Having a BlackBerry doesn't suddenly make you immune to charges for voice or data used while abroad
    Activesync "push" email is constantly pinging the server from the device even with no new emails, think 5 email accounts doing this abroad over a week constantly, the data will add up.

BB email doesn't and you can receive 4 times the emails for the same data an iphone would use thanks to the data compression.
    12-09-11 03:54 PM
    I think everyone has dug into their foxholes on this one. This thread has run its course. Time for everyone to make a retreat from the brink.
    12-09-11 04:25 PM
    /thread

why is it still open then ?
    12-09-11 04:55 PM
    Activesync "push" email is constantly pinging the server from the device even with no new emails, think 5 email accounts doing this abroad over a week constantly, the data will add up.

BB email doesn't and you can receive 4 times the emails for the same data an iphone would use thanks to the data compression.
    Gotcha. From the way you worded your statement, it seemed to infer a different thing.

I think we all can agree data compression is a beautiful thing overseas when data charges are extraordinarily high; however, personally I'd be looking at local carriers and/or Wi-Fi regardless if I brought over a BlackBerry or iPhone or anything else. Have you seen the rates???

I guess for me, I can wait to visit a wi-fi spot or internet cafe to check on things, especially at the rates AT&T charges
    12-09-11 05:38 PM
    i never liked the fact that a bb is useless without a data plan because most of the things dont even work on wifi unlike the iphone which you can basically make a phone out of it over wifi
    12-09-11 08:48 PM
    i never liked the fact that a bb is useless without a data plan because most of the things dont even work on wifi unlike the iphone which you can basically make a phone out of it over wifi
    Well the iPhone is equally useless unless you pay for some Apps to make the phone feature filled.
    Different revenue models.
    Also remember BB is an end to end solution.BB is not just offering the hardware but also a service. If you want to use BB services you have to pay for them.
    12-09-11 08:58 PM
    well not really. on the iphone you can download an app called TextFree with Voice. it allows you to text and voip for free.
    12-09-11 10:21 PM
    Well the iPhone is equally useless unless you pay for some Apps to make the phone feature filled.
    ORLY. Funny, I didn't have that problem at all. In fact, I didn't pay for an app other than a game for months. The only apps I had downloaded were Facebook (free, and I also downloaded it for BB), Twitter (same, although I paid for UberTwitter for BB - the free iPhone one is good enough for me), CTV News (free), Score (free)...
    12-10-11 10:45 AM
    As stated above, this is actually a false statement. In fact, the phone is feature filled almost from the getgo (depends on whether you want an app like FaceBook). But you don't have to buy apps to get advantage of the iPhone.

Honestly, the only purchases I've made have been games or cool (imo) things like Star Walk. Everything else is free on my phone.
    12-10-11 12:26 PM
    You shouldn't really talk about things you apparently know little of. I have 40+ apps so far on my iPhone 4S and have not paid out a dime. With that, there is no comparison between functionality of my current setup and that of my last, a Bold 9650.

Yes, I realize the 9650 is at least a year old, but I'm comparing apps to apps here, not the hardware.
    12-10-11 12:36 PM
    sam_b77 was stating that the iPhone is equally useless without a data plan and that you have to pay for Apps to make the phone feature filled without a data plan (not necessarily true, see the Textfree example above). That was kingnba6's argument, that a blackberry without a data plan is useless but an iPhone without a data plan is not. That's a ridiculous and irrelevant argument because an iPhone without a data plan is an overpriced iPod touch.
    sam_b77 likes this.
    12-10-11 02:24 PM
    sam_b77 was stating that the iPhone is equally useless without a data plan and that you have to pay for Apps to make the phone feature filled without a data plan (not necessarily true, see the Textfree example above). That was kingnba6's argument, that a blackberry without a data plan is useless but an iPhone without a data plan is not. That's a ridiculous and irrelevant argument because an iPhone without a data plan is an overpriced iPod touch.
    Thank you for clarifying my point. Some above said I don't know much about iPhone. I probably know more than those accusing me of not knowing.

Both iPhone and BB are useless without a data plan. And the data plans are similarly priced.
    If one needs to be near a wifi to use the iPhone without the data plan, then they might as well get the iPod touch and call it quits.

And if someone would spend the time to go through the 17 pages of this thread, they will come across many iPhone fans who admit that the BB does things better out of the box but they get their iPhones to surpass the BB experience by purchasing apps and they do not have a problem buying apps to make it more functional. Not criticizing, just repeating what I read on this thread.
    12-10-11 03:45 PM
    Different revenue models.
    Also remember BB is an end to end solution.BB is not just offering the hardware but also a service. If you want to use BB services you have to pay for them.
    Nonsense. Why is the iPhone "useless" without additional apps? Features from apps are nice, not essential.

FWIW I don't think any smartphone is "useless" without additional apps.

And RIM is hardly alone in offering a "service" with their hardware. That's the problem - theirs is now too limited.

EDIT: Ugh. An iPhone without a data plan and outside of wifi is not a glorified iPod Touch. It is a plain phone.
    Last edited by TGR1; 12-10-11 at 04:07 PM.
    12-10-11 04:04 PM
    After reading 18 pages of this thread, this is my conclusion, quoting two paragraphs from the OP and replacing iPhone and Blackberry by what's in Caps:

I've now had my PEPSI for about a month and I notice more and more things each day that it does worse than COKE. It's been well documented what the PEPSI does better than COKE, so I'm not going to mention those things. I'm only going to talk about the stuff that most people don't bring up when comparing these REFRESHING BEVERAGES. This is all from the opinion of a 4 or so year COKE DRINKER that has DRANK RC COLA and PEPSI before.
    (...)
    I know some of that stuff seems like I'm nitpicking, but combined, they are a big deal. The PEPSI is incredibly smooth and fast, but it doesn't do the imporatant things well.
    I'll assume that y'all get my drift here, the choice between Coke and Pepsi tends to be very personal (heck, it might have been the first soft drink you ever had, hence your emotional loyalty to it), but in the end, they're almost the same thing....
    12-10-11 04:54 PM
    After reading 18 pages of this thread, this is my conclusion, quoting two paragraphs from the OP and replacing iPhone and Blackberry by what's in Caps:

I'll assume that y'all get my drift here, the choice between Coke and Pepsi tends to be very personal (heck, it might have been the first soft drink you ever had, hence your emotional loyalty to it), but in the end, they're almost the same thing....
    Great post!
    12-10-11 08:06 PM
    Nonsense. Why is the iPhone "useless" without additional apps? Features from apps are nice, not essential.

FWIW I don't think any smartphone is "useless" without additional apps.

And RIM is hardly alone in offering a "service" with their hardware. That's the problem - theirs is now too limited.

EDIT: Ugh. An iPhone without a data plan and outside of wifi is not a glorified iPod Touch. It is a plain phone.
    I was replying to a post by another user in which he claimed that the BB was useless without a BIS plan.
    Of course without a data plan both the BB and iPhone can be used as regular phones. And some features on both of them do not depend upon data plans being active.

I don't understand why people just jump over someone without comprehending the context in which the statement was made.
    12-11-11 07:16 AM
    When you aren't clear about who you're talking to, and what you mean.....well of course you'll get attacked on this forum.
    12-11-11 07:35 AM
    Im so sick of iPhone. I hate iphone. There such a scam. First they come out with a phone. 2 months later they come out with one thats a little better. Then a few months later another. I got so sick of it I switched to Android. But im not to happy with the Android either. So time to try BB.
    12-11-11 11:09 AM
    Im so sick of iPhone. I hate iphone. There such a scam. First they come out with a phone. 2 months later they come out with one thats a little better. Then a few months later another. I got so sick of it I switched to Android. But im not to happy with the Android either. So time to try BB.
    Actually, they (Apple) came out with a phone. A YEAR later they came out with another. A YEAR after that, another one. Then, if you haven't guessed by now, another YEAR later another device came out. Finally, the 4S took over a year to come out.

You switch to Android and a new Android device comes out every other week. That's not an exaggeration.

Enjoy your BB. RIM upgrades models about once a year as well, just like Apple does with the iPhone. According to your, BB will "scam" you as well...
    howarmat and phonejunky like this.
    12-11-11 11:16 AM

That's a graph of when the iPhone came out and its life cycle.

A new Android phone I swear comes out from someone every month. But phones within a line (such as the Droid) come out 10 months to a year.

BlackBerry varies; sometimes it'll take a year for an updated model to come out. Sometimes it'll be a lot less. Depends on the phone.

In short, all manufacturers follow about the same timeline for design, production (test), approval, production (final), and release due to all the hoops they have to jump through. They want to do this continuously to have the latest and best on the market.

So if the iPhone is a scam, so is any Android phone, and so is any BlackBerry phone.

Basically, please learn to research before you make ridiculous claims just to rile up iPhone users and garner support for BlackBerry users on a BlackBerry forum.
    phonejunky likes this.
    12-11-11 11:24 AM
    When you aren't clear about who you're talking to, and what you mean.....well of course you'll get attacked on this forum.
    NOT CLEAR??
    I quoted the post to which I was replying to. If you read that as well things would have been amply clear.
    I guess no one understands the nuances of the English language anymore.
    12-11-11 01:56 PM
    NOT CLEAR??
    I quoted the post to which I was replying to. If you read that as well things would have been amply clear.
    I guess no one understands the nuances of the English language anymore.
    Since I was the one doing the "attacking" (heavens, if you speak of nuance it was mild disagreement with the statement and not the poster), to expand:

As I stated in the next line, I disagreed with your counterpoint that another smartphone is equally "useless" as a BB without a data plan since I don't consider any smartphone to be useless without a data plan. Vendors install enough basics to make them useful for the average user on an average day (my assumption: external database access is not a basic requirement). Furthermore, at least here in urban North American centres it is pretty easy to find free wifi so the lack of a data plan isn't as significant. YMMV.
    12-11-11 03:21 PM
    You called Americans stupid. That's where it started and yet you edited your post like it never happened. Get that!

I am done with you.

Sent from my MD276LL using Tapatalk
    Boohoo... How dare me huh?
    I explained with extreme logic and reasoning why I think that the average American isn't as bright with my "controlled society" point of view, which explained and answered the question of the OP in that thread. Yet, because this forum, like most forums, is extremely political correct, I got my posts deleted and I got punished for, once again, stating an inconvenient truth, that the average Joe will not only misunderstand, but get offended by. And you're proof.

Here too, I never edited any post, my posts were deleted, and I got sanctioned for stating facts and figures (again), and yet got trolled by you and howarmat, who, as belfastdispatcher also made clear with his explanations on push, were DEAD wrong. You see how this is quite ridiculous? You start accusing me on something I am right about, and you are wrong and got proved wrong, you troll on top of that, yet... I get punished?

I actually got two sanctions, one for "offending other member" ??? and one for "trolling" ????. Ridiculous.

Not even gonna bother with the "I'm done" comment... LOL.

Belfast, just drop it bro. As you might have noticed, the people who reply are not only ignorant but also arrogant, and when you prove them wrong they come up with illogical and absurd reasoning on other questions, trying to relate them to the main point, just to deviate from the fact that they got proven wrong multiple times, no matter how arrogant they act...
    Last edited by Capitan Totti; 12-11-11 at 06:49 PM.
    12-11-11 06:05 PM

Play nice kids before I take your ball and stab it till the air runs out.
    12-11-11 06:25 PM
    So this is how the threads ends. Not with a bang but a whimper. Put it out of its misery!

So tired of fanboys at either extreme.

Please air your dirty laundry to each other in PM. No one else cares to watch the pissing match!
    12-11-11 06:36 PM
338 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD