Let me start this off by saying I am a proud Windows Phone 8 user, but I am a phone and gadget ***** my loyalty lies wherever a product serves my needs best at that particular time. Having said that I am always keeping my eyes open for new devices. I was and have been excited about BB's come back for a while now, competition is a great thing as I believe it is a major part in driving innovation.

Since yesterday I have combed my typical tech blogs to get "expert" analysis and opinion (which most are stating theirs as fact) and its shocking to me how many are slamming BB's efforts. I am not new to bad press... i have a windows phone there is no shortage of naysayers about my current OS of choice but it seems to me, much like with wp8, there is a concerted effort to turn people away from anything that's not android or apple.

Its like they were expecting the phone to be a mini optimus prime and transform into a personal warrior or something. The Z10 is on par with the majority of the phones out there and its been proven time and time again that specs aren't everything if the hardware and software know how to work well with each other. It just gets under my skin that people who have the influence refuse to report from an objective/non biased point of view. I realize there is no such thing as purely objective but these guys aren't even trying to hide it. They "doomed" the device before any official information was released and continue to do so even after seeing how it performs.

As of right now im content with my lumia 920 but I am rooting for you guys, I hope that BB can continue to move forward despite all of the obstacles they currently face and in my opinion the Z10 may not be a phone with a spec sheet that reads like its on steroids but to me its is a step in the right direction. I will take quality over spec quantity any day.
    01-31-13 07:52 AM
    Hmmm. Most of the reviews I have read are positive. BGR was down on it. Engadget lukewarm. But then the NYTimes (D Pogue) praised it. CNN did a well. The Verge was balanced. ZDNet liked it. CNet overall was more positive than not. Are you talking about sites dedicated to Android, etc.? Yeah I would expect those to be more negative.
    brianatbb likes this.
    01-31-13 07:57 AM
    It isn't the game changer that some were expecting or promising.
    It is revolutionary for a BlackBerry, but my Lumia 920 does several things better (ok, differently) and the Zed 10 is just another smartphone.
    01-31-13 08:04 AM
    no, I try my best to steer clear of sites geared towards other platforms for review. I cant even go to my normal WP Central site right now because of all the needless bickering when comparing WP8 to BB10. I felt like the verge was mostly negative but tried to be a little more positive in the closing paragraph, Engadget as well was to me was more on the negative side than anything. My local news website did an article that I read this morning basically dismissing BB all together, along with a few articles in the finance sector that basically said bb10 did little to energize investors so its likely to tank... i dunno from my view it just seems not a whole lot of positives are floating around... maybe its all in my head.
    01-31-13 08:07 AM
    First off I didn't expect the press to be like "OMG......HEAD EXPLODES....BB10!!!!!!".

That said, I found a ton of negative press. Also a lot of negative personal opinions on people that haven't even held/touched/used a Zed10. I think it's impressive what BlackBerry has done by bringing a viable option to the tech race. Canada Stand Up!
    bluetroll and shemaree09 like this.
    01-31-13 08:32 AM
    BGR = negative
    Engadget = negative
    CNET = negative with some positive out of sympathy
    Yahoo = Surprisingly positive, I was expecting negative

On launch when they revealed BBM screen share, engadget was like "oh yeh, a pretty standard thing for a desktop app", like seriously, your comparing the BB10 to a desktop to take away any credit by calling it out as standard.
    MoolahMitch likes this.
    01-31-13 08:42 AM
    Yeah, the media is down on RIM or Blackberry as they are called now for years. I don't get it? Its either praising Apple products with incremental upgrades every year or Android with its battery draining, hit n miss phones that run its different forms, and messy OS with ads up the bumhole?

Here is BB10, an all new OS just starting out with potential far greater than any OS ever to grace a mobile device. HTML developed apps, Android porting, the newest, and most advanced OS out there!?!?!?! While Apple is rocking a 6 year old OS locked into iTunes in their mobile devices and Android 5 year old messy OS that often drains battery faster than Lindsey Loan can drain a forty?
    01-31-13 08:49 AM
    I hope BB10 proves them wrong and make them eat their words...I'm sick of all the excuses too they put out there...being late in the game, poor camera ( they fu.**..ng tested it with poor light, this is no dslr ), they don't have instagram, hulu...( well it does not mean it's not getting there they are in negotiations..) and the biggest of all, the late release in USA bothers them....

The US carriers announced their support on BB10 long before the launch. So it's not likely that they would do that based on a phantom phone. They have it in their hands for sure. And we've heard now that their testing lab is taking a little longer than other carriers. What miracle I would hope is that they can pull the release closer after the super bowl game. That would have a good impact on US consumers and everything else will be forgiven...here's to hoping.
    Last edited by La Emperor; 01-31-13 at 09:34 AM.
    01-31-13 09:12 AM
    There is no doubt that iPhone is great for those whose needs don't exceed its capability. But there are people who need much more than what the iPhone can offer.

There is something called post-purchase rationalization (aka buyer's stockholm syndrome). People who fork out $700 year after year for a flashy iPhone that doesn't do much to replace the desktop (emphasis added) simply cannot rejoice at seeing something that can now do exactly just that. They need to keep justifying that single-tasking is less confusing to the user. That the home button is a non-techie's life-saver. That a 15-megapixel camera and 8-core processor are things that you cannot live without.
    bluetroll likes this.
    01-31-13 09:58 AM
    There is a difference between a negative review and a biased or unbalanced review. If you are looking for glowing reviews and not finding them, maybe that is telling you something.

I've read many reviews (endgadget, techradar, verge, cnet, etc.). They all seemed balanced to me even when, in the end, they were hardly glowing endorsements of BB10. There was praise in all of them but it was balanced with some serious, and I believe honestly held, concerns. Such as the continuing app issue and reliance on ported android apps (which surprised me) that don't really work all that well, such as perceived awkwardness with how the OS works ("The homescreen concept is interesting, but failed to convince me that it was a better solution than what Android proposes. ... The end result is a feeling of unpredictability. Not only can you not control which apps remain open or where they're located, you also don't have a consistent sense of where to find certain pieces of information. If you're like me, you like to be able to glance at things like the weather quickly and conveniently — even Apple gets this one kind of right in iOS' Notification Center — but BlackBerry 10 provides no such option." and "behavioral inefficiencies that wear on you over time."), inconsistent menus, having to go to the Active Frames window to open apps inserts an unnecessary step, very limited photo options (you can't even change resolution), serious concerns about the battery life ("deeply disappointed" was a common refrain), a very basic map app (perhaps a killer for me) that doesn't even launch from within apps like Yelp or Google searches, limited file manager, notification limitations, etc. etc.

I'll be waiting to see how BB10 performs on my PB before making any phone decisions. But at this point, I see little reason to make the change from android. What I see is a phone that gives existing BB phone users a reason to stick with Rim in that it is a competitive device, but little compelling reason to expect android and apple users to give them up. I really was hoping for something more compelling, not least because I own Rim stock (bought at 10 and change). I'm a little disappointed.
    rottonj likes this.
    01-31-13 10:00 AM
    I don't think the media is negative but rather luke-wake, there seems to a gap between the hype that Blackberry was trying to push and the reality of the devices. The general consensus I am getting from trying to read as many reviews as possible is:

1) Some nice features and ideas that others should adopt

2) Blackberry balance will be a winner with the corporate niche

3) Browser is average in real world usage

4) Poor battery life

5) Average to mediocre camera

6) Not a massive shift as promised

7) Overall picture is that it is something that might be of interest to blackberry hardcore but presents nothing that would cause large numbers of consumers to switch from the current duopoly.

Notice - I say that is the SUMMARY I'm picking up so some individual reviews are saying that the browser is pretty fast, I'm just presenting my take on the overall consensus - people are free to disagree. There is another thread of commentary which is far more positive about the devices but basically suggest that it is too little too late - the Telegraph is a good example, it gives the Z10 4/5 but concludes the review with "too late, not different enough".
    mikeo007 and fedakd like this.
    01-31-13 10:08 AM
    Here is BB10, an all new OS just starting out with potential far greater than any OS ever to grace a mobile device. HTML developed apps, Android porting, the newest, and most advanced OS out there!?!?!?!
    Can you explain how BB 10 is the most advanced OS out there please. For all the love of QNX, it is a phone. Just another phone.
    mikeo007, Coachbulldog and Drew808 like this.
    01-31-13 10:11 AM
    I found many of the reviews to be balanced. In many cases, good constructive criticism that RIM should take and address. Gellar from BGR I think was the worst. If the Z10 could walk on water Gellar would just complain that it didn't swim.
    01-31-13 10:12 AM
    i like the word balanced too. Some are overly hard maybe but most i read are balanced
    01-31-13 10:59 AM
    I found tons of good to excellent Blackberry 10 reviews.

There are always the usual suspects that have their own agenda, easy enough to weed some of them out.

Let me start this off by saying I am a proud Windows Phone 8 user, but I am a phone and gadget ***** my loyalty lies wherever a product serves my needs best at that particular time. Having said that I am always keeping my eyes open for new devices. I was and have been excited about BB's come back for a while now, competition is a great thing as I believe it is a major part in driving innovation.

Since yesterday I have combed my typical tech blogs to get "expert" analysis and opinion (which most are stating theirs as fact) and its shocking to me how many are slamming BB's efforts. I am not new to bad press... i have a windows phone there is no shortage of naysayers about my current OS of choice but it seems to me, much like with wp8, there is a concerted effort to turn people away from anything that's not android or apple.

Its like they were expecting the phone to be a mini optimus prime and transform into a personal warrior or something. The Z10 is on par with the majority of the phones out there and its been proven time and time again that specs aren't everything if the hardware and software know how to work well with each other. It just gets under my skin that people who have the influence refuse to report from an objective/non biased point of view. I realize there is no such thing as purely objective but these guys aren't even trying to hide it. They "doomed" the device before any official information was released and continue to do so even after seeing how it performs.

As of right now im content with my lumia 920 but I am rooting for you guys, I hope that BB can continue to move forward despite all of the obstacles they currently face and in my opinion the Z10 may not be a phone with a spec sheet that reads like its on steroids but to me its is a step in the right direction. I will take quality over spec quantity any day.
    01-31-13 02:45 PM
    It isn't the game changer that some were expecting or promising.
    It is revolutionary for a BlackBerry, but my Lumia 920 does several things better (ok, differently) and the Zed 10 is just another smartphone.
    As long as it can convince 10% or more Apple and Android users to switch, it will be a success.
    01-31-13 02:52 PM
    Yeah, the media is down on RIM or Blackberry as they are called now for years. I don't get it? Its either praising Apple products with incremental upgrades every year or Android with its battery draining, hit n miss phones that run its different forms, and messy OS with ads up the bumhole?
    Or it's because month after month, device after device, RIM/BB has consistently missed the mark. BB has a lot to overcome with BBX and a flashy new OS isn't going to change minds until it's in the hands of people and they begin to realize how it actually works.

Here is BB10, an all new OS just starting out with potential far greater than any OS ever to grace a mobile device. HTML developed apps, Android porting, the newest, and most advanced OS out there!?!?!?! While Apple is rocking a 6 year old OS locked into iTunes in their mobile devices and Android 5 year old messy OS that often drains battery faster than Lindsey Loan can drain a forty?
    Apple has proven time and again that their devices work. Same thing with Android. They're not popular because Steve Jobs slept with some woman at CNN and every other major news source.

What has BB done over the years? Half baked attempts at keeping up with iPhones and delays after delays with BBX? I don't blame the media for being negative. Give it time. They'll come around if BBX is as good as Heins said it is.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    01-31-13 02:53 PM
    Interesting.

To me, when wondering if the press has an irrational hatred of BlackBerry, it boils down to one question: is the Z10 (or Q10) the best device for most people at this time? I think an honest, unbiased answer to that may help us all put the reviews in perspective.
    howarmat, mikeo007 and Drew808 like this.
    01-31-13 02:58 PM
    Interesting.

To me, when wondering if the press has an irrational hatred of BlackBerry, it boils down to one question: is the Z10 (or Q10) the best device for most people at this time? I think an honest, unbiased answer to that may help us all put the reviews in perspective.

there you go bein logical and balanced again......you really need to stop that, it's quite annoying.....
    howarmat and mikeo007 like this.
    01-31-13 03:04 PM
    How can you complaint about the number of apps when you get the top 1000 thousands! and more beyond that. **** I mean who the **** would use 1000 ******* apps anyways!
    I mean most of the complaints were on the lack of apps! And some on the camera (don't know there). And there was that idiotic mashable video where 5 dudes and gals test a Z10 without having the tutorial...
    01-31-13 03:11 PM
    Can you explain how BB 10 is the most advanced OS out there please. For all the love of QNX, it is a phone. Just another phone.

Just to qualify your statement......you'll have to explain what everyone else does better? If a system has upside, potential and new features, then be unbias, and review it as such.

The majority of reviews I have read/watched, have called it a "great" device, then go on to say, but people likely won't like it or switch to it.....Huh? They are implying to people what they should and shouldn't like about it....seriously WTF? Those same folks have been screeming for innovation from BB, then blast this OS for being different. Its maddening reading some of the junk out there.

At its heart, BB10 IS the most revolutionary OS on the market, and HAS the highest scaleable and future potential to evolve of any OS on the market. It is a Microkernal multi tasking wizardry of technology. To me there is no arguement about that, but some of the negative reviews are focusing on things that are as if they are written by the sales staff at Apple or Google (ie different to use, or not enough apps at launch...etc). To me, the US oulets (which I notice are the mjority with the negative spin), are doing themselves a great diservice by trying to convince people to be complacent with iOS and Droid systems which IMO are getting long in the tooth.

The bottom line to me is this, and I would welcome a resonable debate, but....

BB10 excels in these areas:

-Native typing
    -Browsing
    -Efficiency of use (Flow)
    -Multi tasking
    -Display quality
    -Centralized messaging (Hub)
    -Baked in social media messaging (Hub)
    -Camera features (Time shift)
    -One handed use

It is on par in the following areas:

-General speed and fluidity
    -General overall looks
    -Battery life
    -Feel in the hands

Needs work in the following areas:

-Intuitive options in messaging folder
    -Continued app support (although 70K at launch is nothing to sneeze at)

Conclusion: Is it perfect....NO, but who is?

If you are looking to something different, and want improvement (granted incrimental), in performance and features, BB10 does indeed provide this. So once again, why would someone NOT switch? To me the reasons can be made for both.

As I explained to my collegue today who said he is disappointed, because he see's no compelling reason for him to switch from iOS to BB, to which I replied, funny, but I feel the exact opposite way ......
    01-31-13 03:20 PM
    BGR = negative
    Engadget = negative
    CNET = negative with some positive out of sympathy
    Yahoo = Surprisingly positive, I was expecting negative

On launch when they revealed BBM screen share, engadget was like "oh yeh, a pretty standard thing for a desktop app", like seriously, your comparing the BB10 to a desktop to take away any credit by calling it out as standard.
    Yahoo's click bait rotating title for the review is "is the new blackberry any good?".

They couldnt have called it something more positive like they do for other phones?
    goodcoffy likes this.
    01-31-13 03:36 PM
    The bottom line to me is this, and I would welcome a resonable debate, but....
    Here is a start to the debate you requested.

BB10 excels in these areas:
    -Native typing Agreed, but means nothing since Android is not bound to a single native keyboard
    -Browsing Reviews say otherwise. At best it's on par, at worst it is below average.
    -Efficiency of use (Flow) Your opinion, valid but not shared by everyone.
    -Multi tasking Different != better.
    -Display quality Higher PPI, yes. Better quality, no. Look at reviews comparing screens, colour reproduction and brightness
    -Centralized messaging (Hub) It's a universal inbox at its heart. Nothing new, just the method to access it is new. It also has some jarring behaviour when viewing multiple notifications and is extremely inefficient in dealing with organizing and deleting messages
    -Baked in social media messaging (Hub) Every OS offers this, no advantage over Android, a bit better than iOS
    -Camera features (Time shift) No panorama, stupid method of focusing. Time shift is cool, but you can't just ignore the downsides.
    -One handed use I've never had a problem using any phone with one hand. Again, only an opinion.

It is on par in the following areas:

-General speed and fluidity Give or take, agree. I would say worse than iOS, equal to most Android devices
    -General overall looks Agree, it doesn't stand out or fall behind in looks
    -Battery life Battery life has been poor in reviews.
    -Feel in the hands No even a real category...come on
    01-31-13 03:38 PM
    As long as it can convince 10% or more Apple and Android users to switch, it will be a success.
    Attainable goal too. I'm sure there are a lot of folks like me that left BlackBerry but have always left the door open to return. If the new BB10 95% of the current BB users and wins back 10% of those who left for other devices then BlackBerry is on the road to success.
    01-31-13 03:46 PM
    News crawler on MSNBC:

"The reviews are in: BB10 is "neat and tidy" but no different"

No different than what FFS? No different than the legacy devices or competitors?
    01-31-13 03:59 PM
52 123