08-12 09:35 AM
    Jim did you ditch blackberry? Do I need to pull you from my bbm list? Lol

I'm off it for a bit, yes. Got caught up with the MLB snafu and made a switch just before they announced they were supporting BB and after I'd plunked my money down. So, for now, my BB is on hiatus. (It was the least expensive of my options at the time)
    04-08-12 09:50 AM
    you can also try WhatsApp witch is similar to BBM and available cross platform. however with BBM you can have everyone in a group also and broadcast messages (to everyone at once) create calenders, event, shared photo's within the group. This in my opinion is huge, being able to have a separate Calendar, memo, pictures for your work group could come in handy and keep things organised/separate. good luck

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-08-12 10:31 AM
    I'm off it for a bit, yes. Got caught up with the MLB snafu and made a switch just before they announced they were supporting BB and after I'd plunked my money down. So, for now, my BB is on hiatus. (It was the least expensive of my options at the time)

Haha damn being impatient. What did you switch to? Android or ios?

04-08-12 11:04 AM

That's one aspect of all of this I just don't know. That is the amount of data I'm going to end up using. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a good deal as far as the phone service (unlimitted calling, etc...) but the data plan offered is only 2GB and that's for ALL of the phones. I'm sure I can add more if needed in the future but the "not knowing" is what bugs me.

Having said that, it seems that a lot of people I've asked, don't come close to their data usage so maybe it's not that bad. I'm going to be sending pictures and I'm sure videos are a lot bigger file sizes....
    04-08-12 08:00 PM
    If it's only 2 GB for 3 or more devices then I would stick with BB JUST for the compression. If it was 2GB per device, then any platform would be fine.
    04-08-12 08:11 PM
    I send pictures with BBM every other day. As I understand it, it does not go against your data plan.

I feel BlackBerry will do well for what you want.

What is the price difference between new BlackBerry phones and other brands? I know I got my 9810 for free when I picked it up in February with a special offer that was running.

As far as liveprofile goes. I have that on my phone and it still has a way to go.

There is a reason people are coping BBM. Because it is a great messaging system (biggest downfall is that it isn't a cross platform system but that isn't an issue when you will have all the same brand). I don't feel that any of them match BBM as a whole package. Some could be getting close but I don't feel that any of them are there yet (unless there has been some changes I haven't heard about yet).

In the end its what works best for you. Pick one that you think will work for your company and try it out. But before you pay make sure you know the limits for the return policy. That way you can give it a test and if it doesn't run the way you want you can bring them back because what works for you is what matters most.

James
    Thanks for the feedback. I'd probably get the same "deal" in that the phone will be $0.00 but I will have to sign a contract (which I have no problem doing). The fact that the BB10's are due out later this year means I might wait for ALL my phones to make the switch.

Looking @ WhatsApp and LiveProfile shows me that there are a lot of options out there. LiveProfile looks pretty decent but how's it run on an Android or iPhone?
    04-08-12 08:19 PM
    If it's only 2 GB for 3 or more devices then I would stick with BB JUST for the compression. If it was 2GB per device, then any platform would be fine.
    Unfortunately it's 2 GB for the whole bunch. However I might be able to work some type of deal if I sign a 3 year contract and get that increased.
    04-08-12 08:21 PM
    Yes, everything sent via bbm is included in your plan. There are no additional charges for bbm and it does not count against your monthly data usage.
    04-08-12 08:26 PM
    Thanks for the feedback. I'd probably get the same "deal" in that the phone will be $0.00 but I will have to sign a contract (which I have no problem doing). The fact that the BB10's are due out later this year means I might wait for ALL my phones to make the switch.

Looking @ WhatsApp and LiveProfile shows me that there are a lot of options out there. LiveProfile looks pretty decent but how's it run on an Android or iPhone?
    Using those apps does count against your monthly data usage plus there is no data compression.

Much cheaper to send texts and pics via bbm which is included in your plan and won't count against your monthly data usage.

Good idea tovwait and see what bb10 has to offer.
    04-08-12 08:31 PM
    And nothing is free now a days. You will either be charged for the data on a regular smartphone or the BIS plan on a blackberry for data.

Both are usually the same price $30.

The data allows you to get emails,I'm's, web on all phones no matter which phone you go with.

I understand that it costs $30 (or what ever) if you get a BB phone and there are different types of plans depending on what you want (or need).

The part I'm having trouble with is if I'm limited to 2 GB's of data for all 6 phones, is there more of an advantage to be on a BB then the other devices? It's all about not going over the data usage and while emails and web browsing doesn't take up much data, pictures and videos do (although I probably won't be sending videos between phones).

The way it's going to be set up is that the "picture sending" will be mainly 3 phones communicating with each other while the other 3 will get the occasional pictures.
    Emails will be sent with attachments but they'll be small and probably won't be a factor.

Yes, everything sent via bbm is included in your plan. There are no additional charges for bbm and it does not count against your monthly data usage.
    Thanks....that answers it....(slow typer)
    04-08-12 08:33 PM
    That's one aspect of all of this I just don't know. That is the amount of data I'm going to end up using. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a good deal as far as the phone service (unlimitted calling, etc...) but the data plan offered is only 2GB and that's for ALL of the phones. I'm sure I can add more if needed in the future but the "not knowing" is what bugs me.

Having said that, it seems that a lot of people I've asked, don't come close to their data usage so maybe it's not that bad. I'm going to be sending pictures and I'm sure videos are a lot bigger file sizes....
    I only have 500 mb on my BlackBerry. This is the first month I went over. 2 gb of data could be used up pretty quick.

James
    04-08-12 09:10 PM
    Haha damn being impatient. What did you switch to? Android or ios?

Motorola Photon Android, running stock. Wish it was a 9930, but they wanted too much and I wasn't sure then if BB was gonna be supported yet. iPhone isn't an option for me, no matter how many family members try to talk me into it. Plus it keeps my upgrade cycle intact so I can get new annually.

Not trying to hijack the thread, OP. Definitely want you to get devices that fit your needs.
    04-08-12 09:19 PM
    I understand that it costs $30 (or what ever) if you get a BB phone and there are different types of plans depending on what you want (or need).

The part I'm having trouble with is if I'm limited to 2 GB's of data for all 6 phones, is there more of an advantage to be on a BB then the other devices? It's all about not going over the data usage and while emails and web browsing doesn't take up much data, pictures and videos do (although I probably won't be sending videos between phones).

The way it's going to be set up is that the "picture sending" will be mainly 3 phones communicating with each other while the other 3 will get the occasional pictures.
    Emails will be sent with attachments but they'll be small and probably won't be a factor.

Thanks...

I would probably go with the berry then. They have the compression and also with bbm you can have groups. Put the 1st 3 phones in 1 group and all 6 in another. That way you can chat all the time without having to go between peoples chats.

Again its your decision and you are asking a lot of blackberry fans but 2GB between 6 phones I feel may be a little tight with most phones even blackberrys but iphones would most likely use up more data and incur more data fees. That's my $0.02

04-08-12 11:04 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD