hey everyone. I'm on AT&T with a BB9000, and I'm looking at getting a data plan or a regular standalone GPS for some travels I'm going to be doing soon. anyone have any thoughts on these two options? the only feedback I've heard about the GPS programs on the blackberry is from my dad who said they are garbage and that I'm better off with a $100 Magellan from Best Buy, or something. any thoughts on this? turn by turn voice prompts aren't necessary to me, I just need a solid GPS that shows me the correct way to go. any feedback on how the BB GPS is compared to a standalone GPS?
    04-04-10 04:16 PM
    hey everyone. I'm on AT&T with a BB9000, and I'm looking at getting a data plan or a regular standalone GPS for some travels I'm going to be doing soon. anyone have any thoughts on these two options? the only feedback I've heard about the GPS programs on the blackberry is from my dad who said they are garbage and that I'm better off with a $100 Magellan from Best Buy, or something. any thoughts on this? turn by turn voice prompts aren't necessary to me, I just need a solid GPS that shows me the correct way to go. any feedback on how the BB GPS is compared to a standalone GPS?
    I have both, a TomTom GPS and BB and I much prefer the standalone over ATT navigation. The way I see it is that if I am on the phone, which is much of the time, I can't use the navigation. Also, the ability to use the GPS in multiple cars without giving up my cell phone is a plus. The TomTom, Garmin, and Magellan brands can be purchased for about $100.00 so in ten months of purchasing the ATT navigation at $10.00 I have paid for the standalone GPS.
    04-04-10 04:43 PM
    oh wait, you have to buy ATT navigation ALONG with a data plan?...
    04-04-10 04:47 PM
    For a free app, Google Maps works great. If you wan to pay, Garmin Mobile is about $80. One time fee, no monthly subscriptions. They have a trial. If you don't want to pay, try the Google Maps. It does anything a standalone gps device does...even more with street views, satellite views and great real time traffic updates on your route.
    04-05-10 02:47 PM
    the BB gps, is a great gps, extremely accurate. my only problem is that w/ the screen of the BB is hard to read street names. voice and turn by turn would be nice.
    04-11-10 06:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD