Daughter is studying abroad in El Salvador for 4 months. I got us both BB Bold in hopes this would be a good way to communicate. Talked to Verizon Global Dept the other day. They recommend Global Package for $64.99 per months which gives unlimited email and BB messenger, plus phone calls at $1.99 and texts at 50cents to send, 5cents to receive. Here is my confusion, they said Mobile Skype doesn't work internationally? That seems odd if we have data package. My daughter has a lot of friends mostly in the U.S. that she wants to keep in touch with. Skype would be perfect. Also, I am worried they are all going to keep texting her and charges will build. Is there a way to block texts? Getting overwhelmed with all of this and the best way to go. Thanks for any tips.
    08-10-10 09:31 PM
    It should. In the TV ads they show people calling other countries. I'm not a skype user but do some more research

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-10 09:41 PM
    The Skype BlackBerry app only works on the Verizon network and only works while you (and the BlackBerry) are physically located in the US.
    08-10-10 09:53 PM
    We are on Verizon - could we log onto Skype through the Internet on our phones?
    08-10-10 11:23 PM
    Again, it will only work while you (and the BlackBerry) are PHYSICALLY LOCATED in the United States.

It will not work on the BlackBerry while your daughter is in El Salvador.
    08-11-10 06:55 AM
    I recommend getting the BB global plan and using it for BBM and the like. Then, assuming she has a PC with net connectivity, use desktop Skype. Skype out credit is usually pretty cheap. When I was in London for two weeks on business a while back it ended up being only about $.02/minute.
    08-11-10 11:21 AM
    Thank you so much. Yes, it is starting to become more clear about our options. She will use Skype at Internet cafes. We'll get the Verizon Global Plan and use BB messenger and email on her phone. Sorry, if this is a dumb question, we are new to BB, can she turn off the phone/text access on her phone so that we don't risk any of her friends trying to phone or text her? And in an emergency if I need to call her, I could BB messenger and tell her to turn her phone on.
    08-11-10 12:32 PM
    What is the Skype out credit?
    If she just uses Skype on the internet it is free right?
    08-11-10 12:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD