agree to disagree. Much much worse here! Good thing is the majority of the people are great!!
    Go to a Edmonton Oilers forum, and look how they talk about the Flames

Go to a Mets forums, check out how they talk about the Yankee's

I have far more things to say but to preserve the forum values I'll leave it at that
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    12-02-11 06:43 AM
    i just switched from a 3GS to curve 9360. I am very satisfied! Battery life so much better.
    Welcome to BlackBerryn then!

You like most people moved from 2 generations ago to a NEW generation, so you should be happy.

I probably would have been happier with a samsung galaxy had I moved to it from my Tour 9630, or Curve 8330, but moving to it from my torch 9800 with in 2 weeks I was frustrated and angry I was 100% back in my Torch.

if you had the iPhone 4S to the curve, you still may very well be pleased with the curve, but the level of satisfaction would not be as great.
    12-02-11 06:50 AM
    See below for responses....taken all together I'm wondering why in the world you ever thought an iPhone would be a good option for you.

I've now had my iPhone 4s for about a month and I notice more and more things each day that it does worse than BB. It's been well documented what the iPhone does better than BlackBerry, so I'm not going to mention those things. I'm only going to talk about the stuff that most people don't bring up when comparing these devices. This is all from the opinion of a 4 or so year BlackBerry owner that has owned Android devices and iPhones before.

-First of all, the iPhone handles WiFi horribly. If I get out of range of my router, it takes close to a minute for the iPhone to realize it needs to switch to 3g for data. It's terribly annoying when I walk my dog and want to listen to music using Audio Galaxy. Yep

-Also, Bluetooth is not only annoying to turn on and off, but like WiFi, it is horribly unintelligent. I had a bluetooth headset on and went into a store to get something and left my phone in the car. I was out of range of my bluetooth. When I got back in the car, my bluetooth reconnected and Siri worked through it fine, but when my wife called me, the phone decided I didn't want to use Bluetooth anymore and redirected the sound to the headset and not my ear peice. Was this an isolated incident or does it happen frequently?

-Email is not nearly as good. If my phone is sitting idle next to me, it stops getting emails until I start using my phone again. This is horrible when I'm deep in project and don't realize that I've gone 2 hours since checking my email Turn your fetch frequency off manual

-Reception SUCKS! I get complaints almost every day that people I'm on the phone with can't hear me. I've never had this problem with any BB I've owned which were used in the same locations as I'm having problems with my iPhone. Sounds like a defective unit. Cell reception has been dramatically improved with i4S

-Battery is decent at best. I can get through the day without charging, but it's cutting it VERY close, usually going to bed with about 8% battery left. My 9930 wasn't any better, but every other BB I owned was MUCH better. I consider this a wash. Current gen iPhone and current gen BB have similar battery life. Old phones shouldn't be in the picture any more than you should compare a current gen smartphone and an old dumb phone.

-I miss my physical buttons. I like having a menu button always located in the same location as well as the back button. With the iPhone, each app has these buttons located differently which is more annoying than people would think. That's just a personal preference

-The lock screen is annoying. I like how with my BB I can press the lock/unlock button on the top of the phone to unlock my phone and it's ready to use. The iPhone I have to press the unlock button (or home button) and then slide the unlock bar to start using my phone. After years of not having to do that, it slows me down noticably. Again....personal preference

-iOS5 doesn't recieve Twitter notifications for new tweets. I use Twitter a lot and have to manually check for new tweets instead of getting a notification every 30 minutes. It's a known bug on iOS 5 that is annoying.

I know some of that stuff seems like I'm nitpicking, but combined, they are a big deal. The iPhone 4s is incredibly smooth and fast, but it doesn't do the imporatant things well.
    12-02-11 08:06 AM
    i am a conducter on a train,and i see thousands of people every day,and 50% of them have iphones.The other 50% have androids and blackberrys.So lets take our heads out of the sand cause the iphone is ahead of us right now.By the way, i use a 9930 and love it.
    12-02-11 08:13 AM
    Derwent Graphite, I had no BIS on my phone and I can use WIFI all day with out any issue. The reason you can't use Wifi cause your phone had no service book configured for wifi which is carrier dependent (Some carrier just delete the default wifi SB)
    I can use Wi-Fi. I'm talking about the lag time or some glitch when turning on Wi-Fi while connected to BIS.
    12-02-11 09:05 AM
    If your email isn't coming in you did not set it up right. My gmail set up through exchange is the best overall email experience I have ever had on a phone. Blows away every BB i had! And battery life is much much better for me than the 9930. 9930 was dead by 2 to 3 in the afternoon. My iphone is making it till I go to bed. No way it an 'itoy'. Most productive device I have ever had. Can do so much more with an iphone. Right now I have an app being made for my business. When I had a BB I was laughed at for asking for the same app. Again, reception is much better than my 9650, about the same as the 8330 I had. From what you have said other than the physical buttons I think it's more you not utilizing the iphones potential. But hey, different strokes for different folks
    I don't want to say you are wrong, but I have a really really hard time believing that you have better reception on your iPhone than you did on the 9650. I had a 9650 for a long time and used it as my primary business phone for the entire time I had it. Never once did someone say they had a hard time hearing me. The same was true with the 9930. Now that I have the iPhone 4s, I hear a complaint EVERY SINGLE DAY. I also experienced the iPhone to iPhone muffled voice issue a few times this week.

Don't get me wrong, I love using my iPhone, but I will be back to my 9930 in no time. I just need to finish up a few games of Words with Friends first
    12-02-11 09:38 AM
    i love my iphone 4. my wifi to 3g transaction is great. it switches under a minute easily!
    See, that is not acceptable! I want my phone to go from WiFi to 3g in seconds, not up to a minute.

I also have to reset my WiFI (on the iPhone side) often because it just stops working, but my wife's MacBook has the same issue, so I think it's an AT&T U-Verse issue with Apple products as my BlackBerry and Windows PC never have issues.
    12-02-11 09:42 AM
    More consumers here use iPhones and iPod's or iPads. Therefore when I get a new phone next month it will be an iPhone. iMessage is too damn good.

Also the lock screen is fine on the iPhone. Set up your lock screen notifications and you learn to appreciate the fact that it doesn't go straight to a password entry on unlock.
    I think you misunderstood what I meant. I don't have a password. I just don't like how I have no option to turn off the lock screen. I want to press the unlock button on the top of the phone and not have to ALSO swipe the unlock slider to unlock my phone. I like to pull my phone out of my pocket and press the unlock button and start working with it. The unlocking slider is sometimes awkward to swipe with one hand.

Like I said in the OP, these are all little things, but they add up to make me miss my BlackBerry.
    12-02-11 09:49 AM
    "Was this an isolated incident or does it happen frequently?"

It's happened both times the explained scenario occurred. Connected to BT, go out of range, return to BT range, make or recieve phone call, voice comes out of phone, not BT even though BT is connected.

"Turn your fetch frequency off manual"

I'm no dummy! It's set to push with Yahoo. I'm just saying that it stops pushing when my phone is idle. Then when I pick up my phone (not check email, just start using phone in anyway) all my emails come through at once with timestamps from hours ago. It may be a Yahoo thing, it may be a notification thing, or an iPhone thing. Either way it happens and it costs me.

"Sounds like a defective unit. Cell reception has been dramatically improved with i4S"

Improved over what, the defective iPhone 4? I'm not the only one complaining about reception issues. Also, I'm not saying it's broken or anything, just far worse than my BlackBerrys were.

"I consider this a wash. Current gen iPhone and current gen BB have similar battery life. Old phones shouldn't be in the picture any more than you should compare a current gen smartphone and an old dumb phone."

The current gen Curves have much better battery life than the iPhone. I get what you are saying, but it's not a completely sound argument. I'd consider this more of an issue with the 9930 than anything about the iPhone having similar battery life to BlackBerrys as a general statement. The Torches and Curves far outlast the iPhone.
    12-02-11 09:58 AM
    I was not going to weigh in, but I decided I would.

-I don't have any WiFi issues with my 4S, but I understand that some people do, predominately due to iOS5 upgrade. My iPad however had great WiFi until the iOS5 upgrade. Now I have reception and switching issues. I understand it is on the list to fix, and I hope it is soon.

-I don't have any Bluetooth issues. I did figure out that what I thought was an annoyance is a benefit. If I answer a call on my phone, it picks up the audio on the handset, not the headset or car that is connected. If I answer it from the car or headset, it picks up on the device used to answer the call. This is actually a benefit once you figure it out. Ever had your headset on in your bag and did not realize it? Problem solved because now if you answer you handset, it picks up the audio and you can hear the person. Maybe this was the OP's issue?

-I get 100% push email, even when the handset it locked or in standby. I don't have an issue here. Not sure if the OP is using pop3, etc. If so, then you need to change your settings on to fix your issue or find an Exchange Activesync compatible email such as GMail, Hotmail, etc.

-I have to tell you that my 4S gets amazing signal, but I am on Verizon. My wife's 4 on Verizon does well, but my 4S does better. From by BB Storm2 to my Droid Inc2 to this has been a great move. The Droid Inc2 was the worst. Not sure what your issues are. I will also say that there is supposedly a fuzzy voice bug in iOS5 that is being worked on now.

-My 4S battery life is what I expected. I charge nightly. My Droid Inc2 got 1 to 2 days with the stock OS and 2 to 3 days with a custom ROM. My Storm2 got 2 to 3 days. The iPhone battery life is shorter, and so are most if not all bright, large touch screen devices today. If you want many, many days of battery life on your smartphone, stick with a BB Bold for sure.

-If you miss physical buttons and hate the touchscreen, you need to go back to the BB. You might not be a person willing or able to adapt. There is no shame in this. Many people I know want the physical keyboard. I left the physical keyboard years ago. As crappy as it was, I preferred by Storm from day 1 to my 8830. I also preferred my Storm2 to my 9650. If I was a BB user again, I would probably go for the 9850/60.

-I don't mind the lock screen at all, especially since you can directly jump to your camera or music. Android's ability to add links directly to the lock screen is an improvement over the iPhone however. I love the new HTC Sense 3.0 abilities in this area. This is just an area that is the nature with most touchscreens. I find it hard to believe you can make a case it hurts your productivity or is a major issue. You may be majorly annoyed, but don't make it seem like someone gets 10% less work done.

-I get Tweet notifications just fine, but I dislike Twitter immensely. I don't get Twitter, and I have tried. Not an important area for me.

I don't have a single productivity issue with switching between BB, Android or iPhone devices in the least. Are there little tweaks or benefits to each one, yet. The BB has the most shortcuts and accelerator keys for sure, and that is an advantage if you use them. I did, but I found other benefits for both my personal and business needs on the iPhone that outweigh some of those items for me.

If you want to post a list of what you think is worse about the iPhone, I think it is constructive to demonstrate the negatives. I would bet if you listed the things on that are worse on a BB, it would be similar in size but with different items. I know I could.

Several of these items seems like ignorance, a bad device, or the iOS5 problems. Apple is not perfect, and like RIM, they have defective devices and OS upgrade issues. I find they fix them as good as RIM in most cases (I won't pull the Storm line into this).
    JR A likes this.
    12-02-11 10:03 AM
    I feel ya.....
    I've been a BB user for....idk...6-8 yrs?
    I tried a 3Gs a year or so ago. I thought, "why do I talk so much smack about this phone"? I loved it for 3 days then started to realize all the little things it didn't do that my BB's did.
    I owned it for a week and sold it.
    Same with android about 2 weeks ago. Tried a GS2 and thought "I'm a droidjunkie now"
    I sold it after about 12 hours.
    Just when I start to think the grass is greener, I discover it's not.
    The only things I find more appealing with the "other platforms" is:
    -bigger touch screens
    -faster browser
    Neither one of these functions out weigh all the attributes of the BBOS....FOR ME.....IMHO
    JR A and melb_me like this.
    12-02-11 10:10 AM
    A business associate of mine gave me an I Phone 4 he wasn't using.

After "Playing" with it for a while I honestly hate it! It's a toy that just happens to have a phone incorporated into it. As a "Business Device" it sucks.

I totally get why it is so "Hip" with the young set that are only concerned with Facebook, Twitter etc.

It's just not for me.
    melb_me and Jake Storm like this.
    12-02-11 10:16 AM
    A business associate of mine gave me an I Phone 4 he wasn't using.

After "Playing" with it for a while I honestly hate it! It's a toy that just happens to have a phone incorporated into it. As a "Business Device" it sucks.

I totally get why it is so "Hip" with the young set that are only concerned with Facebook, Twitter etc.

It's just not for me.
    It's statements like this that heat up these threads more than they help. I have had a Blackberry for years and have defended it but to say the iPhone is a just a toy shows a total lack of objectivity.
    ADGrant and JR A like this.
    12-02-11 10:29 AM
    Or a lack of maturity. Because I do own an iPhone4s and as a business tool. It gets it done.

First I will say I am a Systems Analyst in a Large Hospital and I need access to my desktop and servers whenever and wherever I am. So the iPhone can VPN over 3G and rdp to my desktop or servers.

BB's can't so saying it's a toy is a useless and ignorant statement. But your avi fits you.
    12-02-11 10:49 AM
    I know some of that stuff seems like I'm nitpicking, but combined, they are a big deal. The iPhone 4s is incredibly smooth and fast, but it doesn't do the imporatant things well.
    Whether or not it's "nitpicking" it's what makes you enjoy your device all that much better. As you stated right from the start of your thread that it already has been pointed out what the iPhone is good for, reading your comments your phone is your communication tool. Not a game pad or portable TV.
    Branta likes this.
    12-02-11 11:03 AM
    See, that is not acceptable! I want my phone to go from WiFi to 3g in seconds, not up to a minute.

I also have to reset my WiFI (on the iPhone side) often because it just stops working, but my wife's MacBook has the same issue, so I think it's an AT&T U-Verse issue with Apple products as my BlackBerry and Windows PC never have issues.
    Not sure on how the wifi works from wifi to 3g...what I can say is this though, my roommates have iPhones and I have a 9930. When we head the down the hill (suburbia) to go into town which is about 11 miles down the road, during the majority of that road there is no reception. Once we all loose reception and then regain it, both iPhones 4 have a hard time getting back on the 3G network, meanwhile my BB locks back into the 3G network as soon as the signal becomes available.

As for the call quality I will say that I find the white iPhone to have a better call quality over the black iPhone. My guess is that the white one since it came out MUCH later it has better hardware? I find that my BB has the best call quality of any phone I have ever owned. My OG Droid was the worst, always sounded like I was in a tin can while being held down and muffled.
    12-02-11 11:12 AM
    Please come back

I hate the 4S too.....

Sorry Stevie.....
    12-02-11 11:17 AM
    It's statements like this that heat up these threads more than they help. I have had a Blackberry for years and have defended it but to say the iPhone is a just a toy shows a total lack of objectivity.
    It's how I feel. Not sure where you are but Canada is a free country and we are entitled to our opinion here.

IMO it is nothing more than a "Toy" I don't like it. If that bothers you I'm sorry but it's how I feel.
    12-02-11 12:22 PM
    I have used both. As a personal phone I own an iPhone, and now a Bold 9900. I do like the form of the iPhone but I really like the function of the Black Berry.

Truthfully, in the app department I have a whole bevy of apps for the iPhone but rarely use any of them after a few weeks of play.

The Bold provides want I want need most of all and it's this simple:

- push mail that is easy to set up.
    - reasonably good phone call quality where the Bold is superior.
    - solid Bluetooth connectivity to a hands free set for driving.
    - the ability to send and receive text messages.

The 9900 now plays a integral role in the Play Book and works as it should.

I'm passing my iPhone on to a worthy recipient who's happy to get it and I have committed to the Black Berry phone for the foreseeable future.

As an aside I used the browser out of pocket on the 9900 the other day and completely forgot about using the touch screen. As soon as I began to use the touch capability for short and simple mobile web access the phone came into it's own as designed.

As a second aside I do follow a few twitter feeds and find that very easy to do as well.
    Last edited by blackburberry; 12-02-11 at 01:11 PM.
    JR A likes this.
    12-02-11 01:07 PM
    One thing I LOVE about the iPhone is that apps such as twitter have integrated browsers in them that open up within the app itself. This is pretty nice and smooth when clicking a link inside of an app and not having to have the browser open up separately. Just wanted to add that in here
    12-02-11 01:37 PM
    The IT guy for our funeral home picked up the iPhone 4 when it came out and he feels it is the best phone he has ever had. He teases me about my BlackBerry and about my PlayBook, but he recognizes the advantages of both platforms.

Consumers are wired differently. That is why there are so many options concerning devices that are on the market today. What phone you carry does not make you more intelligent or make you into a nicer or more respected person. What phone you use does not determine your character or value.

The sometimes heated debate over which phone is better is really a non-issue because what is better for one person may not meet the needs of another person. For example, my wife has no interest in a smartphone. She just wants good reception and to text, but she doesn't want to pay for a data plan. She just upgraded from a Samsung Impression to a Pantech Ease. The main reason she did this was the texts are easy to read on the Pantech (no crazy hard to read blue numbers); it has a feature that lets you zoom in and out so the font appears larger and the message still adjusts to the screen.

I tried to interest her in my old 9800, but no go. She is happy where she is. I am wired differently. I am at BlackBerry because the insurance company we use to write pre-arrangements for the funeral home stopped supporting the app for Windows phones. I had the choice of BlackBerry or iPhone. After playing with both phones, I went with BlackBerry because I wanted both a touchscreen and a physical keyboard. For me, it was the right choice.

It is impossible to categorically present one phone as the best for all people. iPhone is more than a toy, it is a communication device that fits the needs of many, many people. So do BlackBerry devices...and the nice thing is you have a wide variety of styles to choose from. Android, iPhone, BlackBerry devices all have advantages and weaknesses. I am more than happy with my choice. You can be happy with yours. the OP was just stating a personal opinion based on their device. Its rather amazing how sensitive people are on both sides...BB's and iOS alike.
    gregorylkelly, Fit24 and JR A like this.
    12-02-11 02:37 PM
    12-02-11 03:44 PM
    I don't think your nitpicking. If that's what's important to you then that's how it is. When you boil down the complaints of ip and android owners the common denomanator is apps, apps, apps.
    I hear so much about ip's ui and how smooth it is. Well for me it sticks. I have meaty thumbs and fingers. When I try to scroll the app screen left or right I'm lauching all sorts of stuff or the icons start shaking. In the browser scroll for me is also a problem. Rim was thoughtful enough to give me a track ball/pad.
    I also use the top screen lock if I'm sitting my Torch down in the truck or if I'm in the middle of doing something and need my hands to do something else I hit the top screen lock either put my phone down or in my case. When I'm finished I just hit the screen lock and right back where I left off.
    Let's take what you said about the wireless functions of the iphone. To turn on or off these functions you have a list of things to do. On my BBs I just click the signal meter and I can do what ever I need to do to which ever service.
    As I've said time again I want menus and a file system. For me all these things I lose to the iphone makes the ui horrible.
    mud314 and JR A like this.
    12-02-11 06:48 PM
    To my knowledge I have friends that use the Iphone alot but mainly what I see them use is Instagram and Facebook, then they tell me how fun talking to Siri is, but I never hear them talk about the email except for ONE. She actually works for a real estate firm and misses the email client that BB offers and dreads the Iphone, she misses but doesn't wanna go back and forth. I think the Iphone is a good overrall phone but nothing I would use professionally, especially if Im looking to actually get some work done.
    I just switched from a BB 9700 to an iPhone 4s in part because I find the email experience to be better on the iPhone. I don't use Siri and use Facebook much less than email.
    12-02-11 08:07 PM
    I have used both. As a personal phone I own an iPhone, and now a Bold 9900. I do like the form of the iPhone but I really like the function of the Black Berry.
    I am the exact opposite. I love the form factor of the 9900 and 9700 but much prefer the function of the iPhone. So much so that I have given up all the physical keys.
    blackburberry likes this.
    12-02-11 08:13 PM
338 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD