I agree with the church opinions but to change the topic up a bit, where else is it rude to play with your bb or one of those other weird normal cell phones?

I did like the post on phone going off in the checkout line. Where it really is starting to bother me is while driving. Use the dang ear piece provided (even if its wired). It's illegal in many states now, but I can't stand to be cut off by someone or be stuck behind someone going slow cause they be talking away on their phone.

Any takers?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-08 08:04 AM
    I agree with the church opinions but to change the topic up a bit, where else is it rude to play with your bb or one of those other weird normal cell phones?

I did like the post on phone going off in the checkout line. Where it really is starting to bother me is while driving. Use the dang ear piece provided (even if its wired). It's illegal in many states now, but I can't stand to be cut off by someone or be stuck behind someone going slow cause they be talking away on their phone.

Any takers?

That drives me nuts! Use an earpiece or speakerphone while driving, lowers the distraction level amazingly.

Talking about using your BB for looking up references at Church.......while back when I was going through our membership class there were a couple us of looking up references while our Pastor was asking questions.....we got a little competitive and our Pastor was getting a little annoyed. Found out later it was because he didn't realize so many could be found so quickly (he has a Treo!). We helped him get up to speed.....
    06-23-08 09:07 AM
    I happen to be one of those people that are on call 24 x 7. Because of this I am required to have my bb on me all of the time. I do however make sure it is on vibrate in churches, stores, movie theatres, restaurants, and even my office as to not disturb others. When I do have to take a call I apologize and try to excuse myself as quickly as possible and walk to an area that would be appropriate for my phone conversation (most of the time that means, outside). I wish more users would do this. I even sometimes warn people that I am with that I am on call so that if I do need to take a phone call they know why.

I COMPLETELY agree that hands-free devices should be used while driving. I think that should be a law and I don't think it will be too long until it is in most states.
    06-23-08 09:38 AM
    what were you doing on it? texting or looking something up? just curious!
    Well u know what they say about opinions so hears mine.
    When I am n my place of worship I normally take notes and go over them. Since I have had my blackberry I use it 2 take notes. Its better cuz I don't always have my notebook but I always have my blackberry. People give me sneers and evil looks like they r holier then thou. I know it looks tacky but I could care less. I am thinking y don't u guys catch up with the modern times. Its tacky 2 b outdated. We r all different. Now concerning the man on his bb @ a funeral. Respectfully, it is easy 2 judge someone til u walk n their shoes. None of us have any idea what he was doing. He may have been putting his job n jeopardy just being there. We all put different levels of importance on different things.u jus never know.

06-23-08 09:55 AM
    By calling their actions tacky, aren't you in fact, judging?
    thats called irony

Well u know what they say about opinions so hears mine.
    When I am n my place of worship I normally take notes and go over them. Since I have had my blackberry I use it 2 take notes. Its better cuz I don't always have my notebook but I always have my blackberry. People give me sneers and evil looks like they r holier then thou. I know it looks tacky but I could care less. I am thinking y don't u guys catch up with the modern times. Its tacky 2 b outdated. We r all different. Now concerning the man on his bb @ a funeral. Respectfully, it is easy 2 judge someone til u walk n their shoes. None of us have any idea what he was doing. He may have been putting his job n jeopardy just being there. We all put different levels of importance on different things.u jus never know.
    im sorry, i had a hard time reading this...come again?
    06-23-08 10:03 AM
    If your in Church, and you need to use it- Use it.

Jesus won't start crying in heaven. He's happy your at least there.

I'm sure he cries more that his mass has made it to the media infested circus that we call TV. So that people don't even have to leave bed to participate.

Would it be wrong to use your BB while Mass is on TV?

At least your going to church, and now a days, the church is lucky at best that your there.

People bring their nasty crying children to mass.

They run in the aisles playing hide and seek, screaming and yelling.

At least your blackberry doesn't draw attention like that.

~~~

As for driving and using handhelds, BAH!

The phone is NO MORE a distraction than talking to the passengers in your car, or singing along with the music on radio.

Sooner or later that too will be outlawed.

What the **** is this? A communsim?

Communism will come Soon enough- Obama wants to nationalize health insurance.

All I can say is that, "Ordinary morality is for Ordinary people."

~~~~~

Back to the actual topic of ettiquete-

The only thing I feel is rude about cell phone usage, is when someone interrupts a conversation to answer a phone call.
    06-23-08 10:04 AM
    And To all those who say I never do, and never will,

"Never say that you won't drink from that water."
    06-23-08 10:19 AM
    I wouldn't use mine at church or during a funeral. But I wouldn't get all upset if someone else did. It's a free country and they're not hurting anyone. No laws against that. Everybody needs to stop trying to impose their beliefs on everyone else. Chacun son go�t. But I do get upset when I see someone on the phone in their car while they're driving at high speeds! I bet a lot more people do that and think there's nothing wrong with it.
    Last edited by mrmoe110; 06-23-08 at 10:26 AM.
    06-23-08 10:21 AM
    Agreed -
    Unless it's my funeral - everyone will be expected to be using their BB's. And mine will be in my cold, rigid hand. I even expect the Pastor to read my eulogy from his. (yes, he has one)
    *HaHaHa* That's fantastic!
    06-23-08 11:59 AM
    I think its up to the individual. Its not for me to judge. I would think all you church goers would know that. I'm the type who pretty much follows the rule "if it aint hurtin or disturbin" its all good.

06-23-08 12:11 PM
    I'm sure if I were forced to go to church you'd find me in the back on my BB. At a funeral, Heck if they're Irish we're probably all drunk anyway. Nothing like a good ole' Irish funeral.
    Irish funerals are just as somber as any other...it's the wake aftewards that's the fun part...gotta love us Irish...birthdays, weddings, funerals...any excuse to have a party and get hammered!

BTW, you'll never catch me in church with my BB...I'm an atheist...
    06-23-08 12:57 PM
    I carry mine into church with me all the time. That is what I use as my bible. I put it on vibrate or Off and won't respond to anything until after I leave. I also will use it to write down upcoming events or jot down a note that I remember.

I also think the phone during the checkout is rude. My wife works in the pharmacy at Walmart and they won't help someone that is on the phone. They will just stare at them til their off the phone.
    Last edited by jbonnot03; 06-23-08 at 01:23 PM.
    06-23-08 01:21 PM
    This thread went fast! I posted earlier that I wouldnt use it in the funeral room, but I do take it into church and check my messages if I get one, but I would never type a reply back! One time though, this women didn't put her regular phone on vibrate and during the quietest part of mass when the priest was blessing the gifts, her phone went off with the ringtone: "when the saints go marching in"! My Mom and I were laughing for the next 10 minutes with most of the parish. It may have embarrassed her, but she deserved it in my opinion. I always put mine on vibrate.
    06-23-08 02:24 PM
    i understand where u guys are coming from about the whole church thing, but what's the big deal at the gym? its not like it effects u...
    06-23-08 02:59 PM
    In my opinion, I think the etiquette comes with the territory of owning a Blackberry as opposed to the super-rad-and-trendy iPhone or Sidekick or whathaveyou.

I guess that's a bit pompous, but I feel important with a Berry I feel like I have an image to uphold.

But, whether someone wants to text in the gym or not, he's gonna be the one missing out while I'm pumping it out and walking off with some sexy abs.
    06-23-08 03:56 PM
    That is very Tacky. Once your in church, all electronic devices should be turned off.
    You are in church to Praise the lord. and if you can't do that, then leave.

I saw someone texting in church once. I can't tell you how upset I was. So I told an Usher about it, and she made him give her his phone until after service was over. This was a grown man, mind you.
    Ironically... I text every week in church. During the offering of peace to each other, I text the love of my life who's 7 hrs away from me "Peace be with you" every time we do it so she knows I'm thinking about her and wishing she was with me. Is it ethical? I guess not, but it helps me connect with her at a time that I do want to be connected to her.
    06-23-08 05:25 PM
    Well isn't that cute =D

06-26-08 07:45 PM
    Ironically... I text every week in church. During the offering of peace to each other, I text the love of my life who's 7 hrs away from me "Peace be with you" every time we do it so she knows I'm thinking about her and wishing she was with me. Is it ethical? I guess not, but it helps me connect with her at a time that I do want to be connected to her.

Awwww how cute
    06-26-08 07:55 PM
    Yeah you really should put your bb away during things like that. I mean come on I know we are all crackberry addicts but you can atleast put the phone away to pay your respects. No matter how badly you want to check your messages since the little red light is blinking
    06-26-08 07:57 PM
    i understand where u guys are coming from about the whole church thing, but what's the big deal at the gym? its not like it effects u...
    it does when they are just sitting on a machine texting away with no concern for those who are waiting next
    06-26-08 08:01 PM
    Irish funerals are just as somber as any other...it's the wake aftewards that's the fun part...gotta love us Irish...birthdays, weddings, funerals...any excuse to have a party and get hammered!

BTW, you'll never catch me in church with my BB...I'm an atheist...
    As a recovering Catholic I can see your point. I must be from the wrong side of the Irish tracks, we tend to drink through the whole process.
    06-26-08 08:02 PM
    Folks, I have only had my BB a week but have used my PDA a few times in Church to capture "words of wisdom" from the pulpit, my view is catch those inspirational words before they are lost forever. I think the world is changing fast and using your device is fine as long as you don’t overdo it.

My pennies worth.....
    06-28-08 07:19 AM
    Wel, I'm not going to sit here and front- I have used mine in Church. And I do believe that most people wont admit that they've done/do it.
    Ill admit too! I go to church every Sunday and the whole gospel principels class. I've used mine in there before while we were waiting on the kind lady to come in and teach us! But NEVER would I use it during Sacrament!!! I would fear that G would strike me down on the spot!

06-28-08 07:38 AM
    That is very Tacky. Once your in church, all electronic devices should be turned off.
    You are in church to Praise the lord. and if you can't do that, then leave.

I saw someone texting in church once. I can't tell you how upset I was. So I told an Usher about it, and she made him give her his phone until after service was over. This was a grown man, mind you.
    Yes, I see that all the time too.
    In the beginning of church services, an annoucement is made to turn your BB or any electronics off and/or vibrate.

Would you like it if GOD was busying texting on His BB while you're praying and need Him to provide a miracle for you?

I hope NOT!
    06-28-08 08:34 AM
    When I go to Mass, I will put it on Quiet; before Mass starts, I might update my Calendar, but I steadfastly refuse to look at any flashing red lights between when the Mass starts and when it ends. (I used to put it on Vibrate, but having it Vibrate its way all the way across the pew was just a bit much.)

And let us remember; there was a time, within living memory for most of us, when there was no such thing as a phone that wasn't physically plugged into the wall of your home or office, and a Personal Data Assistant was your mother reminding you to phone your grandma.
    06-28-08 02:45 PM
89 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD