I used by SD card as an internal Hard Drive on my old Priv. That Priv died so I got a new Priv but it says it cannot recognize the old SD as it was formatted for that specific Priv (or something to that effect).

Does anyone know how to recover data from that SD card? I can reformat it for the new Priv but then I will loose all my backup data! I know BB is security conscious but this is ridiculous. I need my data back.
    06-09-18 01:08 PM
    You'd need to put it back in the old Priv to get the data off, so it's gone.
    06-09-18 05:31 PM
    You are clearly warned when formatting the SD card as "internal" that you are encrypting the card and that all data will be lost if you don't decrypt it before using it in another device. That's how encryption works.

Encrypted data should ALWAYS be backed up separately and should NEVER be assumed to be "safe", as there are a number of very common scenarios (including the SD card itself dying, losing the whole phone, or the phone being damaged, as in your case) where the data could be lost. This is why most people use cloud backups today - but nothing prevented you from making manual backups another way if you didn't want to use the cloud.

As a cloud user, the loss of a phone for any reason just means I need a new phone and to sign in on that phone and wait an hour, and all of my apps and data will be restored (perhaps not some of the app settings, though).
    06-10-18 05:17 PM
    It is formatted for EXT3, you will need to use GNU/Linux to get at the data, then format it again to exFAT in windows (there's limitations with that file system, thanks to microshaft or using a mac (or windows 7 or later in virtual machine). Linux mint would be easy, or the live CD or USB of G/parted Magic (a small distribution, mostly used for partitioning disks, also has a file manager for data transfers).

The memory card is not corrupted or damaged, the file system just isn't recognised.

-linux mint user, former windows user.

Typed using my BlackBerry Passport running the latest QNX software release 10.3.3 on Freedom Mobile DC-HSPA+
    06-11-18 01:56 PM
    It is formatted for EXT3, you will need to use GNU/Linux to get at the data, then format it again to exFAT in windows (there's limitations with that file system, thanks to microshaft or using a mac (or windows 7 or later in virtual machine). Linux mint would be easy, or the live CD or USB of G/parted Magic (a small distribution, mostly used for partitioning disks, also has a file manager for data transfers).

The memory card is not corrupted or damaged, the file system just isn't recognised.

-linux mint user, former windows user.

Typed using my BlackBerry Passport running the latest QNX software release 10.3.3 on Freedom Mobile DC-HSPA+
    BlackBerry forces the encryption of the SD when it adopts it as internal storage... it's not a matter of just the filing system. And only the original PRIV had the "key", so really is no recovery option using the card - short of a super computer.

OP... if you used Google Photos or Google Drive, then much of your data should be there. When you got the new PRIV and set it up, did it ask if you wanted to restore from your old phone?
    06-11-18 02:11 PM