Running in to an interesting problem.

My roommate's 6-month-old stupid Samsung touchscreen phone stopped working so I found a Bold 9000 for him. Before I bought it off the person, we put her SIM card in the phone and I made a phone call and sent a text and went on the web to verify that everything worked. When I got home and put his SIM card in, the phone would not stay connected to the AT&T network and the reception kept fluctuating. I brought the phone in to work with me today and used one of my co-workers SIM cards and the phone worked flawlessly again.

I know it's not a reception issue specific to my house.

I'm thinking it has to do with either his SIM card, which is a fairly new SIM, OR has something to do with the fact that he doesn't have a BB plan on his plan.

Any thoughts? Seems odd to me.
    02-04-10 03:07 PM
    first thing I would try is a new sim card as that seems to be the issue...
    02-04-10 03:09 PM
    plan shouldnt affect the phone
    try changing the setting thing to 2g only?
    02-04-10 03:09 PM
    I honestly think it's the SIM too, but it works fine with his Samsung Impression.

What's the easiest way to get a new SIM card? Do they have to send you one or can you go to an AT&T store?
    02-04-10 03:13 PM
    I honestly think it's the SIM too, but it works fine with his Samsung Impression.

What's the easiest way to get a new SIM card? Do they have to send you one or can you go to an AT&T store?
    go to store n complain to them
    02-04-10 03:23 PM
    ^^And I'll gladly apply the $30 a month BIS plan that you cannot remove until you switch devices
    02-04-10 03:27 PM
    Running in to an interesting problem.

My roommate's 6-month-old stupid Samsung touchscreen phone stopped working so I found a Bold 9000 for him. Before I bought it off the person, we put her SIM card in the phone and I made a phone call and sent a text and went on the web to verify that everything worked. When I got home and put his SIM card in, the phone would not stay connected to the AT&T network and the reception kept fluctuating. I brought the phone in to work with me today and used one of my co-workers SIM cards and the phone worked flawlessly again.

I know it's not a reception issue specific to my house.

I'm thinking it has to do with either his SIM card, which is a fairly new SIM, OR has something to do with the fact that he doesn't have a BB plan on his plan.

Any thoughts? Seems odd to me.
    It does sound like a quality of signal issue. You don't say why you think "reception kept fluctuating" but I'm prepared to guess you could see the signal indicator bouncing up and down. That is a direct measure of signal strength. There are only two things will cause variable signal levels - dodgy radio signal, or dodgy phone hardware (antenna or RF block broken).

You have proved the phone is capable of working in your other tests. That only leaves the incoming signal as a strong contender. I suggest you take the phone and SIM together to a different location (were you think it should work) and test again. I would also test again at home on a different occasion, and I would try going outside and testing away from the building to eliminate interference from some other gadget you own. Sorry, I know it's still winter
    02-04-10 04:06 PM
    go to store n complain to them
    You don't really need to complain, just ask. When I lost my sim card I simply went to an att store and said "I lost my sim card, may I have another" they reached down, activated a sim and handed it to me. I didn't even have the phone present, all they wanted was my mobile number and ID. So you can still say it's for your other phone, then pop it in the berry.
    02-04-10 04:47 PM
    It does sound like a quality of signal issue. You don't say why you think "reception kept fluctuating" but I'm prepared to guess you could see the signal indicator bouncing up and down. That is a direct measure of signal strength. There are only two things will cause variable signal levels - dodgy radio signal, or dodgy phone hardware (antenna or RF block broken).

You have proved the phone is capable of working in your other tests. That only leaves the incoming signal as a strong contender. I suggest you take the phone and SIM together to a different location (were you think it should work) and test again. I would also test again at home on a different occasion, and I would try going outside and testing away from the building to eliminate interference from some other gadget you own. Sorry, I know it's still winter
    This makes sense, except when I took out the SIM and cleaned the contacts I was able to see an improvement, but it was still not holding a stable signal. Every other phone in the house get a signal just fine.

I need to just verify at this location with a different SIM.
    02-04-10 07:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD