This has been driving me crazy so I'm hoping someone can help me out. My sister is on my BB Messenger list and whenever she sends me an SMS or a message through BB Messenger, I get the little blue balloon icon at the top of my Home page indicating there's a new message. I don't get a starred Messages icon or starred SMS And MMS icon at the bottom so I have no way of telling where the new message is without checking both. And the ringtone I have set for her for messages isn't going off either. I set the ringtone up the exact same way I did for a few other people who aren't on BB Messenger and it works fine for those contacts.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Ideally I'd like the appropriate icon at the bottom (Messages or SMS and MMS) to be starred and for the ringtone to go off.

I'm using a Blackberry Curve 8530 from Sprint.

Thanks,
    Kristy
    02-18-10 10:15 PM
    BBM is completly different from SMS. I don't know of any way to assign specific ringtones to BBM contacts, but if you're not getting sounds at all, you need to go to: Sounds, Set Ring Tones/Alerts, Instant Messages, BBM New Message and check your settings. It sounds like you have the notifications turned off.
    02-18-10 10:24 PM
    Two solutions:

1. In BBM> Go to the contacts profile> Hit menu button> Hit "Remove Contacts Link"

2. Have your sister send you BBM's instead of SMS's.

Also, That blue balloon icon is for BBM's.
    02-18-10 10:30 PM
    I removed the Contacts Link and that didn't help. I'm still getting the BBM blue icon on the top of the Home page for both SMS messages and BBM messages from her. And when it's an SMS message from her, the SMS icon at the bottom is NOT starred like it is with everyone else so I can't tell if it's a BBM message or an SMS message without checking both. This is very annoying!!

Any other suggestions?
    02-19-10 06:33 AM
    I removed my sister from my BBM contacts and had her send me an SMS. I got the ringtone as expected and the starred SMS indicator at the bottom. So BB Messenger is definitely messing with things.
    02-19-10 10:04 AM
    In case anyone cares , problem solved!

I think I somehow linked my sister in my address book to my sister in my BBM contact list and that's what caused the problem. I'm not sure why removing the contact link as suggested didn't work.

So I removed her from my BBM contact list and then re-added her and now when she sends me an SMS message, I get the appropriate ringtone with a starred SMS icon on the bottom of my home page. And when she sends me a BBM message, I get the appropriate ring tone and a starred Messages icon on the bottom of my home page.
    02-19-10 10:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD