I already know what the "it's just a phone" crowd, the "disgusted with BlackBerry" crowd, and the other platforms fanboys would say, but I am interested in the opinions of my fellow diehard and faithful BlackBerry loyalists as to the "what if" scenario. I believe those that are like me will hang on to their Berry's until they no longer can function or make use of the services we need, but to take a theoretical scenario into perspective for a second; to concede to all those excited about a BlackBerry downfall and consider the possibility of a world without BlackBerry devices (hardware or OS). Let's say it did finally come to that, at some point I guess we'd have to take a contingency plan seriously.

In short, I admit that I would have to go with Windows Phone because I would sooner support Microsoft than I would Apple or Google (in fact, I'd sooner back Firefox OS or Sailfish or something before either of those two.) To switch to MS or anything else, again, it would take some very specific circumstances.
    I wrote a long, personal perspective on my little blog here if you're bored:
    http://QandhisBlackBerry.com/2013/08/30/what-to-do-in-the-event-of-blackberrys-demise/

Anyway, my dear BB faithful, I would certainly be interested if you would care to share your Plan B? Ultimately, I'm wondering how many share the same feelings and ideas that I do.
    SirKneeland and AthenaSmith like this.
    08-30-13 05:40 PM
    I try not to think about that what if...I'll worry about the doom and gloom if it happens. In the mean time, love my Z and Q, but especially my Q (just don't tell my Z that I said that).

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 06:25 PM
    Well, I haven't even got up to the Q yet, still waiting on carrier issues, so I can upgrade.

Say 2 years from that one, and maybe an e-bay replacement or two, maybe 3 years then...

I am in the computer business, and I am always fixing an Ipod, or explaining why an Ipad won't replace a laptop, but I make decent money making Itunes work for people. Apple has a mystifying control over it's customers, that I do not get, they are good products, but they are not for me, I can't think the way apple wants me to.

I could see myself liking a droid, for the tinkering ability they offer, but the galaxies are the only ones I've been around, and they do not excite me, with there slick plastic finis, so maybe a rugged casio, or similar?

don't know anything about winphone, but it might be worth researching.

Who knows, in 3 years when I need a non BB what will be available.
    08-30-13 06:32 PM
    I have nothing against Apple or Google and would definitely consider what they have to offer and how it would fit my needs. All things being equal however if your scenario were to pan out tomorrow morning I would stay with Windows (Lumia) as that is what I am using as my personal device (BB provided by and used for work) and I am quite comfortable / impressed by it.
    08-30-13 06:47 PM
    I may end up with a WP unless the Apple UI becomes more like BlackBerry and they open the platform so that I can download whatever I want la BlackBerry. I don't like the control with iTunes.

My boy has the S4 and it is a nice phone but I don't like the UI. I find it messy.

Posted via CB10
    BroncoVAL likes this.
    08-30-13 06:55 PM
    I just ditched my iphone for this fantastic q10 so i really hope Blackberry will see the end of the tunnel and come back on the podium!
    If not i would sadly go back to iOS (if it still can be jailbroken) because i am used to it and find it more elegant.
    Android is not for me, even if it allows way more than any other OS it looks too nerdy, its UI is simply horrible and messy and security is a big issue.
    Windows phone doesn't impress me, i love Nokia devices but the tiles would bother me quickly. (and i hate Windows)
    I'd love a BB10 on a Nokia quality smartphone though!!!
    But long live Blackberry, i hope i'll be able to buy a Q serie device as my next 3-4 smartphones (with a taller screen it would be perfect!)

Posted via CB10
    robkd likes this.
    08-30-13 07:33 PM
    I have my cyanide pill ready and waiting. You can pry my BlackBerry from my cold, dead hands.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 07:39 PM
    I have my cyanide pill ready and waiting. You can pry my BlackBerry from my cold, dead hands.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not normally a fan of the standard bumper sticker thing, but I would slap that on my Jeep in a second. Awesome
    Vorkosigan and momofteme like this.
    08-30-13 08:44 PM
    My boy has the S4 and it is a nice phone but I don't like the UI. I find it messy.
    Just an FYI. If you invest a bit of time, you can make the UI on an Android phone look whatever you desire and behave the way you want. You can even make it behave a little like BB10 with gestures/swipes (e.g. Nova launcher and many others support swipes).

Here is a good resource to start with:

MyColorScreen

There are tons of other resources and tutorials online.

I hope this helps.
    Drew808 and Poirots Progeny like this.
    08-30-13 09:43 PM
    Just an FYI. If you invest a bit of time, you can make the UI on an Android phone look whatever you desire and behave the way you want. You can even make it behave a little like BB10 with gestures/swipes (e.g. Nova launcher and many others support swipes).

MyColorScreen

I hope this helps.
    Thanks. I'll keep this in mind if I look at an android. I won't be able to modify my son's phone without prying it from his hands.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 09:55 PM
    I was a BB die hard for years, but the delays and dishonesty with the Playbook and Z10 did me in. I got rid of the Z10 and gave my wife my playbook to go with her 9930. I have a 9930 also. I bought a Nokia 928 Windows Phone along with a MS Surface Pro and I have zero complaints. I recommend everybody going this route. I hardly use the 9930 anymore. The Surface is just awesome - the best of both worlds in a tablet and PC. The Nokia works great and the camera is unbelievable.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    08-30-13 10:07 PM
    I got my Z10 in June on a two year Verizon prison sentence. If for some horrible reason BB goes belly-up and no more updates are produced, it won't be too bad, as the phone will continue to be fine. But, I'd love to see Firefox OS phones available someday in the US that aren't Chinese Xiaomis or something. If push came to shove, I'd go to Windows Phone again, but not without a fight
    08-30-13 10:28 PM
    My plan B is what I wanted for plan A.

BlackBerry should partner with hardware manufacturers and scratch their back significantly better than Google does.

Example Sony. Give them a deal that they could share the app sale revenue.

15% Sony
    15% Blackberry
    70% Developer

Next HP, Lenovo, Nokia 15%/15%/70% each as well. The more hardware they sell the more cut they get.

Now this may cannibalize some BlackBerry hardware sales so each partner should bring something to the table as well. Sony can bring some $1 big name movie rentals exclusively to blackberry users. HP can bring some of their assets over. Perhaps some photo editing software or print/fax drivers.

The goal should be to have a wall of Bb10 phones in each store. People may be more comfortable buying a Sony BB10 or LG BB10 than a BlackBerry Bb10 especially now that everyone is talking about a sale.

Finally to ensure BlackBerry reaps the rewards of enterprise and government, Blackberry Balance should not be available to the partners. This will ensure enterprise keeps paying a high premium for BlackBerry hardware.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 10:29 PM
    Double post :s
    08-30-13 10:37 PM
    No reason to worry yet

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 10:41 PM
    I am going to use my Z10 until my contract with Verizon is up and then see what's out there. If BlackBerry is still making hardware AND software I will gladly get another without question. If not either Windows Phone or iOS. By then who knows what the smart phone world will look like.

BlackBerry Z10 | Verizon | 10.2.0.1371
    08-30-13 10:52 PM

MyColorScreen

I hope this helps.
    + 1..

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
    08-30-13 10:53 PM
    My back up is a SG3

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 11:23 PM
    If BlackBerry ends up out of business and not making anymore phones, which I find doubtful but anything could happen, I would probably check out a Windows phone.

After working on a MAC for 2 months it has reinforced my dislike of apples os and I haven't seen an android phone that thrills me. Yes you can tinker with Android to make it whatever you want - maybe - every time my husband puts a new rom on his something ends up not working.

I'm happy with my Z10. It had the functions and an OS I loved right out of the box. The only tweak I finally made was to get a 10.2 leak because I was curious about the instant notifications, which rock by the way.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 08:07 AM
    I invest almost 2000usd (4 device) for Blackberry as our household communication.
    That's before i heard BBM will go open.
    I tempted to sell all before BlackBerry device became worthless and move to Android.

But i think i will stay and use Blackberry to whatever ends.

Blackberry may no care with their customer.
    But some customer / crackberian show their loyalty to Blackberry.

Thats how you call the faithful ...

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 08:16 AM
    I love my z10 and it has quickly become my daily device. My Nokia 920 is sitting on the counter collecting dust. I will run with BlackBerry as long as they have such an excellent product. Otherwise I will probably give the iPhone a try. Not going back to android and I have not been impressed with WP8 at all.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 10:11 AM
    I came from ios which is boring and android is just clunky to me. WP doesn't interest me either as it just doesn't seem professional.

That's why I like bb10 so much. The simplicity of ios but with gestures and a professional look. I might try sailfish as it's the only remaining os that looks interesting but I hope that bb10 will live on other devices even if BlackBerry exits the full touch market.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 12:12 AM
    I'm with you, OP. I would go for WinPhone too.

Posted via CB10
    SirKneeland likes this.
    09-01-13 11:17 AM
    contigency plan?

A blackBerry q5 for me, as an upgrade over the 9800 Torch.

Then if it breaks, find another Q5.

Assuming low end Android to surpass Q5 at about... maybe 12 month's time from now...

Then maybe an Android. But i'll go with a value proposition, a phablet. Of any sort, as long as i can get proper messaging, and i can read notifications and answer them without going in and out of app all the time.
    09-01-13 11:27 AM
    Windows Phone for me if BlackBerry goes Palm.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 06:28 PM
40 12