I'm sure there are threads on this one somewhere. Did a search and didn't find many.
    I'm in India where the SMS advertising has become a menace. Typically I receive a between 100-150 SMS everyday selling eveverything from homes to insurance policies to TVs and its driving me and every other cell phone user mad.
    The Telecom Regulator in India is trying to formulate a system by which these spam SMS advertisers would need to use a special identifier and then they can be blocked by a user by signing up to a DND list, but this seems to be a little complicated and hasn't taken effect yet. In the meantime most cell phone users have their SMS inbox full of non-sense.
    After 5 yrs of using BB's, I just discovered the firewall option.
    This allowed me to block all SMSs except for those from my contact list. This is one of the coolest features I have discovered on my phone.
    I was so kicked about it that I sent a message to all my BBM contact list and everyone was so happy.
    The thing is that features like these are in built into the BB.
    I don't care about a 100 Angry Birds type games as long as I get these essential features from my communication device.
    Thing is, none of my BBM friends knew about this. This one feature makes the BB stand out. No app reqd, no special plans needed. Its simply a part of the OS.
    Why aren't these features advertised or displayed in Red Letters?
    The minute I told my wife about this and she wanted the same on her Android. Checked the security settings on Android and there was no way to block spam messages. Complete fail. Bring all the fancy widgets, games etc but this one feature makes life easier beyond belief.
    I just think that RIM should really highlight their inherent strengths better. They just have so much to offer as a purely personal communication device, but they are intent on playing to other's strenghts rather than highlight their own.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-11 05:38 PM
    Amen. Blackberry rocks where it counts.

No marketing campaign by competitors will confuse me about that.

During the natural disaster in N.Y. the only way to communicate was BBM. So, like you say, keep the apps and games coming but secure and reliable communications is the priority. BB has this in their DNA, adding games is nice and I welcome it but not at the expense of what matters.

BBM Music is coming, BB Movies are on the way, the Android Player is coming, on and on but the best smart phone is already here and it is a Blackberry.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 09-17-11 at 06:14 PM.
    09-17-11 06:10 PM
    During the natural disaster in N.Y. the only way to communicate was BBM. So, like you say, keep the apps and games coming but secure and reliable communications is the priority. BB has this in their DNA, adding games is nice and I welcome it but not at the expense of what matters.
    I don't know if BBM performance would have been any different from, say, WhatsApp, Viber, or Kakaotalk. I have heard stories of people who communicated with each other via WhatsApp and Kakaotalk after the Japanese disaster, so I'm sure it was fine during the NY one.

I do agree that RIM commercials fail to emphasize the strengths of the platform... I always laugh at the one where the guy is so proud of his weather app. Because that's really what sets BB's apart (Weather Channel at that--not even BeWeather)
    09-18-11 02:42 AM
    this is a great feature, i've used it a lot, it's not on iOS, it is however on android, for your girl:
    open dialer application > menu key > blocked callers

this blocks calls AND sms from the number you add
    sam_b77 likes this.
    09-18-11 04:01 AM
    this is a great feature, i've used it a lot, it's not on iOS, it is however on android, for your girl:
    open dialer application > menu key > blocked callers

this blocks calls AND sms from the number you add
    Not my "girl" but wife. They are just not the same
    Thanks for the info though.
    But still won't block the pesky ads as they come from anonymous identifiers.
    09-18-11 04:37 AM
    @Katie,
    Just tried it on my "wife's" HTC Legend, but the option for Blocked Callers doesnt come up.
    Android 2.2
    09-18-11 04:40 AM
    OS6 and OS7 have additional settings in sms options to block advertisement texts and anonymous text, on top of the firewall settings.
    09-18-11 04:42 AM
    OS6 and OS7 have additional settings in sms options to block advertisement texts and anonymous text, on top of the firewall settings.
    Yea noticed those but the Block Ads options is not working in India.
    Something to do with network properties I guess.
    09-18-11 04:45 AM
    After I got two texts that const me 2.50 each in my last bill I now have everything blocked, in the firewall and sms settings, just to be sure.

You're right, RIM should shout this from the top of their voice.

09-18-11 04:57 AM
    After I got two texts that const me 2.50 each in my last bill I now have everything blocked, in the firewall and sms settings, just to be sure.

You're right, RIM should shout this from the top of their voice.

how did the 2 texts cost you money? i thought you dont get charged if you open sms'?!!

or was it something they duped you into opening and you got charged for it??!!
    09-18-11 08:44 AM
    @Katie,
    Just tried it on my "wife's" HTC Legend, but the option for Blocked Callers doesnt come up.
    Android 2.2
    Odd it works on my MyTouch4G and my wifes G2

Sent via Android.
    09-18-11 08:47 AM
    how did the 2 texts cost you money? i thought you dont get charged if you open sms'?!!

or was it something they duped you into opening and you got charged for it??!!
    They were both from a premium number, after a search I discovered they came from a company called 2ERGO, just google 2ergo scam and see what comes up. I started a thread about this on the iphone section as the company seems to be making apps for a lot of high profile companies: AT&T, National Geographics, Fox News, Pizza express

09-18-11 08:49 AM
    So this is not unique to BBs either, Sam? 0 for 2...

Just messing with ya, man...
    09-18-11 09:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD