I'm running the 4.2.2.184 OS on my at&t curve. BB messenger keeps crashing with a Java Lang error. It shuts down the messenger prog but I can restart it and use it, but with minor limits, such as not seeing when someone is typing a message. Only way to fix is to do a battery pull. But then bb msgr will crash again without warning. Once it has crashed and it restart it will no crash again, but like I said earlier, with some limitations. If I use DM to remove BB msgr and then use DM to reinstall it, will I lose all my contacts? If I do a backup first and then a restore after I reinstall, won't the restore make it like it was to begin with. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-08 10:05 PM
    I'm running the 4.2.2.184 OS on my at&t curve. BB messenger keeps crashing with a Java Lang error. It shuts down the messenger prog but I can restart it and use it, but with minor limits, such as not seeing when someone is typing a message. Only way to fix is to do a battery pull. But then bb msgr will crash again without warning. Once it has crashed and it restart it will no crash again, but like I said earlier, with some limitations. If I use DM to remove BB msgr and then use DM to reinstall it, will I lose all my contacts? If I do a backup first and then a restore after I reinstall, won't the restore make it like it was to begin with. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'm having the same problem (same model/OS/carrier)!

I had it configured to show BB messenger in the Message list & it would make multiple entries in the message list when this error occured. Changed it in options to not show the BBm conversations in the message list, but the error perssists.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    04-06-08 09:33 PM
    Same exact problem here. I bet people think Im just deleting them but I did lose a few people reinstalling the OS and reloading BBM. This is driving me nuts. And it happens in the middle of the best convos too!

I wiped and restored from a backup file and the same thing is still happening to me.
    04-06-08 09:43 PM
    Now I'm getting a java error that says "illegal argument". It's only happening for me when I am in BBm.

I wish someone could tell me how to fix it.

Battery pulls are not the answer ... I tried multiple times!
    04-10-08 08:41 PM
    Welcome 2 the club guys/gals... I've been experiencing errors with 4.5.

DJ- You are so right. The best convos.
    04-10-08 09:00 PM
    I wiped the handheld data & selectively re-installed.

The other day BBm deleted someone on me! Only one person (the last person I had a conversation with) - FREAKY!

Also, I am having problems adding people. It stays in pending. It seems I can only add new people if they add me.

I also got an "out of bounds" java error. **sigh**
    04-14-08 08:31 PM
    Hmm The list is growing. Since I started this thread, I have upgraded my OS to 4.2.2.194. That did not fix the problem. I have never lost any convos or buddies from it though. And it appears to be totally random, as i cannot duplicate it at will. To me it's just a big annoyance. After it has crashed, I seem to lose that status thing at the bottom that says "So and so is typing a message" In order to fix that I have to do a battery pull and start fresh.
    Last edited by feetr2c; 04-20-08 at 07:37 PM.
    04-20-08 07:24 AM
    try disabling your content protection in security options. that fixed my bb msgr problems.
    04-20-08 08:51 AM
    try disabling your content protection in security options. that fixed my bb msgr problems.
    Just checked it - under General settings in security options. Already was disabled. Sigh.
    04-20-08 07:35 PM
    happens to me when i have 2+ conversations

alas, the only solution for me: battery pull, lol. i tried carrying on even after receiving all those error messages, but i couldn't stand the limitations you mentioned.
    04-20-08 07:45 PM
    Just checked it - under General settings in security options. Already was disabled. Sigh.
    Mine was already disabled, as well.

happens to me when i have 2+ conversations

alas, the only solution for me: battery pull, lol. i tried carrying on even after receiving all those error messages, but i couldn't stand the limitations you mentioned.
    It seems to happen for me most often with multiple conversations, however it has also happened with just one going, too.

Here's a couple screenshots of the errors I'm getting:
    Attachment 1644

Attachment 1645

Attachment 1646
    04-20-08 09:12 PM
    OK, today I was clicking through my groups ... and even though I shuld have had 20 in one of them .... it only showed 4 when expanded, even though the count stayed at 20! I closed it & re-opened it & it went back to normal. What the heck is going on with my BBm!?!?!

It's just going to self-destruct one day .....
    04-24-08 08:33 PM
    Have any of you tried to even reload BBM?

The BlackBerry OS is sometimes messes up on installations, just like any other software has the potential too...when in doubt..reload, also check to ensure you don't have duplicate versions installed as well.
    04-24-08 08:47 PM
    Have any of you tried to even reload BBM?

The BlackBerry OS is sometimes messes up on installations, just like any other software has the potential too...when in doubt..reload, also check to ensure you don't have duplicate versions installed as well.
    Yep - I reloaded to the next version up. I also wiped the handheld data.
    04-24-08 08:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD