It's how I feel. Not sure where you are but Canada is a free country and we are entitled to our opinion here.

IMO it is nothing more than a "Toy" I don't like it. If that bothers you I'm sorry but it's how I feel.
    You are of course entitled to your feelings or opinions. However, a lot of people will not consider your opinion objective or worthy of consideration since it seems to lack a rational basis.
    reeneebob likes this.
    12-02-11 08:15 PM
    Nice!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-11 08:18 PM
    Or a lack of maturity. Because I do own an iPhone4s and as a business tool. It gets it done.

First I will say I am a Systems Analyst in a Large Hospital and I need access to my desktop and servers whenever and wherever I am. So the iPhone can VPN over 3G and rdp to my desktop or servers.

BB's can't so saying it's a toy is a useless and ignorant statement. But your avi fits you.
    What do you mean BBs can't do that? There is software that allows you to remotely connect via different protocols (RDP, SSH, etc), and if your BES isn't sectioned off from the rest of your network, you don't even need to VPN in through the BlackBerry. I access internal websites and can ssh into our servers fine through the BES without VPN. So saying a BB can't is just wrong. There are a lot more app choices for remote connectivity on iPhone, but the apps exist on BlackBerry, such as Rove Mobile, although they are probably more expensive generally.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-02-11 09:13 PM
    Truthfully, in the app department I have a whole bevy of apps for the iPhone but rarely use any of them after a few weeks of play.

The Bold provides want I want need most of all and it's this simple:

- push mail that is easy to set up.
    - reasonably good phone call quality where the Bold is superior.
    - solid Bluetooth connectivity to a hands free set for driving.
    - the ability to send and receive text messages.

The 9900 now plays a integral role in the Play Book and works as it should.

I'm passing my iPhone on to a worthy recipient who's happy to get it and I have committed to the Black Berry phone for the foreseeable future.

As an aside I used the browser out of pocket on the 9900 the other day and completely forgot about using the touch screen. As soon as I began to use the touch capability for short and simple mobile web access the phone came into it's own as designed.

As a second aside I do follow a few twitter feeds and find that very easy to do as well.
    Well said and I agree with you completely. I find the 9900 and the PlayBook are an awesome combination.

I use a few core Apps that each platform provides ie TeleNav/FB/Twitter and Slacker. I always felt the majority off Apps are a waste of space and resources.

Here is an interesting Stat...12 months after installation only 4% of the Apps are still in use.

Are You Like Most People, and Stop Using Most Apps Soon After Installing Them? | 40Tech
    Last edited by RetroAndreas; 12-02-11 at 10:19 PM.
    12-02-11 09:51 PM
    It's statements like this that heat up these threads more than they help. I have had a Blackberry for years and have defended it but to say the iPhone is a just a toy shows a total lack of objectivity.
    As a previous Iphone4 owner I think he nailed it right on the head. The Iphone is nothing more than a toy with a mediocre phone attached to it.
    melb_me and Jake Storm like this.
    12-02-11 10:12 PM
    i've was a loyal BB user for 10 years, but my wife and i finally switched out of our BBs (mine was a 9650) to the new iphone 4S. I think BB is a good platform and does have some strengths over the iphone line (haven't used android yet), but overall in my opinion the 4S is a better user experience that is much more fulfilling, i can't put the darn thing down.

BBs strength is its messaging and email functions, but I felt it was behind in web surfing, apps, and media. Where the 4s strength is not it's email or messaging, though its still pretty darn good, but its strength is in everything else...web surfing, music, apps, pictures, 1080p video, video chat, etc.

There is clearly a fulfilling user experience that both my wife and I didn't get from our BBs.

I still jump on crackberry to see whats the latest in the BB world, but so far im hooked to the 4S.
    Caymancroc and JR A like this.
    12-02-11 11:02 PM
    All that being said, the iPhone 4 is clearly superior in the self combustion department.
    One iPhone combusts and now it's treated as a weapon of mass destruction. The press really blows up little news.
    12-02-11 11:35 PM
    actually it was 2
    12-02-11 11:51 PM
    As a previous Iphone4 owner I think he nailed it right on the head. The Iphone is nothing more than a toy with a mediocre phone attached to it.
    It really speaks poorly of a community when people have to use washed out insults with no supporting facts just to make themselves feel better about the phone they're using. This can be said for people hating on either platform.
    Last edited by tmelon; 12-03-11 at 12:05 AM.
    ADGrant and moiselles like this.
    12-03-11 12:00 AM
    i've was a loyal BB user for 10 years, but my wife and i finally switched out of our BBs (mine was a 9650) to the new iphone 4S. I think BB is a good platform and does have some strengths over the iphone line (haven't used android yet), but overall in my opinion the 4S is a better user experience that is much more fulfilling, i can't put the darn thing down.

BBs strength is its messaging and email functions, but I felt it was behind in web surfing, apps, and media. Where the 4s strength is not it's email or messaging, though its still pretty darn good, but its strength is in everything else...web surfing, music, apps, pictures, 1080p video, video chat, etc.

There is clearly a fulfilling user experience that both my wife and I didn't get from our BBs.

I still jump on crackberry to see whats the latest in the BB world, but so far im hooked to the 4S.
    I am in the same boat. I got the 4S a week ago and came from a 9780 (was with BB for many years... ~8 or 9? I don't know). iPhone 4S is easily the best phone I have used.

I have dictated emails that would have been far too long (and painful) to thumb out on my Blackberry. Today I used Numbers to generate last three year revenue graphs for my business and then import those into Keynote, where I streamed the presentation to business associates wirelessly via Apple TV (that took me about 5 mins to generate and a few seconds to stream to the big screen). I have signed documents with Adobe Ideas and emailed them instead of waiting to sign and fax back. I used the camera as a scanner and imported docs as PDFs into Dropbox. I have even dictated entire posts to Crackberry via voice recognition.

The phone is amazing. It is much more of a business device than anything Blackberry has at this time. The leap from BB to iP4S is akin from going from a bag phone to a Blackberry. It will be a long time before I look at a Blackberry again.

Bottom line, buy what you want and what works for you, but the iPhone is one of the most polished amazing tools for business out there. To call it a toy is hilarious. The toy now is Blackberry. The days of a phone just doing email are over. Phones are computers and Blackberry is not keeping up with the computing revolution.
    JR A likes this.
    12-03-11 12:17 AM
    hahah I felt this way the first week with my iphone lol
    I started telling all my BB friends how cool this iphone was.
    neglecting all the drop calls i was getting. why? because all the fun apps.
    that worded off after 2 weeks as I started missing a lot of little things
    from blackberry and the Amazing call quality. its a cell phone not a computer.
    the bad reception on iphones will always keep them as iToys in my mind
    ipod+kyocera phone= iphone
    sorry but that's my experience.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-03-11 12:33 AM
    Well I'd hate to ruin the fun for BB fans who claim that Blackberries is "better for calls" but you're either just parroting an old myth, or imagining things.

Blackberries DON'T pr default get better signal or voice quality.

First of all, we're talking about digital devices. It either works or not. It's not like that old, analogue landline, where there could be a significant difference in voice quality based on the device and connection used.

Secondly, RIM, like most other cell manufacturers, doesn't develop their radio chips and microphones themselves. They buy them from manufacturers like Qualcomm and others, just like Apple or HTC... So there is no RIM special sauce that provides superior voice quality. They use the same general parts like everybody else. So most of the perceived difference in "signal quality" is imaginary, and pretty much any difference at all in "voice quality" is all in your head.

So let's all quit repeating that tired myth, shall we?
    12-03-11 03:43 AM
    Well I'd hate to ruin the fun for BB fans who claim that Blackberries is "better for calls" but you're either just parroting an old myth, or imagining things.

First of all, we're talking about digital devices. It either works or not. It's not like that old, analogue landline, where there could be a significant difference in voice quality based on the device and connection used.

Secondly, RIM, like most other cell manufacturers, doesn't develop their radio chips and microphones themselves. They buy them from manufacturers like Qualcomm and others, just like Apple or HTC... So there is no RIM special sauce that provides superior voice quality. They use the same general parts like everybody else. So most of the perceived difference in "signal quality" is imaginary, and pretty much any difference at all in "voice quality" is all in your head.

What is it that causes you to hear your own voice on delay with a cell phone when talking? This has happened on bb and iPhone to me
    12-03-11 04:02 AM

LOL, yeah but they all make their own antennas and we all know how that panned out for Apple. The "myth" I'm afraid is real.
    melb_me, Jake Storm, buwee and 1 others like this.
    12-03-11 04:22 AM
    hahah I felt this way the first week with my iphone lol
    I started telling all my BB friends how cool this iphone was.
    neglecting all the drop calls i was getting. why? because all the fun apps.
    that worded off after 2 weeks as I started missing a lot of little things
    from blackberry and the Amazing call quality. its a cell phone not a computer.
    the bad reception on iphones will always keep them as iToys in my mind
    ipod+kyocera phone= iphone
    sorry but that's my experience.
    Isn't reception largely based on your carrier? I've had dropped calls on my iPhone and BlackBerry in the same spot on the highway I drive everyday to work. Aside from that one section of highway that has bad reception, I've never had a dropped call. I'm on AT&T.

If you have bad reception, it's really not going to matter which phone you have, right?

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-03-11 06:11 AM
    The iPhone doesn't go to "sleep" when it locks. I get emails and twitter notifications all the time with my 4S when it's locked, which is about 80% of the day while I'm at work.

jebulls and GingerSnapsBack like this.
    12-03-11 06:16 AM
    Isn't reception largely based on your carrier? I've had dropped calls on my iPhone and BlackBerry in the same spot on the highway I drive everyday to work. Aside from that one section of highway that has bad reception, I've never had a dropped call. I'm on AT&T.

If you have bad reception, it's really not going to matter which phone you have, right?

No, it's largely based on the antenna, the carrier signal is the constant, the antenna differs from phone to phone.

All modern phones have to have the antenna at the bottom(furthest point from the head) except the iphone for some reason.
    JR A and Jake Storm like this.
    12-03-11 06:27 AM
    What do you mean BBs can't do that? There is software that allows you to remotely connect via different protocols (RDP, SSH, etc), and if your BES isn't sectioned off from the rest of your network, you don't even need to VPN in through the BlackBerry. I access internal websites and can ssh into our servers fine through the BES without VPN. So saying a BB can't is just wrong. There are a lot more app choices for remote connectivity on iPhone, but the apps exist on BlackBerry, such as Rove Mobile, although they are probably more expensive generally.
    So your telling me that you can VPN over 3G with your personal BB into your company? For free?

Sent from my MD276LL using Tapatalk
    12-03-11 06:37 AM
    The iPhone's previous antenna issues are hard to deny if you owned one for a day. Since the Verizon iPhone 4, those issues are gone. My 4S has the best reception of any phone I have owned, including 4 BB's.

Making statements like "it will always be an iToy", etc does not make you seem very intelligent or objective in reviewing anything. They do make you seem to be compensating for something however. But hey, stay happy with your choice.

If statements like that had been issued about BlackBerry, this thread would have been either shutdown or cleaned up. Grow up.
    Last edited by dbw1000; 12-03-11 at 06:49 AM.
    12-03-11 06:45 AM
    I was thinking of switching to iphone 4s as well!, But where I live Blackberry is so much more popular than iphone, I ended up buying ipod touch instead !
    Thanks for sharing this experience with us
    12-03-11 06:48 AM
    So your telling me that you can VPN over 3G with your personal BB into your company? For free?

Do you realize how wrong that sounds? Personal device access to company servers(from what I undestand a hospital?)? Does your company really allow this or do they not know you're doing it?
    melb_me and Jake Storm like this.
    12-03-11 08:21 AM

I always had AT&T switched to sprint when HTC evo came out and then went right back
    to AT&T.
    From personal experience and my two sisters do have iphone4 which
    were swapped over numerous times cause of call issues.
    I never had a single drop call on my 9800 or 9810 or any sort of call issue.
    to be fair I do realize this problem was fix on the 4gs, but you can't deny
    it was an issue on previous iphones.
    Last edited by llllBULLSEYE; 12-03-11 at 10:04 AM.
    12-03-11 10:02 AM
    Very good opinionated post.
    12-03-11 10:25 AM
    Do you realize how wrong that sounds? Personal device access to company servers(from what I undestand a hospital?)? Does your company really allow this or do they not know you're doing it?
    No different than VPN from home on my Mac. You really don't understand do you. I have domain admin rights to do my job. What matter does it make how I connect to my work to do my job. If a commodore 64 could VPN I could use that. VPN allows for the secure tunnel to my servers. Heck if I could use my sons leap pad I could work. It doesn't matter what or where i connect from.

So please Belfast explain to me how VPN from my iDevices is any different than VPN from a computer. Since you are so knowledgeable.

I mean you do understand Cisco IP Sec VPN right?

Last edited by Accidental Post; 12-03-11 at 10:54 AM.
    12-03-11 10:50 AM
    No different than VPN from home on my Mac. You really don't understand do you. I have domain admin rights to do my job. What matter does it make how I connect to my work to do my job. If a commodore 64 could VPN I could use that. VPN allows for the secure tunnel to my servers. Heck if I could use my sons leap pad I could work. It doesn't matter what or where i connect from.

So please Belfast explain to me how VPN from my iDevices is any different than VPN from a computer. Since you are so knowledgeable.

I mean you do understand Cisco IP Sec VPN right?

It's not a technical matter, it's a matter of security and insurance, is your iphone approved by your company?

In my wife's work they even tested her phone charger before she could use it in work.

It's one thing to be capable and another to be approved to do it. Does your company insurance approve use of personal devices to connect to the company servers?
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-03-11 11:35 AM
338 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD