So my non-techie Mom is retiring. She has a Motorola Razor with an AT&T plan. Ya know like 450 minutes for $39 a month. She rarely texts, rarely uses the phone in general. However her battery is nolonger holding a charge for much more than a couple hours. She is also bored with the phone. My Girlfriend has a spare BB she use to use before she got a BB thru work for free. Now she wants to hammy down her BB to my Mom. It is basically new, hardly used. My Mom wants it but is wondering if she will have to spend the $$ and have to get a data plan which she does not want. Anyone know if AT&T will allow her to use the BB with her $39 voice plan? Thanks!
    08-07-09 10:51 PM
    She will not HAVE TO get a data plan and given how you describe
    her usage that's probably best. ATT&T does not require a data plan.
    08-07-09 11:02 PM
    You currently do not have to have the data plan to use a BlackBerry with AT&T, though I hear rumors that may change in the future.

As for the cost of the voice plan, it would be whatever current voice plans are available. Or she could just switch her SIM card to the BB and just keep right on with her current plan. Unless the BB is a 3G device, in which case her old Razr SIM card wouldn't work.
    08-07-09 11:03 PM
    Just if anyone wants to know....Verizon will not allow you to activate a BB without a data plan. Lame.
    08-08-09 02:40 AM
    to data! AMEN!!
    08-08-09 02:59 AM
    I just switched my sim card from a razor to a blackberry on at&t with just a voice plan, works fine.
    08-08-09 07:43 AM
    since she hardly uses her phone like that its best not to put the data plan on it.
    08-08-09 09:25 AM
    I'll have her swap the SIM card and see if it works. I'll get back to you all with the results. Thanks again!
    08-08-09 11:19 AM
    i couldn't live with out my data!!
    08-08-09 11:38 AM
    I would call at&t and have them block pay per use data in case the blackberry decides to connect itself.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-09 11:52 AM
    .. If you switch the sim card it should work with no problems at all. Data will Not work unless you have a Blackberry plan on your account - so there's nothing to worry about.
    08-08-09 12:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD