I need to get a new mp3 player, and the itouch 32 gig seems interesting... but I feel foolish buying it while I have a bold.. The itouch's selling points are music, touch screen , wifi, games...

Well, i don't need wifi / email, as I have the bb... games? whatever, my life is a tad busy for games, but wouldn't mind having them, but not a sellingpoint... 32 gig? hmm, my music will fit there, but seems kinda pricy (I think $399) for just what I am goign to use as mostly, music player and maybe video/movies when I travel.

Anyone using this combo, bb and itouch? It's like for the price, one might just get an itouch, but not an option for me... I actually use the bb to make a living vs a toy..

thoughts?
    06-19-09 10:43 AM
    I have a Touch, having "upgraded" from my old 5th generation iPod Classic. (I DON'T have a Blackberry yet; see my other post for questions re: other Mac users, integration with MobileMe, backup, calendars, etc...not sure whether to buy a Tour or wait until next year and get an iPhone.)

Anyway, my thoughts:

1) The sound is, in fact, better on the iPod Classic than the Touch. I had read this and now I've heard this. Why this should be, I have no idea, but it is a fact. You can change a little with the equalization, but...the Classic (5th generation, anyway) offers a LOT better sound. This is disappointing.

2) Cover Flow, etc. is very cool.

3) Adding appointments, calendar, contacts, etc. is elegant and cool. Integrating it, with backup, though is potentially confusing, unless you are using an iPhone. Sounds like you wouldn't need these features.

I can't comment re: the gaming; I have no use for that stuff....

4) Web access/email/browsing is excellent, screen is beautiful BUT...you are dependent on Wi-Fi, which practically doesn't exist outside of Starbucks where I live....

Best wishes.
    06-19-09 10:49 AM
    I use this combo. BB 8900 (soon it will be the Storm instead) and iPod touch 16 GB. I am a Mac User, so the neatless sync iPod with iTunes is a big selling point for me.

I record TV-Shows on my Mac (daily dose of CSI.. *lol*), they get synced with my iPod and deleted after I watched them. All I have to do for this is to plug in the iPod.

But, my biggest point: my BB is for work and the iPod is for fun. I don't like those two parts mixed up. I like to work on my BB and listen to the music/podcast on my iPod in the background. If a piece of music annoys me I go forward without stopping to work. I can save tons of pdfs, docs and xls on the 16 GB media card of my BB without any worry that there might be too much video files or too much music to do so. I can take as many pictures I want without any worry, too.

The sound quality of my iPod touch is better than of my previous iPod nano and the BB, so no complaints from me.
    06-19-09 11:10 AM
    I have a BB/iPod Touch too. Works well for me.
    06-19-09 11:16 AM
    I had an Itouch for a while. That's was until I got a 32g sd card for my bb. Now I can have all of the music,movies, and pdf files that I want on my bb. This was good for me so that I would not have to carry two devices.

For me there is no real need for games but I must have my music.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-09 11:20 AM
    1) The sound is, in fact, better on the iPod Classic than the Touch. I had read this and now I've heard this. Why this should be, I have no idea, but it is a fact. You can change a little with the equalization, but...the Classic (5th generation, anyway) offers a LOT better sound. This is disappointing.
    Hmm. Wonder what the diff between the Nano and the Touch is?

Also does the Touch have a slide lock, like all other iPods, or a screen lock like the iPhone?
    06-19-09 11:23 AM
    I have an Ipod Touch. Playing using with it has always worked better than with my Blackberry Curve. Wifi is not an issue because I use a Nokia N95, and it acts like a wifi router via the TMobile Edge network. The Touch can access emails, browse the web and even do a little Pandora streaming.

That said, be aware that the Ipod Touch does not seem to be compatible with car stereo Ipod connectors. Specifically, it work charge using the Blaupunkt connector, nor the BMW/MINI. My Nano works just fine with these.

If charging and playing music in your car is not an issue, that no biggie. The Touch is a fantastic gaming device, with tons of games available. Many are multiuser, over wifi, and my nephew and I can even play using the N95 as our router. Pretty neat.
    06-19-09 11:47 AM
    Hmm. Wonder what the diff between the Nano and the Touch is?

Also does the Touch have a slide lock, like all other iPods, or a screen lock like the iPhone?
    I am not sure if I understood your question right, but you lock the Touch by pressing a button on the side of the touch. Slide a virtual button on the screen to unlock it - like the iPhone.
    To activate the screen (and be able to slide the button) you have to push a (real) button - whether it is the "lock" button or the "center" button. No permanent light in my handbag because of occasional touch of one of the other things in there (if that was the reason for your question)

Even if your Touch is locked you have access to your music by doubleclicking the center button, which is really cool if you listen to your music in the car and want to skip one song (without fiddling to tap in your lock code, if you - like me - set one up)
    07-09-09 06:51 PM
    I also have a Blackberry and iPod Touch. Use them both daily. Have the 8320 and the 1st gen. 16gb Touch. I have songs on my BB but only use them when I don't have my iPod on me. Oh and nothing beats the Touch browser, so if you're around wifi alot, its definitely worth it. Best combo there is.
    07-09-09 07:06 PM
    I own a 8GB 1st gen Touch and a BB 8320. It's a great combo IMO. I mostly use the touch for music, video & web browsing and on my BB I send and check my emails, browse the web and IM. I love them both.

07-09-09 08:08 PM
    Its the best combo. I frequently use both at the same time. The bold is a great device but it can't do everything - don't try to kid yourself.

07-09-09 08:33 PM
    Yah.. Its the most perfect combination.
    Really enjoy my 8900 and ipod touch 2G.
    ? is the one for communication & social networking
    And, ipod touch with iphone OS (juz upgraded mine to 3.0) is just amazing!
    For media, full site browsing, application, games... Really fun!

07-11-09 12:53 PM
    Bringing back up my old thread... A year later and I'm still wanting an itouch, lol...

Is there a data plan specific for the itouch from ATT?

Is the GPS App , ie Tom Tom, good enough to replace an actual gps? Is it turn by turn voice, etc? I use google maps on my bb now, so anything would be better than that lol.. The GPS app is not a deal breaker, since a stand alone gps nowadays can be had for $100.
    12-27-10 11:52 AM
    I would just get a 32GB memory card and be done with it, as you don't need an extra bloated piece of fat software on your computer. That's just me, an avid Ubuntu user who still keeps windows for syncing of his blackberry.

12-27-10 12:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD