Some of us BB lovers have to face reality. As much as I love my BB Bold 9930, it's time for me to make the change to a Droid or Apple platform.

Factual Reasoning - in no particular order:

1) My carrier (Sprint) divorced BB some time ago and no type of new BB devices are available.
    2) My Bold 9930 is 3G - Sprint engineers tell me CDMA will no longer be available in a year or so for all carriers and only 4G phones will be operational.
    3) Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile are the only carriers that have availability of the Priv or new DTEK50. Since the QWERTY is a must for me, the Priv would be my only choice.
    4) After visiting Verizon and AT&T to see the Priv in action (seems nice, loved the keyboard), sales agents told me they sell maybe 1 unit every other month, if that. If that is the case, knowledgeable support for problems or questions is probably non-existent.
    5) An Apple store is about 10 minutes from my home so if I go in that direction, support is there. Where are the BB stores
    5) A friend of mine attends the Las Vegas tech show each year and he tells me this is the first year BB did not even have a booth. If that is the case, is there a future for them here in the states? I'd be foolish to answer anything but NO.

Droid or Apple don't have QWERTY keyboards so the changeover is going to be painful but I think it has to be done.

I'll probably run on my Bold until the network kicks me off. The size of my Bold, ease of use, ease of typing and many other features makes me depressed that I'll have to be without it shortly but that is the way it is. It's been a great partner and I'll certainly miss it.
    09-18-16 01:21 PM
    Please invite me to the funeral.

Posted via CB10
    peednus likes this.
    09-18-16 01:37 PM
    Thanks for wasting your time with your positivity negative opinion!
    Face reality:
    It ain't over till the fat lady sings. She may be humming but she ain't singing!

09-18-16 01:42 PM
    Thanks for wasting your time with your positivity negative opinion!
    Face reality:
    It ain't over till the fat lady sings. She may be humming but she ain't singing!

http://www.picturesanimations.com/3/3d_smileys/0269.gif
    There is no better lover of BB than me and I wish the current marketplace were different. That said, the fat lady has already sung (at least in the US) for the reasons stated in my post. If you don't think that is factual, I wonder which stateroom you were in on the Titanic. Oh, I forgot, you were probably one of the deck hands yelling "all is well" as the ship sank.
    Last edited by whodathunkit; 09-18-16 at 02:11 PM.
    anon(3732391) and chain13 like this.
    09-18-16 01:53 PM
    This post would have been relevant 2-3 years ago.
    You're just figuring out now that you're BlackBerry 7 OS is RIP?
    BB10 is also now effectively dead and BlackBerry has now moved on as a software company with a small hook in the hardware game.
    You can now get their Android variant with DTEK50 and the Priv and if you want a keyboard device other than the Priv, they are supposed to be coming out with a new Android phone with a keyboard in the next few months.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-16 02:14 PM
    This post would have been relevant 2-3 years ago.
    You're just figuring out now that you're BlackBerry 7 OS is RIP?
    BB10 is also now effectively dead and BlackBerry has now moved on as a software company with a small hook in the hardware game.
    You can now get their Android variant with DTEK50 and the Priv and if you want a keyboard device other than the Priv, they are supposed to be coming out with a new Android phone with a keyboard in the next few months.

Posted via CB10
    Even with the negative tone, a fair criticism. Yes, I am aware the BB 7 OS is dead but that is not what the intent of the post is. With carriers in the US limiting, if not strangling BB output, the market for ALL BB products - hardware and software - seems non existent. I wish that were different but that is the reality here in the states.
    09-18-16 02:46 PM
    the market for ALL BB products - hardware and software - seems non existent. I wish that were different but that is the reality here in the states.
    Quote from CP in May:
    "BlackBerry says it has signed a one-year contract with a civilian agency that provides security for the Pentagon.
    The renewal agreement with the Pentagon Force Protection Agency, announced Tuesday, will see the smartphone maker continue to provide internal and external alerts, messaging and emergency notification services for the Pentagon and other U.S. Defense Department buildings in the Washington area."
    By the way, Clinton uses a BlackBerry.

BB, Still the One
    Stuart A Smith likes this.
    09-18-16 03:00 PM
    Please invite me to the funeral.

Posted via CB10
    Eu10gy...? :-(

�   "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "   �
    khlover520 likes this.
    09-18-16 03:07 PM
    BB may be "dying" on the consumer end of the market, but I believe the introduction of the dtek50 will keep it afloat with enterprise users. I mean, should a company issue BB as corporate phones, employees are pretty much forced to use it opening up a new group of users who wouldn't have even thought twice about BB. It might be a bit overly optimistic, but as more people get a hand on (or at least made aware) of BB's new offerings sales will grow organically as more people consider BB for their personal handsets.
    09-18-16 03:59 PM
    Here I was thinking this was gonna be about another "BB10 is dead" post.. but no..

It's kinda refreshing.. lol.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-16 06:35 PM
    BB may be "dying" on the consumer end of the market, but I believe the introduction of the dtek50 will keep it afloat with enterprise users. I mean, should a company issue BB as corporate phones, employees are pretty much forced to use it opening up a new group of users who wouldn't have even thought twice about BB. It might be a bit overly optimistic, but as more people get a hand on (or at least made aware) of BB's new offerings sales will grow organically as more people consider BB for their personal handsets.
    Although there are always exceptions, very few companies, if any, are issuing BB's to US employees. The OCC (Office of Comptroller of Currency - regulatory agency for most larger banks here in the states) issued Apple iPhone's to its employees after being a BB user for years. For obvious security reasons, they used BB devices and it's platform for at least the past decade until about a year or two ago. I guess Apple iPhone's passed security protocol because their fleet of examiners have them in hand and in use daily at the moment transmitting highly confidential information.
    09-18-16 07:33 PM
    I don't see how someone who is in the physical keyboard group wouldn't at least try BlackBerry's best phone on android -Priv. The fact that you don't have a BB store nearby doesn't make much difference, you can still ship it out for service somewhere if you needed to. I don't use the qwerty keyboard but still might have to try Priv simply because it's BB best one that's up to date.
    09-18-16 08:26 PM
    I went to three different AT&T stores this weekend to get the youngest her new iPhone. While there I looked for the Priv display. There were none to be found. Not. A. One. Nada. Zero. Masses of Samsung, and LG, one HTC (A9), and the iPhones. Not a single BB device shown. In the US, if you lose AT&T, and T-Mobile, go ahead and get the coffin ready. Because it does not look good.
    09-18-16 08:40 PM
    I don't see how someone who is in the physical keyboard group wouldn't at least try BlackBerry's best phone on android -Priv. The fact that you don't have a BB store nearby doesn't make much difference, you can still ship it out for service somewhere if you needed to. I don't use the qwerty keyboard but still might have to try Priv simply because it's BB best one that's up to date.
    Support for repairs or questions is important. If the local Verizon or AT&T store is telling me they sell, maybe, one unit every other month - why would I want to purchase a device that no one uses? That said, I did try a Priv demo at the local Verizon store. It seemed nice but may not be worth the hassle since QWERTY's seem a thing of the past. I liked the Classic as an upgrade to my Bold but the Verizon website shows discontinued.

Maybe i'll wait to see what what QWERTY BB will be available in the next few months as McStravi indicates in this post.
    09-18-16 08:41 PM
    I went to three different AT&T stores this weekend to get the youngest her new iPhone. While there I looked for the Priv display. There were none to be found. Not. A. One. Nada. Zero. Masses of Samsung, and LG, one HTC (A9), and the iPhones. Not a single BB device shown. In the US, if you lose AT&T, and T-Mobile, go ahead and get the coffin ready. Because it does not look good.
    My point exactly - thank you.
    09-18-16 08:42 PM
    Somehow I still believe there is hope for BlackBerry and people will need it again :s

Maybe I love BlackBerry too much I don't know.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport 
    09-18-16 08:54 PM
    OP, what on earth does it matter what other people think about your phone! You're the decision maker, make the decision that best suits your needs.

My needs are best met by using BlackBerry phones.

--Classic, 9700, Playbook, flip - posted using crackberry app --
    digitladestined likes this.
    09-18-16 09:38 PM
    Eu10gy...? :-(

�   "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "   �
    Keep up the great work!

Posted via CB10
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    09-18-16 10:02 PM
    Your post makes no sense to me. You say a physical keyword is a must, then say your considering jumping ship to another non keyboard device.

Sprint is awful anyway. If price is an issue switch to tmobile and get a Priv. If not switch to Verizon or AT&T and (again) get a Priv. That is if you really do care about having a keyboard.

Sent from my Passport
    09-18-16 11:11 PM
    Ever heard of Q10? Or maybe Classic?
    Please tell me you have.
    09-18-16 11:36 PM
    Hello.
    Has anyone tried the AT&T unlocked priv on amazon/ebay? If yes, does it have any shortcomings or works flawlessly as the official one on BB website?

Posted via CB10
    09-19-16 12:15 AM
    I'm just happy everything is still offered here in Canada, and I see no end to using my 9900. I am a little upset about the Whatsapp situation so I am savouring every minute with it.

I have never tried putting my device on 3G to see how fast it is. I am good with the H+ speed for doing everything I need tho.

We'll see what happens.....

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-19-16 12:30 AM
    Many people find the Priv PKB simply too "shallow" and not providing the "feeling" of the classic PKB feedback. Someone once mentioned in here that the Priv KB had to be shallow to maintain the device's thinness.

I'm sure the Priv is a powerHouse though.

09-19-16 12:36 AM
    Many people find the Priv PKB simply too "shallow" and not providing the "feeling" of the classic PKB feedback. Someone once mentioned in here that the Priv KB had to be shallow to maintain the device's thinness.

I'm sure the Priv is a powerHouse though.

I would agree - used a demo for a period. As I have noted elsewhere the keyboard was too shallow, balance off, felt similar to the PKB's made by other makers when BB was king in the day of the 9000 or the 9900. Also, was unimpressed with the build quality...
    09-19-16 05:28 AM
    I actually heard the fat lady sing a chorus when they went with Android .
    FF22 and neoberry99 like this.
    09-19-16 06:20 AM
76 123 ...