I'm looking at buying a BB pearl, but I will be using my SIM card (ATT) from the phone that work provides which does not have any data or internet services on the plan (just basic phone service). I'm really not buying it for the browser ability but to avoid having to carry a phone and a Palm for the info stored in it. I know I can sync and transfer things w/ my computer but how much will I be handicapped without a data plan. I wonder if ATT has a way to just bill me for a data plan and my company for the phone service. Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark
    06-28-08 04:08 PM
    Before anyone else comes telling you how a
    BB without a data plan is pointless and such...
    You will not be handicapped at all. If all you need
    is a phone and PDA function, the Pearl is a great choice.

As long as you know what you cannot do with it and
    are OK with that, go for it.
    06-28-08 04:14 PM
    Thanks for the reply
    06-28-08 04:19 PM
    Without a data plan you will not have email, Internet or BlackBerry Messenger.
    Very douptful that AT&T will let you have the data plan on your own, when the SIM is the company's, but you can ask.
    06-28-08 04:21 PM
    [QUOTE=tyroni;438421]Without a data plan you will not have email, Internet or BlackBerry Messenger.
    QUOTE]
    Yes I realized that and this might be a dumb question but could I recieve Blackberry messages and email on my computer? What about downloading ringtones,games etc.?
    Last edited by markr362; 06-28-08 at 04:40 PM.
    06-28-08 04:35 PM
    Yes I realized that and this might be a dumb question but could you recieve Blackberry messages and email on my computer?
    Email, yes. But not the @blackberry.net address.
    Blackberry Messenger, No. that only works
    BB to BB and you would need data for that.
    06-28-08 04:39 PM
    Thanks, I don't want to sound like an fool but I may not be able to have a data plan.
    06-28-08 04:42 PM
    Thanks, I don't want to sound like an fool but I may not be able to have a data plan.
    Trust me you don't. My point was that as simply a phone
    and PDA the Pearl still rocks. You'll be happy with it either
    way.
    06-28-08 04:59 PM
    Trust me you don't. My point was that as simply a phone
    and PDA the Pearl still rocks. You'll be happy with it either
    way.
    Amazingly is right i have a pearl, presently i don't go online because i am using a pre paid sim but i like the phone better without. BB's still are one of the best user friendly phones, great syncing, excellent blue tooth and so many different capabilities that BB's have become a must have for me data plan or not.
    06-28-08 05:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD