11-15-11 08:01 PM
75 123
tools
    -USB Drive-

I'm not sure if the rest of the bb users out there utilize this feature, but i find the USB Drive feature quite useful. After my computer reads my bb as a flash drive, i can save a document, photo, or mp3 and access later on my phone to send via bbm, email or mms. I could also create a new folder altogether for future use (although this can also be done through the phone itself w/o the usb support).

For my personal use, the mp3 portion comes in handy because i enjoy creating ringtones from snippets of songs or sound effects with a 128kbit - 320kbit clarity. If anyone asks later about that ringtone, i can send it off to that individual & be done!

Emailing documents has proven to be useful as well. I can't comment on the simplicity of this feature on iOS or Android because ive never owned either devices. What i can say is that the bb process of attaching a document to an email is practically flawless.

Go to your message list > hit "C" to Compose email > bb menu > Attach File.

Also love the shortcut key of "Hold Shift, hit Trackpad" to paste after text has been copied.
    Chrisy likes this.
    11-09-11 08:15 AM
    This is a great thread for new users like me. I think I have learned more in just the few minutes of reading this thread then I have for the last month. Thanks everyone for posting what you have so far.
    One of my time saving favorite features (so far), I am not sure if it is exclusive to BB or it is just app supported, but I like how my BB integrated my Facebook contact's and pictures in my phone contact list. My contact makes a change on Facebook and it changes the BB contact automatically.
    Also, if I am looking for a contact number on a business website I can just click on the phone number on the webpage or app, like Poynt, and make the call without having to write the number down and dial it.
    Like others have said, its the little things. Been very happy with my BB and it's ease of use so far.
    Thanks to everyone once again. Keep the hints and tips a coming.
    00stryder and sam_b77 like this.
    11-09-11 08:16 AM
    Adding to the list....

- Universal Search on OS 6+ is a killer time saver - you know that you had an email with the word "donkey" in it at one point over the last 2 weeks, but you can't remember when or who sent it. Type donkey from the home screen and you're there in about 2 seconds.

- on touch devices in your email instead of N and P, swipe left and right to go through your inbox. edit: I think you can swipe with your track pad too, so possibly not limited to touch devices. Might be OS6+

- integrating Text Messaging contacts to BBM so that it's seamless to you

- 26 custom speed dial keys including the w/1 for voicemail

- double space for a period/new sentence.

- hold briefly for capital letter

- it knows you're in en email entry form and on the first space adds an @ and the second time you hit space, it enters a period.

- it knows you're in a phone entry form and automatically uses numbers instead of the alphabet.

- it knows when there's been an address or phone number entered in an email (most of the time) and creates a hyperlink to the appropriate app. ie: a phone number when clicked dials it, or "right click" to copy, etc. An address opens BB Maps to it.

- absolute best exchange integration - better than even Microsoft who owns the product!

- Notifications for everything

BB really is the best choice for productivity, hands down.
    Last edited by advil_yum; 11-09-11 at 08:35 AM.
    Chrisy and 00stryder like this.
    11-09-11 08:31 AM
    Also, i find that typing the following come in handy at times when needed in messages

mypin = <insert your pin here>

mynumber = <insert your number>

You can also type 'myver' to get your bb model/current os!

neat little tricks like these make bb awesome!
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    11-09-11 09:11 AM
    Great thread!

I just fell in love with SCM, NFC and MediaKeyBooster.

The BlackBerry is probably the most customizable device out there. You could own a BB for ever and not take advantage of this but it is. SCM, NFC and MediaKeyBooster just take it over the top.

My phone can now do the following (and it does it without security breaches or sucking your battery):

VolUpKey.
    1 click launches my camera (gotta get those kids before they move. They are fast but my BB is even faster now - sometimes :-))
    2 clicks launches my video recorder
    3 clicks launches my contacts (don't even need to look at it as I pull it from my holster. click, click, click, "so what that number?"
    4 clicks launches my calendar ("Hmmm... Let me check. How about Tuesday at 1:00 PM instead)

middle/pause launches maps

VolumeDownkey
    1 click launches my flashlight (use it in the morning as I leave early for work and don't have to look at night vision killing screen)
    2 clicks launches voice recorder (note to self and all that but supper fast)
    3 clicks SCM menu (allows me to launch about 10 things)

Naturally being just a tad compulsive I could not stop there and used NFC.
    I have a tag on my car that does the following without any additional clicks or voice commands:
    1. e-mail wife I am leaving work
    2. turn off wifi
    3. turn on BT
    4. launch Drivesafe.ly and turns it on.

The convenience key is set to Vlingo (thanks RIM, this is a pretty good app)

I'm not going to spend time countering the uninvited non-BB users that already started posting on this thread but I will say that my Bold 9930 is just the best phone for me. It has all the goodies we've come to expect on a BlackBerry and now I can do so much more faster.

If anyone has not used the above apps before but would like to set something up, there are threads available but I'd be happy to help any BlackBerry users with some tips. I needed a bit of help and a fellow CrackBerry user helped me out.

Super Charge your Convenience or Media Keys. I love my BlackBerry 9930

Go RIM!!

By the way, did mention I am a bit compulsive?, I also am tired of the critics against RIM (and therefore MY BlackBerry) so I actually had my wife (a graphic designer) put together a t-shirt and long sleeve to show my support for RIM and makes a pretty good workout t-shirt too.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 11-09-11 at 09:34 AM.
    00stryder, sam_b77 and Dapper37 like this.
    11-09-11 09:15 AM
    ^love it!!
    11-09-11 09:25 AM
    Maybe I'm late, but I never noticed this until I got my Bold 9930. Not sure if my old 8900 had these shortcuts.

Pressing each letter on the keyboard from the Home Screen is a BB shortcut:

W - brings up weather app
    T - opens Tasks
    Y - Yahoo Messenger
    U - Calculator
    O - Options
    P - Phone Log
    A - Contacts
    S - Speed Dial
    D - MemoPad
    G- Google Talk
    H - Help
    L - Calendar
    X - Windows Live
    C - Contacts
    V - Saved Messages
    B - opens Browser
    N - BBM
    M - Messages

Sent using Tapatalk
    C - Compose (takes you to contacts for composing an email)
    11-09-11 09:42 AM
    Sam,
    This could turn out to be an all time best thread. Love it. New users and older ones are going to get a great deal from it.

I did not see the one all important delete prior.
    From the date, select menu, then delete prior will wipe away all your previous e-mails.

I get a ton of e-mail and 90% of it is just nice to know so to keep my inbox from exploding I use this three or four times a day.

Love my BlackBerry!
    sam_b77 likes this.
    11-09-11 09:44 AM
    I have to say I love my Blackberry because I can customize my ring tones from email accounts, to SMS, BBM, even third party apps like Ubersocial can have an individual tone (Even my alarm is a custom ringtone).

What I love the most is that I can make custom tones for each of my contacts. I can have a tone for someone's SMS and their phone calls. The ease of creating my own ring tones FOR FREE and using them on my phone effortlessly makes my BB my right hand man.

It's a simple thing that makes me love my BB.
    11-09-11 09:54 AM
    C - Compose (takes you to contacts for composing an email)
    oh! you're right! Thanks!
    11-09-11 10:01 AM
    Not just BBOS but specifically the new 99xx Bolds. I like having a great keyboard, a great trackpad and touch all in one device. Their are times when each of the 3 is the superior input method for me.

No other device has this (right?)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    11-09-11 10:07 AM
    Not just BBOS but specifically the new 99xx Bolds. I like having a great keyboard, a great trackpad and touch all in one device. Their are times when each of the 3 is the superior input method for me.

Definitely!

Touch for quick access, Trackpad for precision and editing, and Keyboard for accurate input.

Best combo ever!
    Bob G likes this.
    11-09-11 10:43 AM
    Wow, There is still a lot of love for BB's out here.
    I've been a BB user for 5 yrs now, and I thought I knew it all, but I just learnt a lot of new things here.
    Maybe the mods should make this a sticky to show new users the power of the platform.
    Great stuff guys...
    11-09-11 12:46 PM

I know what you mean. My wife has the HTC legend and it has an Optical trackDot like the trackpad on BBs. But that TrackDot is incidental and I never use it if I'm using her phone, while on my 9900 I use the full combo of Touch, Trackpad and Keyboard.
    11-09-11 01:42 PM
    Finally !! its so nice to see a thread where people are actually praising the blackberry and not constantly trashing it and complaining about it ! wonderful !
    11-09-11 02:42 PM
    Apologies Tonis for being so ambiguous. I was typing on my pb and in my haste tried to shorten what I meant to say and it did not come out right.

I was referring to how in many cases, for example when entering information for an sms such as contact, title, msg body, you can scroll to the next field using the enter key. In the case of entering username and pw info, pushing enter twice will jump to the next field and select it, which usually is the submit or login button. I used to have to type in a lot of the information on my old t9 phone and I really appreciate this feature how small it may seem.

I hope this clarifies.
    OMG... I am gonna try this. I had no idea you could do this and it used to sh## me i couldn't tab! Thanks!
    11-09-11 06:39 PM
    Not sure if it's already been mentioned cos i can't be bothered reading all the above but the P and N buttons also work in music player. I've also noticed if you hold the volume up or down buttons you can move between tracks too. I found that the other day. Weird how I've had the thing for almost a year and i'm still discovering shortcuts.
    11-09-11 06:41 PM
    Adding to the list....

- Universal Search on OS 6+ is a killer time saver - you know that you had an email with the word "donkey" in it at one point over the last 2 weeks, but you can't remember when or who sent it. Type donkey from the home screen and you're there in about 2 seconds.

- on touch devices in your email instead of N and P, swipe left and right to go through your inbox. edit: I think you can swipe with your track pad too, so possibly not limited to touch devices. Might be OS6+

- integrating Text Messaging contacts to BBM so that it's seamless to you

- 26 custom speed dial keys including the w/1 for voicemail

- double space for a period/new sentence.

- hold briefly for capital letter

- it knows you're in en email entry form and on the first space adds an @ and the second time you hit space, it enters a period.

- it knows you're in a phone entry form and automatically uses numbers instead of the alphabet.

- it knows when there's been an address or phone number entered in an email (most of the time) and creates a hyperlink to the appropriate app. ie: a phone number when clicked dials it, or "right click" to copy, etc. An address opens BB Maps to it.

- absolute best exchange integration - better than even Microsoft who owns the product!

- Notifications for everything

BB really is the best choice for productivity, hands down.
    I like the ability to hold a key to get a capital letter so well that I made a script (via "AutoHotKey") to make my PC keyboards work the same way. In my recent hiatus to
    Android, I could never find an app to duplicate that functionality.

It is hard to point to a single feature, but I get the sense from using many different mobile platforms that RIM has really thought through the details and made it so much easier to get things done. That doesn't make for a flashy TV commercial, but in daily use, it really makes a difference to me.
    11-09-11 07:18 PM
    A year later, I still double tap the space bar for periods. LOVED THAT FEATURE.
    11-09-11 08:44 PM
    You can hold shift then scroll and highlight multiple emails to delete at once.
    11-09-11 09:01 PM
    Adding to the list....
    I'm running the Storm2 9550 on Verizon and you can definitely accomplish this on OS5. It took me a while to find out about this one but quite useful. Also works with BBM too!

Naturally being just a tad compulsive I could not stop there and used NFC.
    I have a tag on my car that does the following without any additional clicks or voice commands:
    1. e-mail wife I am leaving work
    2. turn off wifi
    3. turn on BT
    4. launch Drivesafe.ly and turns it on.
    Sir, you epitomize the definition of a Crackberry Abuser! That is awesome though!
    11-09-11 10:16 PM
    I'm relatively new to blackberry. My intro to bb was a little red world edition.
    I fell in love with it and bb. When I finally decided to be bold,pardon the pun, and venture into upgrade possibilities I had a friend who talked me into trying his Droid something. Pretty phone.Neat apps. The first try- out, switched back to bb at 2am. Talked into trying Droid again. 2nd time lasted a few hours, middle of the night switched back to bb. No more vacillating between for me. Last switch back to bb and it felt like home to me . Now have the ever lovely Bold 9900. After reading every single post on this thread (whew..) I'm so excited to explore my Bold
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

11-10-11 10:29 AM
    Another BB plus is how it deals with carrier bloatware.

With BB you get a series of web launchers that use up little memory and help you to install the apps if YOU WANT to. If you don't want them they are easily hidden and forgotten about.

11-10-11 07:37 PM
    Its an automatic feature. Kinda like when you type "wer" it will be replaced with "we're" automatically. The nice part is you can actually create or edit ur own word subs. That's what I think he's trying to say anyway..correct me if I'm wrong!

Nope, you sir are correct. thanks, i never realized i even got a response to it.
    11-15-11 07:53 PM
    Sounds useful, never saw that before. I tried the BB menu in email.. Never saw it. where do you get it.
    sorry about the delay, but i think CONGZ answered it. and along with words, i replace words or anagrams with entire paragraphs. for example, i use "bbprotect" to explain all that blackberry protect does, all the way down to not "really" needing to do device swaps through the desktop software anymore.
    11-15-11 08:01 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD