I'm thinking of buying a BB Curve 8900 because I'm in need of a new phone and I'm heading off to college soon so I think a BB will be perfect for me. The only thing I worry about is if it can fit my entertainment needs as a phone. I know I'll use it for school to keep up with certain things and for business use but I also want to be able to have fun with it.

Do you think the BB is also a good entertainment device or are there better ones on the market?
    03-08-09 10:47 PM
    There are definatley better"entertainment" phones such as the Instinct and other high media choices. But a Blackberry offers the best balance as far as getting stuff done, staying organized, typing speed, email as well as media for downloading songs, movies and photos.

For balance, go blackberry
    03-08-09 10:54 PM
    oh heck yea you can do alot with it
    you can put movies and vids and use sling box and view t.v.
    it deff. holds up to the media/entertainment aspect of it all
    03-08-09 11:08 PM
    For my media uses (on-sd music, playlists, fm web radio) it is perfect and with pretty much no flaw. There are obviously BETTER media phones out there, but the BB media is actually pretty good (especially considering what else you get with entering the BB field)
    03-08-09 11:17 PM
    Don't even consider this as an option unless you are prepared for
    second rate, substandard performance. The multimedia function
    on the BlackBerry is absolute crap IMO.
    03-08-09 11:22 PM
    You may want to consider your actual needs a bit. I mean get what ever phone you want, but chances are your laptop would be with you 98% of the time. And the rest should be spent looking at co-eds.
    03-09-09 12:07 AM
    Don't even consider this as an option unless you are prepared for
    second rate, substandard performance. The multimedia function
    on the BlackBerry is absolute crap IMO.
    I highly disagree. My BlackBerry Bold has a sexy media player / interface with a 3.5mm headphone jack. I usually listen to music all day at work and still don't need to charge the damn thing until later at night.

The music player works really well. There are even streaming music solutions that work well such as Slacker.

Unfortunately YouTube doesn't work as well on the BlackBerry as the iPhone due to the way Google encodes its videos on its mobile site and Pandora is currently not available but it still funcitons pretty well as a media player.

Naturally players geared towards this would be better but if media is a secondary item for you; then the BlackBerry wins hands down. It even plays my MP3s that my iPods don't play (variable bit rate I believe).
    03-09-09 12:15 AM
    I highly disagree. My BlackBerry Bold has a sexy media player / interface with a 3.5mm headphone jack. I usually listen to music all day at work and still don't need to charge the damn thing until later at night.
    In case you missed it, I said IMO (In my opinion). It wasn't a statement of
    fact. I still think the OP would be better served with a device dedicated
    and designed to that purpose.
    03-09-09 12:30 AM
    There are definitely better media phones out there, or maybe you ll wanna stick with a blackberry and mp3 player combo, but the media function on the blackberry sure is handy when its 2 in the morning and you have a 15 minute trek home from the bar. just don't forget your earphones.

I never liked bringing my ipod along when I went out

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-09 12:45 AM
    In case you missed it, I said IMO (In my opinion). It wasn't a statement of
    fact.
    In case you missed it, I said I highly disagreed. It wasn't a statement of fact.

goof
    03-09-09 01:12 AM
    Well I have an Curve 8330 from sprint. Audio as far as MP3s on your SD card for the 8330 works great. Streaming audio from internet is damn good as well and most carriers allow you buy n download music. Some have TV like sprint and you can also check out vids on youtube. But as far as like movies or vid clips on a BB it kinda succz. But realy almost all phones due. But BB is worse if it had maybe coreplayer TPCMP player or something but still almost all phone you have to rip a dvd then format it then put it on your sd card way to many steps to do just to watch a moive.

03-09-09 03:18 AM
    I think all your needs would be met with a Blackberry, a PSP and maybe a DS. That way you have your BB for keeping you on task and the PSP and the DS for the fun stuff.... That's my arsenal right there! And I am WAY past college...
    03-09-09 03:33 AM
    With my BB I am able to put like Ten tv shows on it, hundreds of songs, many pictures, and slacker radio. I'm at school all day and at the campus gym listening to the radio, sending emails, and everything else I need! Plus with voice notes you can record your professor thus eliminating your need for a recorder, ipod, and portable dvd player. Its all in one useful device, the BB!!!

Last edited by joeymusleh; 03-09-09 at 11:01 AM.
    03-09-09 08:45 AM
    Thanks everyone! I think I might be picking me up a BB very soon.
    03-09-09 02:36 PM
    oh heck yea you can do alot with it
    you can put movies and vids and use sling box and view t.v.
    it deff. holds up to the media/entertainment aspect of it all
    how do you get sling box to work on the 8330

please help
    05-25-09 01:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD