Everytime i open up Blackberry Messenger it has this dialog saying "Please enter your name as you would like others to see it" The only two options i see are "Ok" and "Cancel" If i click on "Ok" another pop up appears saying "Your name cannot be empty" and if i hit "Cancel" it exits BB messenger. There is NO field for me to enter my name or anything, does anyone have a clue of what's going on?

PS; How does one perform a reset on a blackberry? When i deleted an application it said i must reset, i clicked later.
    02-10-08 06:37 PM
    from within BB messenger, hit menu, select edit my info.

To reset BB, pull battery while BB is on, wait a few seconds then re-insert.
    02-10-08 06:46 PM
    from within BB messenger, hit menu, select edit my info.

To reset BB, pull battery while BB is on, wait a few seconds then re-insert.
    Thanks for the reply but i can't do ANYTHING with BB messenger the dialogs won't go away. Their preventing me from pushing menu the only thing i can do is hit "Ok" to make the dialog pop up in my face again or hit "Cancel" to exit the application. It's very frustrating since this is my first blackberry but thank you for your reply.
    02-10-08 06:51 PM
    Have you simply tried entering a name when that message appears? BB Messenger - User Name Issue
    Last edited by sunkast; 02-10-08 at 07:03 PM.
    02-10-08 06:53 PM
    My name is already in my BB messenger and I did not put it there. I'm wondering, just wondering, if BBM pulls your name from the "owner" section of the BB itself?

Just a thought!

~P
    02-10-08 07:00 PM
    Sunkast thank you for the link! I was very impatient and did the drastic thing of deleting BB messenger thinking I could just reinstall it and it'll work, obviously that was the wrong thing to do since I visited mobile.blackberry.com and tried to download BB messenger from there and it said my 8800 is unsupported! Is there anywhere I can reinstall it without having to reinstall the whole OS?

Thanks guys and sorry for being such a noob

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-08 07:16 PM
    Yes, but let's try one thing first. With the BB Browser open press menu and choose options.

Select Browser Configuration.

Scroll down to Emulation Mode. Make sure it is set to BlackBerry. If it already is then there are some other way to get BB Messenger back.
    02-10-08 07:26 PM
    I'll just go ahead and post the other method. The other method is to use the application loader with Desktop Manager. I will assume you already have DM installed. Next you will want to install the device os software for your BB. Make sure you install the same version as what you have on your phone.

You can check what version you are using by going to Options > about, and the third line should start with a v and something like 4.2.*. If you install a newer version that what is on your phone, then you will end up upgrading which can take up to 20 mins. So make sure you get the correct version.

Go to your carriers web site to download the software.

Install the software.

Next launch Desktop Manager and connect your BB. Click on App loaded and check the box for BB Messenger.

My steps are a little rough but thats about the jist of it.
    02-10-08 07:32 PM
    i've been having problems adding people... sigh.
    02-10-08 08:46 PM
    Cate

Sometimes when u add via email address the recepient doesnt receive the alertt and this is because they are mostly using there BlackBerry address and not the email address you know. They forward emails to the BlackBerry address. They may change there reply to address and you will think it was sent from their actuall address.

I find it better to invite via PIN....

Mines: 205B8B21

well if u already knew then
    02-10-08 08:52 PM
    Cate

Sometimes when u add via email address the recepient doesnt receive the alertt and this is because they are mostly using there BlackBerry address and not the email address you know. They forward emails to the BlackBerry address. They may change there reply to address and you will think it was sent from their actuall address.

I find it better to invite via PIN....

Mines: 205B8B21

well if u already knew then
    Well, the odd thing is they accept yet they still show as pending. I did a couple of hard resets and nothing.
    02-10-08 09:31 PM
    Sounds to me like RIM needs to do some bug fixing with BB Messenger. I've heard far too many people having problems adding contacts.
    02-10-08 09:33 PM
    I've never used BBM, so I've assumed it was user error all along. I can't add anyone either... I've had two pin requests which remained as "pending" forever... I have pulled my battery and even used my DM to remove and reinstall BB Messenger to no avail!

Sure wish I could use it, I'd love to talk with other BB users!!

~Paige
    02-10-08 10:14 PM
    I got it to work! Thanks a bunch guys!
    02-11-08 02:19 AM
    i'm glad your problem's fixed!

now if mine could be...
    02-11-08 12:25 PM
    I've been having the same problem...my contacts say pending, but when my boyfriends tries to send me a message I get it in my email??
    02-11-08 05:13 PM
    hi, newbie here. I have 2 gmail accounts linked to the BB pearl. When I go to add a contact for the BB messenger, that person is getting a msg from the email account I dont want them to have. Is there a way to switch this? All I see is the screen name for editing, but nothing else.

Thanks!
    02-19-08 09:43 PM
    Its been mentioned here, but I haven't seen any solutions. I am not sure it my particular issue is unique or not. I can add people that work for my company. They obviously are on the same BES. But if I try to add someone who is a vendor or my wife, or anyone else, I get the "pending approval" notification for ever.
    I have already checked and there are not restrictions on our BES, according to the Security Manager. So, The question is...Anyone using BES have this problem? If not, thoughts on how to fix it?

thanks!!
    04-15-09 02:17 PM
    Hmmm i never had that problem
    04-15-09 02:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD