I like using BB Maps with the GPS but the '>' symbol (for my location) will travel off screen and the screen doesn't refresh or move with it. So if I'm driving through a city and want to have a 'follow me' map of where I am at any moment I have to manually scroll to keep up with the location marker? Is there a setting I'm missing?

If it didn't follow my movements I'd understand but I don't know why it would move offscreen and not refresh. Ideas?
    12-04-08 09:08 PM
    you have to click the "start gps" button
    12-04-08 09:23 PM
    you have to click the "start gps" button
    I guess I wasn't clear.

I open BB Maps and hit Start GPS. It locks onto my location and once I start moving the red dot changes to a V that points in the direction I'm going. However once I'm driving and my location changes to be somewhere off the current screen it doesn't update the screen to show my new location. In essence, my 'V' drives off screen.

So if I'm driving through town and want to see where I am I have to manually drag the screen to follow my V. That seems pretty ridiculous for a GPS program, right?

I looked in options and there's no setting to 'follow', etc.
    12-04-08 09:31 PM
    Honestly I think Google Maps is alot better. Try it here from your phone.
    12-04-08 09:34 PM
    I guess I wasn't clear.

I open BB Maps and hit Start GPS. It locks onto my location and once I start moving the red dot changes to a V that points in the direction I'm going. However once I'm driving and my location changes to be somewhere off the current screen it doesn't update the screen to show my new location. In essence, my 'V' drives off screen.

So if I'm driving through town and want to see where I am I have to manually drag the screen to follow my V. That seems pretty ridiculous for a GPS program, right?

I have no problem with BB maps following my movement with either Storm. However, I do notice it holds onto your last function so if you were playing around with it that may be it. Start GPS, go to menu --> zoom on point (or something) then it should be following you.
    12-04-08 09:35 PM
    Honestly I think Google Maps is alot better. Try it here from your phone.
    I definitely agree but until it supports true GPS on the Storm I'm using VZ Nav or BB Maps. Although the Google Maps update is supposedly coming really soon.
    12-04-08 09:39 PM
    This is true Daniel-San
    12-04-08 09:39 PM
    I have no problem with BB maps following my movement with either Storm. However, I do notice it holds onto your last function so if you were playing around with it that may be it. Start GPS, go to menu --> zoom on point (or something) then it should be following you.
    So you're saying the map will update and scroll as your location changes? Hmm, I'll have to mess with that on my way home tonight, thanks for the info
    12-04-08 09:41 PM
    So you're saying the map will update and scroll as your location changes? Hmm, I'll have to mess with that on my way home tonight, thanks for the info
    yeah I tracked my way to work on day one . . . on the way home I planned a route and tracked. It actually works just like any GPS sytem in your car with two ommissions - re-routing and audible turn directions.
    12-04-08 09:45 PM
    I'm not clear on BB Maps...how do you "turn on" GPS?
    12-04-08 11:31 PM
    I'm not clear on BB Maps...how do you "turn on" GPS?
    When you open the program there are 4 buttons at the bottom of the screen. On the far left is a button that, when you tap without clicking, will identify itself as Start GPS Navigation. You can also access it from the menu.
    12-05-08 12:25 AM
    There are only 3 buttons: spyglass-(search) Get Directions Favorites
    Do I need to reload BB Maps again?
    12-05-08 01:22 AM
    What version do you have? I'm running .75.
    12-05-08 01:26 AM
    yeah I tracked my way to work on day one . . . on the way home I planned a route and tracked. It actually works just like any GPS sytem in your car with two ommissions - re-routing and audible turn directions.
    Are you talking about bb maps? because I only get audible turn directions with vz navigator and re-routing.
    12-05-08 01:34 AM
    Are you talking about bb maps? because I only get audible turn directions with vz navigator and re-routing.
    He said those are omissions in BB Maps, meaning they're missing
    12-05-08 01:42 AM
    Check your GPS options in the main option section of the phone. It may be under advanced options but I can't remember right now. r

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-05-08 01:51 AM
    actually when you first start the program you will get three buttons at the button and to get the fourth which would be the GPS button. you would need to go

options>advanced options>GPS> go to drop down menu for the gps services and go to location on>save> then go back to BB maps and then you will see where the GPS button is at on the bottom left....
    12-05-08 01:53 AM
    I've never used google maps on a phone before and since google cant (right now) use the storms GPS. What can I expect from google maps once gps is working good?

do the directions update as you drive? can it be a good navigator replacement?
    12-05-08 02:09 AM
    I've never used google maps on a phone before and since google cant (right now) use the storms GPS. What can I expect from google maps once gps is working good?

do the directions update as you drive? can it be a good navigator replacement?
    i don't think it reroutes if you get lost or off track, but i'd have to look at my friends iphone to make sure...

i do like it better than bbmaps though, hopefully the gps using update comes soon.
    12-05-08 02:35 AM
    I guess I wasn't clear.

I have the EXACT same problem. I'm a new Bold user and noticed the same thing. Did you ever get this sorted and if so how?? (Nothing in the thread seems to answer the question)
    12-18-08 01:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD