OK.

I'm thinking of going to New York and staying there for 1 year and I been trying to figure out all these prices plans from US companies.

Do any US carriers do a no long term commitment monthly plans (e.g. the contract length is 30 days so you can cancel it pretty much anytime without having to buy yourself out of the contract)

And do they offer a BB service on top?

For comparitive reasons, here in the UK I'm paying 30p/m with 600 anytime/any network minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited internet (including the BB service) which equates to roughly $45.

Obviously, I'm probably not going to see as good as a deal in the US.
    03-23-10 11:10 PM
    Best prices would be T-Mobile and they don't require a contract for these plans: Unsupported Browser
    03-23-10 11:12 PM
    Ahh thanks for that. Just found the $60p/m for 500minutes inc text/bb

But I have to buy a phone? Would I be able to not purchased the phone and just the SIM-only?
    03-23-10 11:17 PM
    There is this new and fascinating invention that has come to some small bit if popularity lately called...'the internet'...you can check what ever you want, when you want and go from there.
    I would not criticize a poster from another country who is asking about US plans. I would search the Web too, if I needed to know about a plan offered in another country, but I would also want to get information directly from folks in that country.
    03-23-10 11:27 PM
    No you only get a sim. For those plans you must bring your own phone. What phone were you looking to bring to use because if it's a 3G phone you're only going to get edge with T-Mobile US?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-10 11:38 PM
    There is this new and fascinating invention that has come to some small bit if popularity lately called...'the internet'...you can check what ever you want, when you want and go from there.
    Yes I am totally aware of the internet. How else do you think I could post this? Psychic powers?

As stated, I'm from the UK so I'm totally not aware of how things work in the US in regards to mobile plans in comparision to the US.

Don't be such a wasteman posting pointless information. The fact is, it also proved you didn't read my post properly as I stated "...I been trying to figure out these price plans from US companies"
    03-23-10 11:44 PM
    No you only get a sim. For those plans you must bring your own phone. What phone were you looking to bring to use because if it's a 3G phone you're only going to get edge with T-Mobile US?

Was planning on using my 9700?

I figured if one of the plans had BB services, it would cover 3G? Or is that not the case?
    03-23-10 11:46 PM
    Yes I am totally aware of the internet. How else do you think I could post this? Psychic powers?

As stated, I'm from the UK so I'm totally not aware of how things work in the US in regards to mobile plans in comparision to the US.

Don't be such a wasteman posting pointless information. The fact is, it also proved you didn't read my post properly as I stated "...I been trying to figure out these price plans from US companies"
    I have AT&T, and I know they do not offer any plans that would be suitable for you.

I'm not familiar with T-Mobile, as I've never used them, but it appears that T-Mobile would be worth enquiring in to, since other folks have mentioned their plans which seem to be what you are looking for.
    03-23-10 11:47 PM
    Was planning on using my 9700?

I figured if one of the plans had BB services, it would cover 3G? Or is that not the case?
    T-Mobile uses a different 3G frequency. If you got AT&T, you could get 3G, but they do not offer any pre-paid plans.

If you have Wi-Fi available where you stay in the US, you should get decent speeds with T-Mobile.
    03-23-10 11:49 PM
    Prices weren't really something I was looking into since I posted mine in comparision but was not what I was looking for exactly.

It was a simple question, does not hurt to ask. If you reckon it's a troll thread good for you. It doesn't need you to state whether it is/isn't. That's really the mods decision.

But it's nice to see some people are helping.

Minutes/Texts aren't going to be as a high priority compared to the BB service, just I want my BBM to work whilst I'm over there to chat with my friends.
    03-23-10 11:52 PM
    T-Mobile uses a different 3G frequency. If you got AT&T, you could get 3G, but they do not offer any pre-paid plans.

If you have Wi-Fi available where you stay in the US, you should get decent speeds with T-Mobile.
    I didn't know they had different 3G frequencies?

I thought 3G was standardized.
    03-23-10 11:53 PM
    I didn't know they had different 3G frequencies?

I thought 3G was standardized.
    3G Frequencies - T-Mobile Community
    03-23-10 11:56 PM
    OK I've just done a quick scan on the internet about the frequencies.

UK vodafone is 2135-2150 for 3G. Does that mean I can receive 3G if I go TMobile US?
    03-24-10 12:01 AM
    OK I've just done a quick scan on the internet about the frequencies.

UK vodafone is 2135-2150 for 3G. Does that mean I can receive 3G if I go TMobile US?
    I see

GSM 850/900/1800/1900 as the 3G frequencies, so no 3G on T-Mobile USA.

BlackBerry Bold 9700 - New BlackBerry Bold 9700 Smartphone Vodafone
    03-24-10 12:04 AM
    With T-Mobile US you won't get 3G. You will get EDGE thought. For BBM EDGE is more then enough but a little slow for browsing online and you can just ignore christopherp.

03-24-10 12:07 AM
    I see

GSM 850/900/1800/1900 as the 3G frequencies, so no 3G on T-Mobile USA.

BlackBerry Bold 9700 - New BlackBerry Bold 9700 Smartphone Vodafone

Awww bawls hahaha.

It'd just be nice to use 3G as the internet would be faster but if it's EDGE then no biggie. I was just looking to be a douchebooker/twotter mainly with the odd navigation (considering I'll be like a proper tourist within the first month or so)

I didn't think you could get BB services with prepay?
    03-24-10 12:07 AM
    Navigation will be fine. I'm from Canada and went to the US for vacation last summer and I got a T-Mobile sim card for 3 weeks and I'm happy to say it was fine. All instant messages are like on 3G, navigation using Google Maps and BlackBerry Maps was fine too, only thing slower was Web browsing.

03-24-10 12:14 AM
    I live in the middle of nowhere (T-Mobile / 9700) and have zero 3G here. I'd have to drive a few hours to get near a 3G area. So I use Edge, and find it very acceptable. Web browsing isn't actually bad (using Opera), Google Maps works fine, instant messaging is no different, and even Pandora works if you're patient and let it buffer. 3G is nice, but it isn't everything. People survived just fine before it even existed
    03-24-10 12:19 AM
    Ahh thanks for sharing your experience without 3G.

Seems like I've been spoilt a bit but I can live off EDGE. As long as I don't live in an area that can only receive GPRS.
    03-24-10 12:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD