This was on torontosun.com web page, Interesting article.

Berry offensive
    A lesson on BlackBerry etiquette

By CAROLYN MCTIGHE, SPECIAL TO SUN MEDIA

It's a blessing, and a curse.

Though millions rely on the highly addictive BlackBerry, the creation of Canada's Research in Motion, most people would agree that they are still in the dark when it comes to proper etiquette.

And with more and more businesses giving their employees these devices that enable them to be tethered to the office at virtually any hour of the day, many are wondering what is socially acceptable when it comes to e-mail and messaging in the workplace.

"When it comes to PDAs or similar technology it's inconsiderate people that cause the problems, not the technology," says Louise Fox, owner of the Etiquette Ladies and director of Toronto's Protocol Solutions business etiquette.

"The solution is education. BlackBerries, like cell phones, are still relatively new and people need to be educated to become more courteous users. The same courtesy applies to the use of all technology; be respectful and considerate of others and other people's time. If someone does something that annoys you, don't do it yourself."

Karen Mallett, president and chief executive of Winnipeg's Civility Works, says one of the biggest mistakes people make when using their BlackBerry is forgetting that the people and relationships around them are more important than the electronic device in their hands.

"You're not giving anyone your undivided attention if you are continually sneaking glances at your messages just in case someone more important is sending a message," Mallett says. "Think of a similar situation, the work networking event. You are standing and talking to one of your associates and they are looking away, keeping an eye on the door, this wouldn't be acceptable either."

So when should a person pull out their BlackBerry, iPhone or other smartphone and start tapping away as if they were alone? According to Fox, the answer requires good manners and good old fashion common sense.

"Conversations on your Blackberry or cell phone are better carried on in private places where you don't disturb others and won't be overheard," Fox says.

"Even though you aren't speaking when you are e-mailing on your BlackBerry, you shouldn't be texting someone while you are carrying on a face to face conversation with someone else. You may call it multi-tasking, but most people call it just plain rude. The person you are with takes precedence over calling, e-mailing, surfing or checking messages on your BlackBerry."

So whether you're the offender or offended, here are a few pointers to keep in mind:

Think. Before making a call, consider whether it is an appropriate time and place to make a call. Avoid discussing private, emotional or confidential information in public. You never know who might be listening.

Be upfront. When you're in the company of others and expecting an important call or message, let them know beforehand. When the call or message comes in, excuse yourself and take it in a private place.

Avoid the tinkle. Although the restroom affords privacy for some things, it has a high potential for embarrassment and is not the best location for phone calls.

Pay attention. Turn off your BlackBerry during meetings and other quiet settings and let it go to voicemail. Don't e-mail or check for messages. The message alert feature that notifies you a message has arrived is equally annoying to others so turn it off or put it on vibrate. Give 100% to the people you are with.

Keep it private. Do not make business calls in front of others who are not involved in the transaction.

Rock out. Stairway to Heaven and other goofy ring tones are annoying and immature on a professional's BlackBerry.

Be real. Be realistic about your expectations regarding response time. Just because you own a cell phone, BlackBerry or computer, doesn't mean you need to be available at all hours of the day. You control the technology it shouldn't control you.
    08-12-08 06:22 AM
    Avoid the tinkle.
    This made me LOL.

And I have to disagree with the "Rock Out" point. While there are obviously some tunes that are inappropriate and even offensive, a custom tune, at an appropriate volume level, should be acceptable, so long as some of the other points are observed, such as turning off the ringer before going into meetings.

It's your ringer, you have to hear it every time it goes off, you may as well enjoy it.
    08-12-08 06:32 AM
    Bleh...

Luckily I work in IT and everyone, including my boss and his boss and his boss, have their berries on and out all the time.

So I never have to worry about being outcast for having my berry on or using it in a meeting. As long as I'm not playing tetris or watching a movie...it's all good.

There's nothing like impressing your co-workers on a roadtrip by tethering one of your berries and providing internet for them to check THEIR email with...

Dm
    08-12-08 09:07 AM
    There is a very high probability that I will be the only person
    in this thread that agrees with that post in it's totality.

Especially the last 2 lines.
    08-12-08 09:20 AM
    I think it all depends on the time, place and person you are with. If you are out with a fellow crack head then nobody is really going to get upset. If you are out with your significant other then there is a chance of making someone mad.

The only thing I ever have a problem with is people carrying on loud phone conversations in a restaurant. It is usually people that are trying to look or act important or people that don't understand the technology. The worst are the people that have the stupid push to talk CB feature on their phone. They turn the volume up to full ear splitting level and then hold it at arms length to yell into the phone about. I just wish that people would learn to use an earpiece and talk at a normal volume.
    08-12-08 09:39 AM
    You're not the only one AG.
    08-12-08 09:43 AM
    Yep I totally agree with the whole thing (even though I don't want to)
    08-12-08 09:49 AM
    AG = stick + mud.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-08 09:51 AM
    Great article. Thanks.

Unlike the others, however, I love when someone's BB rings in a professional setting, and the ringtone is "Rump Shaker" or something. What is so wrong with that?

I agree with the last 2 lines when it comes to "Corporate America" I dont think you should have to bring your work home with you, but I do agree that if you own your own company as I do, you need to be available for clients in a timely manner. There is nothing worse than a so called business man that you cant reach.
    AG = stick + mud.
    I am going to have to hurt you
    08-12-08 09:53 AM
    I am going to have to hurt you
    Fight, fight, fight! Sorry, wrong thread.

I agree with the last 2 lines when it comes to "Corporate America" I dont think you should have to bring your work home with you, but I do agree that if you own your own company as I do, you need to be available for clients in a timely manner. There is nothing worse than a so called business man that you cant reach.
    I agree with that Cut. I do not know how many times I have to tell people to keep their phones on while working. I cannot believe the number of people who fail to realize the importance of returning calls right away.
    Last edited by Crackberrykills; 08-12-08 at 10:00 AM.
    08-12-08 09:56 AM
    I agree with 99% of it...everyone in my office walks around with their BBs in their hands.
    08-12-08 10:56 AM
    I have a staff of 8 and we all have BB's. I have yet to
    see anyone with theirs constantly in their hands.
    Perspective, I guess. When it does something deal with it,
    if it does nothing leave it alone. And by God have some sense
    of propriety and decorum.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 08-12-08 at 12:10 PM.
    08-12-08 11:05 AM
    This made me LOL.

And I have to disagree with the "Rock Out" point. While there are obviously some tunes that are inappropriate and even offensive, a custom tune, at an appropriate volume level, should be acceptable, so long as some of the other points are observed, such as turning off the ringer before going into meetings.

It's your ringer, you have to hear it every time it goes off, you may as well enjoy it.

Going to have to agree with this. Granted, when in a professional situation, I have mine on vibrate, but I've tried having a generic "professional" ringtone, and every time ANYONE'S phone rang, I checked mine. I like knowing when my phone is ringing, vs anyone else's. Plus, my Blackberry is an extension of me. I like having it customized. My agency is very laid back, and actually, at my interview, my boss asked what I wanted my custom ringtone to be on her phone! So we're all about it, haha!

ROCK OUT.
    08-12-08 11:45 AM

I also agree 100%
    08-12-08 01:38 PM
    Yeah, I'd have to say that sometimes a professional ringtone would be nice when talking to someone and their phone goes off. But then again some ringtones are entertaining. Perhaps we CB users could use a profile when in a professional environment that conotates our professionalism.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-08 02:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD