Quickly calling people is a problem I have on my iPhone now.
    Kinda ironic when the name itself is i-PHONE. But meh, people could over look that.
    11-06-11 12:17 PM
    Keyboard shortcuts
    LED light that's customizable
    Sound profiles
    Native file manager
    Battery life
    Device size
    Keyboard
    Spell check and NOT auto correct
    Auto text
    11-06-11 12:22 PM
    Yea, native file manager. That's a good one I always forget to mention.
    11-06-11 01:28 PM
    Keyboard shortcuts
    LED light that's customizable
    Sound profiles
    Native file manager
    Battery life
    Device size
    Keyboard
    Spell check and NOT auto correct
    Auto text
    I've got mixed feelings about time.
    There are times I wished it had autocorrect, but after upgrading to Lion (yea I use a Mac),
    I found auto correct to be a PITA.
    Sometimes it auto corrects into something else and if Im not looking, I don't even know what it has auto corrected to.
    So kind of on the fence on that one.

Edit: Right here is the example. I must have made a typo and Lion's autocorrect made "that" into "time"
    11-06-11 02:11 PM
    Yea, native file manager. That's a good one I always forget to mention.
    Me too. I launch almost all my documents and videos from the file manager. I like the way that you can sort videos into folders to quickly find what you want to see. Instead of scrolling through a list of every video that is on the sd card. It's a real time saver.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    00stryder likes this.
    11-06-11 03:41 PM
    I find myself going into file manager quite often to click "show hidden" in order to view some of my pics.
    MikeOWaterloo likes this.
    11-06-11 04:29 PM
    I'm sorry but this is simply incorrect. From within an app, all you have to do is double click the iPhone's home button to bring up the multitask bar. Double click it again to close the bar and stay in the app. If you're going to critique something make sure you've fully researched it first.
    I'm sorry, but this is simply incorrect. When you are in an app and you double click the home button, you can NOT close the app you are in. You have to go to the home screen to completely close the app you are in. You can close other apps, but not the one that is open. If you are going to call someone out about being wrong, make sure you be fully researched it first.

BTW, I'm using an iPhone right now.
    00stryder and AlienSlacker like this.
    11-06-11 08:43 PM
    1) The physical keyboard is simply awesome!! Makes you wanna use it to type long emails/messages!!

2) Pressing the "space" key to get a fullstop.

11-06-11 10:07 PM
    Maybe I'm late, but I never noticed this until I got my Bold 9930. Not sure if my old 8900 had these shortcuts.

Pressing each letter on the keyboard from the Home Screen is a BB shortcut:

W - brings up weather app
    T - opens Tasks
    Y - Yahoo Messenger
    U - Calculator
    O - Options
    P - Phone Log
    A - Contacts
    S - Speed Dial
    D - MemoPad
    G- Google Talk
    H - Help
    L - Calendar
    X - Windows Live
    C - Contacts
    V - Saved Messages
    B - opens Browser
    N - BBM
    M - Messages

Sent using Tapatalk
    11-07-11 06:15 AM
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, maybe I'm part of the small group that uses it a lot, but Word Substitution is a winner to me. If you're someone who people come to for info so you say/type the same thing often, word sub will save a lot of time.

00stryder likes this.
    11-08-11 11:59 PM
    i really love the new buttons on the 9790 and 9850/60's

11-09-11 12:09 AM
    i would prefer to see rim incorporate more of those cool buttons

i love my playbook because it is great for stuff

and my 9810 also handles stuff gnarly

for some reason i actually want 2 playbooks and a 9790
    11-09-11 12:11 AM
    Well, I have a few things. I just got an iPhone 4S (for free) so I'm testing it out for a week or so before I go back to my 9930. Here are the things I've learned to appreciate from my BB.

With multiple email accounts, you can have each account make a different ringtone for when a message comes in.

You can also have each account (and texts, bbm, etc) have a different amount of rings when a messages comes in.

You can close an app from inside an app. (Amazes me that you can't do this on the iPhone. You have to go to the homescreen, open the multitasking dock which is very unintuitive, press and hold the app you want to close, and then press the little minus key. Then you have to press the home button again to go back to normal).

I miss the LED and the ability to make it blink different colors for different reasons.

I miss having more than 1 button on the phone.

Take email for example....when I'm in a message and I want to back out to my folder before I close out of the mail app (so next time I open it up I'm at the root folder) I have to press the back button on the top left a couple times, then click the home botton on the bottom of the phone to go back to the home screen. On the BB, you can just press the back button a few times and you go back to the root folder AND can close the app.

I know the things I mentioned are little things, but the little things are what people don't realize that BB does great. With improved hardware, the only way a BB is inferior is with the apps and the app engines. It's a pick your poison game and right now people are choosing apps over the little things.

EDIT:

Let me add another thing....

Managing Connections is the best on BB (os 6 and 7). It is terrible on the iPhone, you have to go through 3 different menus to turn on/off your cell connections, wifi, and bluetooth. With BB, you press the top bar on the homescreen and check or uncheck each one. I like that even better than Android (which I've had) with widgets. Widgets are found only on one of the homescreen panes whereas the drop down bar if found at the top of the homescreen no matter what pane you are looking at.
    I just wanted to honestly take this time, and thank you for not being like the other thousands of people that use an iphone and start blackberry bashing! I know your just "trying it out" but still most take this time to start ranting on and on why their iphone is soo much better, when truth be told I think they're just kinda annoyed with the lack of blackberry type features that they've grown to love. Anyway thanks. BB IV Life Holmes

11-09-11 12:22 AM
    I love this thread! Everything mentioned is standard when owning a bb device, it's what we expect from a smartphone which is why while reading this I figured out why I get so frustrated using a certain other phone...It lacks the most simplest things and I feel in terms of functionality I'm dumbing down.

Some of my most appreciated features:
    Copy and paste something I use about 10x a day..so easy so simple
    And "Find on Page".. when I'm googling articles and need to quickly skip to the specific info I'm looking for, the Find on Page will highlight the phrase I entered, and the "find next on page" will go to the next match.

This feature is a lifesaver when I'm on my gaming website and I'm trading items with people and I have to search through their lists of hundreds of items for the item I'm looking for.
    11-09-11 12:27 AM
    Great thread, somewhat overdue. Cool to learn something new about BB phones, Thanks Sam
    11-09-11 12:29 AM
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, maybe I'm part of the small group that uses it a lot, but Word Substitution is a winner to me. If you're someone who people come to for info so you say/type the same thing often, word sub will save a lot of time.

Sounds useful, never saw that before. I tried the BB menu in email.. Never saw it. where do you get it.
    11-09-11 12:33 AM
    Sounds useful, never saw that before. I tried the BB menu in email.. Never saw it. where do you get it.
    Its an automatic feature. Kinda like when you type "wer" it will be replaced with "we're" automatically. The nice part is you can actually create or edit ur own word subs. That's what I think he's trying to say anyway..correct me if I'm wrong!

Dapper37 and kidmac13 like this.
    11-09-11 01:00 AM
    SureType
    Used that all the time on my Storm. Miss it on the Bold
    I hope/assume the BBX phone will have SureType as an option on the virtual keyboard.
    Do the new Torch models have it?
    11-09-11 01:05 AM
    SureType
    Used that all the time on my Storm. Miss it on the Bold
    I hope/assume the BBX phone will have SureType as an option on the virtual keyboard.
    Do the new Torch models have it?
    The Torch 9850/9860's have the SureType option

Great thread. AutoText is definitely a BB plus for me!
    11-09-11 02:34 AM
    I am not sure if this is what you guys mean but I actually love the fact (correct me, if I am wrong), that even wiping the phone does not get rid of your password. I have wiped my phone of the OS to upgrade it and I am still prompted to enter my password in Loader.
    11-09-11 04:17 AM
    BBM Music ... loving it!
    11-09-11 05:19 AM
    These are all great. What would also be great is when in a memo, if there were a way (especially if it's a long memo) that you could quickly get to the bottom. I don't believe there's a way to do that. Obviously, T & B don't work in memos.
    alt "trackpad up" alt "trackpad down" kind sir. just like on emails

It does the same thing
    11-09-11 06:18 AM

+100

Yes, Yes, YES!

This is a huge feature for folks like me who type long entries. I cannot express how useful it is.
    guerllamo7 likes this.
    11-09-11 06:50 AM
    As a playbook owner there is one feature I love on my BB...BRIDGE or as I point out to my i toting friends...no wifi....no problem
    11-09-11 07:22 AM
    3 reasons why I ditched my iphone 4 and went back to BB..now a happy Bold 9900 BBer:

1. Keyboard
    2. Email search function..great at managing long list of emails
    3. LED + BeBuzz...without picking up my BB, I know who has emailed me, or whether I have BBM, SMS, or email..
    Chrisy likes this.
    11-09-11 07:50 AM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD