I've now had my iPhone 4s for about a month and I notice more and more things each day that it does worse than BB. It's been well documented what the iPhone does better than BlackBerry, so I'm not going to mention those things. I'm only going to talk about the stuff that most people don't bring up when comparing these devices. This is all from the opinion of a 4 or so year BlackBerry owner that has owned Android devices and iPhones before.

-First of all, the iPhone handles WiFi horribly. If I get out of range of my router, it takes close to a minute for the iPhone to realize it needs to switch to 3g for data. It's terribly annoying when I walk my dog and want to listen to music using Audio Galaxy.

-Also, Bluetooth is not only annoying to turn on and off, but like WiFi, it is horribly unintelligent. I had a bluetooth headset on and went into a store to get something and left my phone in the car. I was out of range of my bluetooth. When I got back in the car, my bluetooth reconnected and Siri worked through it fine, but when my wife called me, the phone decided I didn't want to use Bluetooth anymore and redirected the sound to the headset and not my ear peice.

-Email is not nearly as good. If my phone is sitting idle next to me, it stops getting emails until I start using my phone again. This is horrible when I'm deep in project and don't realize that I've gone 2 hours since checking my email

-Reception SUCKS! I get complaints almost every day that people I'm on the phone with can't hear me. I've never had this problem with any BB I've owned which were used in the same locations as I'm having problems with my iPhone.

-Battery is decent at best. I can get through the day without charging, but it's cutting it VERY close, usually going to bed with about 8% battery left. My 9930 wasn't any better, but every other BB I owned was MUCH better.

-I miss my physical buttons. I like having a menu button always located in the same location as well as the back button. With the iPhone, each app has these buttons located differently which is more annoying than people would think.

-The lock screen is annoying. I like how with my BB I can press the lock/unlock button on the top of the phone to unlock my phone and it's ready to use. The iPhone I have to press the unlock button (or home button) and then slide the unlock bar to start using my phone. After years of not having to do that, it slows me down noticably.

-iOS5 doesn't recieve Twitter notifications for new tweets. I use Twitter a lot and have to manually check for new tweets instead of getting a notification every 30 minutes. It's a known bug on iOS 5 that is annoying.

I know some of that stuff seems like I'm nitpicking, but combined, they are a big deal. The iPhone 4s is incredibly smooth and fast, but it doesn't do the imporatant things well.
    12-01-11 05:59 PM
    we the blackberry family will welcome you back anytime. we shall be waiting for your return my friend. god speed
    12-01-11 06:07 PM
    Nice comparison, good details! I felt the same about Android. Loved a lot of what it was capable of. But I ended up missing some little things about the BlackBerry.

Like you said, all those little things add up!
    cocobrow likes this.
    12-01-11 06:08 PM
    All that being said, the iPhone 4 is clearly superior in the self combustion department.
    12-01-11 06:10 PM
    Those are all good points and those are the fine/tiny things that waste seconds here and there all day every day. It reduces your productivity. I also like real buttons for menu and such.

I was told by an iphoner yesterday that the device was so cool since it now has a unified inbox for his emai addresses. I laughed and said bb has done that for as long as I can recall, then I welcomed him to the modern era.

I guess it shows that we all gravitate to the device that works best for us individually. I am using a 9800 today, but the Bold form factor and large keyboard makes me more efficient. I may upgrade to the 9900. But I digress.

I like your honest comments as to how the phone slows you down, they are good points.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-11 06:14 PM
    If your email isn't coming in you did not set it up right. My gmail set up through exchange is the best overall email experience I have ever had on a phone. Blows away every BB i had! And battery life is much much better for me than the 9930. 9930 was dead by 2 to 3 in the afternoon. My iphone is making it till I go to bed. No way it an 'itoy'. Most productive device I have ever had. Can do so much more with an iphone. Right now I have an app being made for my business. When I had a BB I was laughed at for asking for the same app. Again, reception is much better than my 9650, about the same as the 8330 I had. From what you have said other than the physical buttons I think it's more you not utilizing the iphones potential. But hey, different strokes for different folks
    12-01-11 07:09 PM
    Nice comparison, good details! I felt the same about Android. Loved a lot of what it was capable of. But I ended up missing some little things about the BlackBerry.

Like you said, all those little things add up!
    Chrisy......I think we should all go back to you post history and see what you had to say about BB a few months ago hahaha.....
    12-01-11 07:11 PM
    Chrisy......I think we should all go back to you post history and see what you had to say about BB a few months ago hahaha.....

She was venting... Just a tad lol

But much better now
    jebulls and newcollector like this.
    12-01-11 07:21 PM
    You going to see stuff every where you go. No matter what forum, blog, etc.
    12-01-11 07:22 PM
    You going to see stuff every where you go. No matter what forum, blog, etc.
    agree to disagree. Much much worse here! Good thing is the majority of the people are great!!
    12-01-11 07:48 PM
    I've now had my iPhone 4s for about a month and I notice more and more things each day that it does worse than BB. It's been well documented what the iPhone does better than BlackBerry, so I'm not going to mention those things. I'm only going to talk about the stuff that most people don't bring up when comparing these devices. This is all from the opinion of a 4 or so year BlackBerry owner that has owned Android devices and iPhones before.

-First of all, the iPhone handles WiFi horribly. If I get out of range of my router, it takes close to a minute for the iPhone to realize it needs to switch to 3g for data. It's terribly annoying when I walk my dog and want to listen to music using Audio Galaxy.

-Also, Bluetooth is not only annoying to turn on and off, but like WiFi, it is horribly unintelligent. I had a bluetooth headset on and went into a store to get something and left my phone in the car. I was out of range of my bluetooth. When I got back in the car, my bluetooth reconnected and Siri worked through it fine, but when my wife called me, the phone decided I didn't want to use Bluetooth anymore and redirected the sound to the headset and not my ear peice.

-Email is not nearly as good. If my phone is sitting idle next to me, it stops getting emails until I start using my phone again. This is horrible when I'm deep in project and don't realize that I've gone 2 hours since checking my email

-Reception SUCKS! I get complaints almost every day that people I'm on the phone with can't hear me. I've never had this problem with any BB I've owned which were used in the same locations as I'm having problems with my iPhone.

-Battery is decent at best. I can get through the day without charging, but it's cutting it VERY close, usually going to bed with about 8% battery left. My 9930 wasn't any better, but every other BB I owned was MUCH better.

-I miss my physical buttons. I like having a menu button always located in the same location as well as the back button. With the iPhone, each app has these buttons located differently which is more annoying than people would think.

-The lock screen is annoying. I like how with my BB I can press the lock/unlock button on the top of the phone to unlock my phone and it's ready to use. The iPhone I have to press the unlock button (or home button) and then slide the unlock bar to start using my phone. After years of not having to do that, it slows me down noticably.

-iOS5 doesn't recieve Twitter notifications for new tweets. I use Twitter a lot and have to manually check for new tweets instead of getting a notification every 30 minutes. It's a known bug on iOS 5 that is annoying.

I know some of that stuff seems like I'm nitpicking, but combined, they are a big deal. The iPhone 4s is incredibly smooth and fast, but it doesn't do the imporatant things well.
    Everything you've said is pretty much on point with what I've experienced using my husbands iphone for nearly a month, except for bluetooth I don't use it so I can't relate there.

Especially the points you brought up about email and twitter, I haate how everything pretty much goes to sleep once the phone auto-locks, I would have to set the phone to "never" for the lock AnD stay on the aim screen to continue to chat, otherwise the instant message would go to text, which was a no-no cause my husband only has 250 texts a month.

In my opinion, these are not nitpicky things they're essential.
    melb_me and JR A like this.
    12-01-11 07:49 PM
    i love my iphone 4. my wifi to 3g transaction is great. it switches under a minute easily!
    as for the bluetooth, i use 1 car bluetooth (integrated in the car stereo) and a keyboard at different times with the phone and they both connect with ease. dont need to go into the menu or anything. but i do agree on the part of actually turning on and off the bluetooth. i love the lock screen dont mind it. i liked my curve 8310 with the locking pouch. battery life is worse than bbs because you are using a full touch screen phone so that makes the phone use more power because it needs to always have the screen responsive and also you are lighting a bigger screen.
    email for me works great. i use the email app for 2 accounts and then i use the gmail app for gmail. they both work great. the native app is great with attachments.
    i could care less about twitter
    JR A likes this.
    12-01-11 08:09 PM
    First of all, the iPhone handles WiFi horribly. If I get out of range of my router, it takes close to a minute for the iPhone to realize it needs to switch to 3g for data. It's terribly annoying when I walk my dog and want to listen to music using Audio Galaxy.
    To be fair, Wi-Fi on the BB is not that much elegant either. I posted this in General Discussion a while back but it got moved to the Wi-Fi section and never saw the light of day again.

http://forums.crackberry.com/wifi-di...ng-bis-673032/

Why does connecting Wi-Fi require connecting to BIS?

To clarify, the 4 dots has to appear beside the Wi-fi signal icon before I can connect to the browser or use 3rd party apps on Wi-fi. Even when my phone is connected to Wi-Fi, it acts as if it is not fully connected - the native browser recognizes "half" of it, because it won't load even though I'm connected to 3G, is trying to load the page through Wi-Fi which is connected yet not connected. Are you confused yet? I'm confused as well. Is this a security feature or something? My Android tablet can connect to Wi-fi in a matter of seconds and get the browser going in an instant.
    12-01-11 08:10 PM
    i love my iphone 4. my wifi to 3g transaction is great. it switches under a minute easily!
    as for the bluetooth, i use 1 car bluetooth (integrated in the car stereo) and a keyboard at different times with the phone and they both connect with ease. dont need to go into the menu or anything. but i do agree on the part of actually turning on and off the bluetooth. i love the lock screen dont mind it. i liked my curve 8310 with the locking pouch. battery life is worse than bbs because you are using a full touch screen phone so that makes the phone use more power because it needs to always have the screen responsive and also you are lighting a bigger screen.
    email for me works great. i use the email app for 2 accounts and then i use the gmail app for gmail. they both work great. the native app is great with attachments.
    Under a minute? It shouldn't take longer then 5 seconds and nothing should be intrerupted.
    melb_me and JR A like this.
    12-01-11 08:13 PM
    i said under a minute because the original post stated it took him a minute. i go to the gym where there is wifi and listen to pandora and i can walk with it all the way to my car where there is no wifi and never realize that i even switched over
    12-01-11 08:18 PM
    i said under a minute because the original post stated it took him a minute. i go to the gym where there is wifi and listen to pandora and i can walk with it all the way to my car where there is no wifi and never realize that i even switched over
    Pandora is not a good example as it buffers ahead.
    12-01-11 08:22 PM
    twitter works great too. iphones twitter app is nicer than bb imo. But social scope on ios would be even better!!
    12-01-11 08:28 PM
    ok name me a good example? i have done a lot from actually uploading pictures to facebook, viewing videos to surfing the web
    12-01-11 08:28 PM
    Derwent Graphite, I had no BIS on my phone and I can use WIFI all day with out any issue. The reason you can't use Wifi cause your phone had no service book configured for wifi which is carrier dependent (Some carrier just delete the default wifi SB)
    12-01-11 09:48 PM
    The itoy negative comments are so annoying. Thats one thing I have enjoyed about getting an iphone and not paying as much attention to crackberry forums (except for the apple section) Very little negative posts on tiPb and here on the apple section! I know it's only a few that are childish but still!!
    The iPhone is commonly referred to as the "iToy". And not just here on CrackBerry.
    If it really bothers you what nickname people give to an inanimate object, then you need to grow some thicker skin.
    It's not your child, it's a phone
    dodger_moore likes this.
    12-01-11 11:25 PM
    It's the little things that make Blackberry so usable as a messaging device. That's also why RIM became so comfortable and stopped evolving: they had a great device. I am looking forward to swapping my personal Berry onto the company BES server. And running an Android for personal use.

This is no different than when I was carrying a Berry and an iPod touch. Or a Berry and a Palm... Hopefully BBx will fix that.
    12-01-11 11:54 PM
    To my knowledge I have friends that use the Iphone alot but mainly what I see them use is Instagram and Facebook, then they tell me how fun talking to Siri is, but I never hear them talk about the email except for ONE. She actually works for a real estate firm and misses the email client that BB offers and dreads the Iphone, she misses but doesn't wanna go back and forth. I think the Iphone is a good overrall phone but nothing I would use professionally, especially if Im looking to actually get some work done.
    12-01-11 11:57 PM
    More consumers here use iPhones and iPod's or iPads. Therefore when I get a new phone next month it will be an iPhone. iMessage is too damn good.

Also the lock screen is fine on the iPhone. Set up your lock screen notifications and you learn to appreciate the fact that it doesn't go straight to a password entry on unlock.

The rest of that stuff made me laugh. Lol.

My iCloud mail pushes fine to my iPod. Don't see how it would be any different on an iPhone.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    12-02-11 01:56 AM
    I use android for a long time since G1 came out. Android phone is really amazing as well.
    But I am willing to try iphone or blackberry.

Recently, I will extend my contract. And I'd like to choose bb or iphone 4gs.
    There is one reason I gave up iphone is "I need an unlimited data plan".
    Do I really need a unlimited data plan? No. I'd like to save my pocket.

I think bb need to stick to their advantages first.

1. pushmail and security. (I think these are most important in smartphone area)

2. battery life. (smartphone wilth longer battery life is the best. However, new 9900 doesn't do very well like old bb phone. It's a pity. Hope BBX will do more better)

Many people may say physical keyboard is important, too. Yea, I agree with that.
    However, first bbx phone won't have it. And since iphone can do very well without keyboard, why bb can't? Just focusing bb basic advantages is more important.

And the last thing is the quantity and quality of app. If bb can catch up, everything can happen.

PS. Many smartphone users have not yet notice the security aspect on their phone. And I think it is the biggest advantage on bb.
    JR A likes this.
    12-02-11 02:17 AM
    i just switched from a 3GS to curve 9360. I am very satisfied! Battery life so much better.
    12-02-11 03:05 AM
338 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD