No, it's largely based on the antenna, the carrier signal is the constant, the antenna differs from phone to phone.

All modern phones have to have the antenna at the bottom(furthest point from the head) except the iphone for some reason.
    Actually Bel, it has to do with both. The iPhone 4/4S perform the best for voice calls on VZW while they both fall behind on AT&T. AT&T has faster data speeds but that is about it.

The same goes for BBs, Androids and anything else. The carrier can and does make the difference. You cannot just assume it is the antenna, because the iPhone 4 does not drop nearly as many calls on VZW as it does on AT&T. The antenna design is slightly modified, but the new results on the 4S (which uses the same antenna on all carries) shows VZW is the best carrier for voice and signal strength (according to reviews).

I do agree that the antenna plays a big part, but not the only part.

http://www.phonedog.com/2011/11/18/i...l-reliability/
    Last edited by avt123; 12-03-11 at 11:47 AM.
    Accidental Post likes this.
    12-03-11 11:42 AM
    Honestly i have the 9900 now, i have had way too many problems with it. When i called blackberry to get it fixed, they told me to contact my service provider.

The problem is my service provider does not carry the 9900 (mine is unlocked, which also does NOT void the warranty)

I explained this to rim, but no surprise, garbage results.

Now with apple on the other side, i go in the store, 10 minutes later i come out with a brand new iphone.

Makes you wonder who has more money in the bank...

Over all if bbm was not on blackberry i would smash my 9900 so hard that it will never see any daylight again.
    lssanjose likes this.
    12-03-11 12:01 PM
    You still don't understand what a VPN is do you? We have 25000 employees and all of our clinicians have remote access to the hospital.

It is ABSOLUTELY is a Technical matter.

Cisco IOS IPsec - Cisco Systems

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk58...80094203.shtml

IPsec is the next-generation network layer crypto platform for the Cisco security platforms (Cisco IOS® Software, PIX, and so forth). Originally described in RFCs 1825 through 1829, which are now obsolete, IPsec is currently discussed in a number of documents presented by the IETF IP Security Working Group . IPsec currently supports IP version 4 unicast packets. IPv6 and multicast support is to arrive at a later time.

IPsec has these strengths over current Cisco crypto offerings:

Multivendor—Since the IPsec framework is standardized, customers are not locked into any specific vendor product. IPsec is found on routers, firewalls, and client desktops (Windows, Mac, and so forth).

Scalability—IPsec is designed with large enterprises in mind. Therefore, it has built-in key management.

Note: While several Cisco platforms can use IPsec, this document is geared towards Cisco IOS software.
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 12-03-11 at 01:45 PM.
    lssanjose likes this.
    12-03-11 12:05 PM
    I don't think your nitpicking. If that's what's important to you then that's how it is. When you boil down the complaints of ip and android owners the common denomanator is apps, apps, apps.
    I hear so much about ip's ui and how smooth it is. Well for me it sticks. I have meaty thumbs and fingers. When I try to scroll the app screen left or right I'm lauching all sorts of stuff or the icons start shaking. In the browser scroll for me is also a problem. Rim was thoughtful enough to give me a track ball/pad.
    I also use the top screen lock if I'm sitting my Torch down in the truck or if I'm in the middle of doing something and need my hands to do something else I hit the top screen lock either put my phone down or in my case. When I'm finished I just hit the screen lock and right back where I left off.
    Let's take what you said about the wireless functions of the iphone. To turn on or off these functions you have a list of things to do. On my BBs I just click the signal meter and I can do what ever I need to do to which ever service.
    As I've said time again I want menus and a file system. For me all these things I lose to the iphone makes the ui horrible.
    I couldn't agree more with you on wanting Menus and a File System. In my opinion is what makes a phone smart (partly). Whenever I share that POV with my iPhone friends they stare at me like a deer caught in a headlight.
    12-03-11 02:05 PM
    You still don't understand what a VPN is do you? We have 25000 employees and all of our clinicians have remote access to the hospital.

An Introduction to IP Security (IPSec) Encryption [IPSec Negotiation/IKE Protocols] - Cisco Systems

IPsec is the next-generation network layer crypto platform for the Cisco security platforms (Cisco IOS� Software, PIX, and so forth). Originally described in RFCs 1825 through 1829, which are now obsolete, IPsec is currently discussed in a number of documents presented by the IETF IP Security Working Group . IPsec currently supports IP version 4 unicast packets. IPv6 and multicast support is to arrive at a later time.

Multivendor—Since the IPsec framework is standardized, customers are not locked into any specific vendor product. IPsec is found on routers, firewalls, and client desktops (Windows, Mac, and so forth).

Scalability—IPsec is designed with large enterprises in mind. Therefore, it has built-in key management.

Note: While several Cisco platforms can use IPsec, this document is geared towards Cisco IOS software.
    And you still don't get my point, can all your clinicians access the hospital remotely from any device they want? Personal, public etc? Or are they restricted to work approved devices?
    melb_me likes this.
    12-03-11 05:07 PM
    Sounds super secure to me.......wink wink.

An Introduction to IP Security (IPSec) Encryption [IPSec Negotiation/IKE Protocols] - Cisco Systems

IPsec is the next-generation network layer crypto platform for the Cisco security platforms (Cisco IOS� Software, PIX, and so forth). Originally described in RFCs 1825 through 1829, which are now obsolete, IPsec is currently discussed in a number of documents presented by the IETF IP Security Working Group . IPsec currently supports IP version 4 unicast packets. IPv6 and multicast support is to arrive at a later time.

Jake Storm likes this.
    12-03-11 05:08 PM
    Any device they want as long as they have VPN credentials. It is a SECURE tunnel.

Sent from my MD276LL using Tapatalk
    12-03-11 05:44 PM
    So now everyone says CISCO IP Security isn't secure. The ignorance has now become evident. I really hate to tell you all but I would bet dime to donuts RIMs server sit behind CISCO equipment.

So either its pure stupidity or ignorance.

Either way either of you need some education and go look up telemedicine.

How do you think a Doctor in Europe can discuss a patient with a Doctor in the states? They share images and reports. I will give you a big hint. VPN.

And to help you out when CISCO mentions IOSThat is their OS not the iPhone.

Last edited by Accidental Post; 12-03-11 at 06:06 PM.
    12-03-11 05:45 PM
    I will absolutely completely and 100% agree with you that the tunnel is secure. No question what so ever.

Any device they want as long as they have VPN credentials. It is a SECURE tunnel.

12-03-11 06:25 PM
    Any device they want as long as they have VPN credentials. It is a SECURE tunnel. What if somebody steals your iphone?

So what happens if one clinician logs in using a virus riddled pc with a keylogger installed? Or a Carrier IQ Android?
    12-03-11 06:31 PM
    OP: It sounds like you have a defective phone, have not experienced almost any issue you have mentioned (I don't use Twitter, but do use Bluetooth, WiFi, Email [Exchange 2010], calls, etc... every day). The first iPhone 4 I purchased was defective, it could hardly remain on any wireless network, I exchanged it and now it works great.

I only have a Torch 9800 to compare to but I compared the wireless signal on them fairly extensively. I get a significantly stronger signal on my iPhone than on my 9800 on both my Cisco 1941w and SonicWALL TZ210w.

I strongly suggest replacing the defective phone with a new one if your issues remain.
    JR A likes this.
    12-03-11 06:36 PM
    So what happens if one clinician logs in using a virus riddled pc with a keylogger installed? Or a Carrier IQ Android?
    Let's see if I can break this down for you. I know this is futile but I will try. A VPN tunnel creates a Virtual Network that your device belongs to after successful login and handshake. Your device then is subject to the same rules that apply to the domain. If your device is infected the subnet you are attached to is sandboxed anyway so it is kept from the true domain. If your device is detected that it is doing anything malicious it will be dropped from the network. there enough layers of security to prevent any situations like that happening.

Put it this way how secure is RIM if your BB has CIQ?

Think about it because the BB9900 on TMO has it.

12-03-11 06:51 PM
    I'm thinkin' we all agree with and know exactly whats happening here but what Accidental Post is suggesting has been thoroughly reviewed where I am and it just ain't going to cut it. Not going to be allowed...rejected...nope...nada....sorry next. If you are comfortable with what you are doing in your jurisdiction Accidental Post good on you. But if 24,000 people are accessing a medical data base of personal medical data I hope the people who's data is being accesses know it's happening and how it's happening.
    12-03-11 07:06 PM
    I'm thinkin' we all agree with and know exactly whats happening here but what Accidental Post is suggesting has been thoroughly reviewed where I am and it just ain't going to cut it. Not going to be allowed...rejected...nope...nada....sorry next. If you are comfortable with what you are doing in your jurisdiction Accidental Post good on you. But if 24,000 people are accessing a medical data base of personal medical data I hope the people who's data is being accesses know it's happening and how it's happening.
    Go to your hospital and ask about telemedicine. I hope you never have to get life lined to a trauma center. Under your suspicion you would die.

And you probably secure your wireless at home with a password. SMH.

12-03-11 07:10 PM
    We are apparently talking about different things. What you are talking about is essentially a secure phone call which I am all for and agree 100% with your scenario. So please try to be nice.
    12-03-11 07:16 PM
    How does a secure phone call allow a doctor to see a CT Scan?

I know how. When you find out let me know. We practice medicine around the world it is a global deal. We have surgeons who can perform surgery thousand of miles away over the Internet through secure tunnels and robotics. Welcome to the 21st century. My Radiologists can receive images from anywhere in the world in minutes an read them. It is not rocket science. This is done very day.

Last edited by Accidental Post; 12-03-11 at 07:24 PM.
    12-03-11 07:21 PM
    twitter works great too. iphones twitter app is nicer than bb imo. But social scope on ios would be even better!!
    Twitter notifications are hit and miss and in most cases non existent on my 4s, add in no multiple signatures for different email accounts, no custom profiles, lousy email handling & notification system, no way that I can find the option to delete individual email messages only on the device and leave on the message on the server, horrid call quality, poor reception, no auto on/off, no trackpad, etc, etc. makes it very frustrating to use efficiently for business hence I'm going to dump mine. I do like the looks of it, the camera & Siri though - Luckily I kept all my Blackberries and my Atrix

EDIT: I should also add that not everything is rosey in the Blackberry world either - I am starting to get so frustrated with the 9860 that I want to throw it out the window! - The typing on that thing is the worst experience I have ever had on ANY phone! and it wanted to be an iphone competitor?? LOL
    Last edited by buwee; 12-03-11 at 08:07 PM.
    JR A, msmara and gregorylkelly like this.
    12-03-11 07:35 PM
    Twitter notifications are hit and miss and in most cases non existent on my 4s, add in no multiple signatures for different email accounts, no custom profiles, lousy email handling & notification system, no way that I can find the option to delete individual email messages only on the device and leave on the message on the server, horrid call quality, poor reception, no auto on/off, no trackpad, etc, etc. makes it very frustrating to use efficiently hence I'm going to dump mine. I do like the looks of it, the camera & Siri though - Luckily I kept all my Blackberries and my Atrix
    Well said!
    12-03-11 07:56 PM
    I had about 20 minutes to have some hands on experience with a 4S at a Sprint kiosk.

The only thing I like about the 4S (talking in terms of the phone specifically and not the eco-system [app market]) is the display. The 4S display is better. Things look brighter and more crisp than my 9930. This was expected and I was not surprised here; I don't think anyone would be either.

Everything else however just seemed "meh...". I do find that it's a little easier to type on the 4S vs the 3GS I'm more familiar with, but still, I'm a "touch-typist", which according to something I've read before, means I type faster because I can feel the surrounding keys.

Anyway... There wasn't anything about the phone that made me want to jump on it. That being said, the eco-system has more to offer in terms of content. I can see for the average user how it would be easier to buy music/movies/apps. For someone like me, who likes to just connect to a PC via USB and drag and drop movies and music I already have, this is a non issue. If I were to get an iPhone it would definitely be an iToy, but that is because I would be using it for entertainment, not because it's a useless phone. The only reason I would get an iPhone is because I want to buy into the iTunes/iOS eco-system, which to be honest, isn't my cup of tea.

Furthermore, I have been considering a "personal" device that I can use specifically for Netflix, Skype, games, etc. Right now, Android devices are in the lead for my "personal device" purchase. iPhone is in a distant second. I own a PlayBook, but lack of Netflix is disheartening. There are a lot of great games that have been ported to PB OS, but it still pales in comparison to what's available on the Android/iOS markets (not to mention that PB is pretty much expected to be the last OS to receive such games/apps). Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to replace my BB and PB; I'm wanting to supplement the two by having another device that fills the little gaps. I love my 9930, especially paired with my PB. That is the ultimate combo, at least for my needs, which are mainly communication and web surfing.
    12-04-11 12:06 AM
    How does a secure phone call allow a doctor to see a CT Scan?

I know how. When you find out let me know. We practice medicine around the world it is a global deal. We have surgeons who can perform surgery thousand of miles away over the Internet through secure tunnels and robotics. Welcome to the 21st century. My Radiologists can receive images from anywhere in the world in minutes an read them. It is not rocket science. This is done very day.

Ah, you still don't understand, you go on about the secure tunnel, we don't contest that, but you still need to enter log in details before you establish the tunnel no?

Point is, is your iphone approved by your employers? If anything happens to the system and it's traced back to your personal iphone will the costs be covered by the company's insurance?

I find it a little scary that you do your work from your personal iphone, the personal information of so many people is put at risk no matter how secure your tunnel is and let's face it, nothing is 100% secure.

I know my local traffic police are using BB to access insurance and car/driver license details etc, I'm sure as **** they wouldn't be allowed to use a personal computer to do it, even if they could.

"Put it this way how secure is RIM if your BB has CIQ?"

I don't use my personal device to access lots of private information, you are, that's the difference.

So it's still not clear, is your iphone approved to access your work servers or are you really supposed to use your issued blackberry(or other device) but over wifi instead of 3G?
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 12-04-11 at 03:24 AM.
    12-04-11 02:07 AM
    Of course I need to login that's how VPN works. I don't think you will ever understand.

I have used too much energy trying to knock down the brick wall. So therefore I give up. You win belfast hospitals all over the work live in unsecure environments and data is just floating around in cyberspace for anyone to grab. SMH

Does my employer approve any and all devices that connect to the hospital through VPN? Simple answer is NO with VPN there is no need to. That's what a VPN is for. My son understands this better than you do. I thought I could actually deal with you again so I took you off ignore and now I am reminded why you were there.

Last edited by Accidental Post; 12-04-11 at 06:25 AM.
    12-04-11 06:19 AM
    Of course I need to login that's how VPN works. I don't think you will ever understand.

I have used too much energy trying to knock down the brick wall. So therefore I give up. You win belfast hospitals all over the work live in unsecure environments and data is just floating around in cyberspace for anyone to grab. SMH

Stop dodging the question, does your employer know and approve the use of your own personal iphone to access and manipulate the hospital servers?

How safe it is to do it is irrelevant, I can safely do 90mph on the motorway but doesn't change the fact that the speed limit is 70mph.

Point is are you breaking hospital policies by using your own personal device?
    12-04-11 06:26 AM
    Ok the answer is YES. As long as the client can run IPSec it is ok to connect. Which all of my devices can. That's the point of VPN. As I have VPN credentials. But YOU are missing the point of VPN. VPN does not CARE what the device is. How hard is that to understand? If your device can run IPSec it does not matter what it is. No policy is being broken. Not ever. Do you understand what a VPN is? Obviously you don't. And to your analogy about speeding is your vehicle approved for use by the DOT? Dept of transportation or your govt?

One more to read. I know you won't but here it is anyway.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk372/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094865.shtml

Read this you may understand after.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network

Last edited by Accidental Post; 12-04-11 at 08:06 AM.
    12-04-11 07:51 AM
    I will admit this thread has shown me how absolutely clueless people are about the world around them and technology. I am not going explain VPN anymore if you don't get it you never will. I guess you think people physically sit behind servers 24/7 to make sure they are running.

Does anyone here understand simple technology like a VPN?

Last edited by Accidental Post; 12-04-11 at 08:10 AM.
    jebulls likes this.
    12-04-11 08:01 AM
    @Belfast,
    This one time Accidental is making sense.
    He is talking about a protocol standard.
    The Protocol is independant of the device. If his iPhone or any other device can run that protocol then he can login to his VPN without breaking any rules. The VPN is secure due to the protocol and blind to the device.
    12-04-11 09:15 AM
338 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD