So, I've been using a BB Storm 2 for 4 months and couldn't be happier. Out comes the Droids with the Incredible and upcoming EVO and my hats off to them, very very fast! the pure speed and response makes my phone seem obsolete...or did it?
    I'm military-work for the USAF as a C17 mechanic-and what I've been noticing around me is more and more "aircrews" use BB over anything else. If they have "anything else" its an Iphone 3GS. A few of the new kids that arrive gobble all over the Droid and flaunt its coolness to everyone. Well...this got me thinking...why the disparity among phones? After some digging it became clear: Although the droids are the new kings on the block and speedy and all, they only work in the US! Iphone recently was made available in 4 band to work overseas. For me, a person that deploys alot, I enjoy the fact I can land in Iraq-have service, land in Afghanistan-have service, land in Germany-have service, list goes on and on. To me, this is BB BIGGEST selling point!
    If you're the average American that never goes outside the US, then the droid phone is the ****! But for military and world-wide businesses, the BB trumps. Kinda odd how BB holds that edge.
    I have a civilian friend that works for the DoD as a contractor in Afghanistan and we've been discussing phones. He's tired of the crappy phones they carry over there. So of course, we've done some HW on this and BB was a clear cut winner. He spends a year there, then vacation, then maybe a year back in Iraq. He is looking for a nice world that works on Quad band to be used anywhere he wants. Since droids can't do it, that leaves a few contenders on the block. Yes, I know there is a HTC world phone out there and Motorola. But for him, it came down to availability of service, touchscreen, push email, descent speed, and would you believe BBM! So, he arrives next month and it appears we are heading to Verizon for a Storm 2.

Just find it odd these manufactures push speed and this and that, but once you're out of the states they serve nothing more than a paperweight. Its funny to see pilots walk off the plane and ask ME to use my phone to send a text because their droid/Iphone doesn't work. THAT my friends is killer!
    05-29-10 06:01 AM
    Not only do you get service, but (assume similar roaming rates $$/megabyte) your BB will be significantly cheaper to use than most of the other phones. That's a hidden benefit of the server based push technology and data compression which RIM implemented for the cellular leg.

Sadly this doesn't apply to voice calls, so you all get hit with megabucks/minute there, whatever phone you use.
    05-29-10 06:33 AM
    Nexus one is a world phone and any Android device on AT&T will be a world phone too. SIM cards.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-10 07:01 AM
    It's the benefit of the continued vision of RIM. Building relationships that are beneficial to both the carrier and RIM has gotten them on almost five hundred carriers worldwide.
    05-29-10 02:36 PM
    yup, which is why Blackberrys are still HUGE is becuase of the world phone functions
    05-29-10 03:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD