Hi,

I have always wondered is the BB browser data encrypted? Like if I go to a website that is not encrypted, is the data between my BB and RIM's servers encrypted, or does RIM receive the data in the clear?
    01-19-12 11:12 PM
    Not encrypted !
    01-20-12 09:39 PM
    Really, because I thought all communications between the BB and RIM's server for any service were encrypted. Is this not true?
    01-21-12 03:24 AM
    I thought so too. But that's probably only with BBM and emails.
    01-21-12 11:21 PM
    You may want to read this: http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...001-3.0-US.pdf

Between Blackberry's servers and your phone, BIS encrypts your data (email, IM, etc) if the servers for those support SSL. If you are using a browser on the phone and go to a secure site with SSL, then all transmissions within that site and session are encrypted. (Unfortunately, even non-smartphones can do this...lol)

You also may want to be especially careful with which email services you use with BIS in regards to encryption. I show more about this on this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ported-630548/
    01-22-12 12:55 AM
    You may want to read this: http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...001-3.0-US.pdf

Between Blackberry's servers and your phone, BIS encrypts your data (email, IM, etc) if the servers for those support SSL. If you are using a browser on the phone and go to a secure site with SSL, then all transmissions within that site and session are encrypted. (Unfortunately, even non-smartphones can do this...lol)

You also may want to be especially careful with which email services you use with BIS in regards to encryption. I show more about this on this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ported-630548/
    I made a new BlackBerry email, so the ending is @virginmobileusa.blackberry.com. Is this email encrypted?
    01-22-12 10:09 AM
    I made a new BlackBerry email, so the ending is @virginmobileusa.blackberry.com. Is this email encrypted?
    It is encrypted between BB and BIS. Once it goes out to the internet, it is no longer encrypted. You would need some sort of PGP key to be fully encrypted between sender and receiver.

Sent from my gTablet using Tapatalk.
    01-22-12 05:45 PM
    It is encrypted between BB and BIS. Once it goes out to the internet, it is no longer encrypted. You would need some sort of PGP key to be fully encrypted between sender and receiver.

Sent from my gTablet using Tapatalk.
    Ok, what other BB services are like this? I thought this is how the browser worked, but apparently it doesn't.
    01-23-12 08:14 AM
    Ok, what other BB services are like this? I thought this is how the browser worked, but apparently it doesn't.
    As far as I have read, the browser is not encrypted over BIS (except for SSL). It may be different over BES, depending on how the BES is configured.

Even through BBM is encrypted, it is encrypted with a generic key, which every BlackBerry can read. Messages sent via BIS are encrypted between BB and BIS, but there aren't different keys for each device. With BES, the encryption would be different for each BES, but once the message is passed on to RIM, it would use the generic key again.

The best thing to consider is:

- If you are on BIS, there may be some encryption between BB and BIS, but anything can be read once it hits/leaves the server.

- If you are on BES, there is much stronger encryption in place, but anything sent over BES can be read by the BES admin / corporation. Anything not sent out to the public will be secure within the BES, but that encryption will probably be gone for anything sent outside of the BES. Once it hits the internet, all bets are off.
    01-23-12 10:27 AM
    As far as I have read, the browser is not encrypted over BIS (except for SSL). It may be different over BES, depending on how the BES is configured.

Even through BBM is encrypted, it is encrypted with a generic key, which every BlackBerry can read. Messages sent via BIS are encrypted between BB and BIS, but there aren't different keys for each device. With BES, the encryption would be different for each BES, but once the message is passed on to RIM, it would use the generic key again.

The best thing to consider is:

- If you are on BIS, there may be some encryption between BB and BIS, but anything can be read once it hits/leaves the server.

- If you are on BES, there is much stronger encryption in place, but anything sent over BES can be read by the BES admin / corporation. Anything not sent out to the public will be secure within the BES, but that encryption will probably be gone for anything sent outside of the BES. Once it hits the internet, all bets are off.
    Ok, I also just read that email is not encrypted. It said that the email is not encrypted between your BB and BIS, it may be sent from BIS server to the recipient encrypted if the connection is using SSL, but it is still unencrypted between your BB and BIS servers. The only security is what your wireless provider supplies. Also, why do so many countries think that BBM is a national security issue? I guess it is because they can't sniff them out on the fly, but if they contacted RIM, couldn't they decrypt the messages using the global key?
    Last edited by blue_k; 01-23-12 at 10:56 AM.
    01-23-12 10:48 AM
    Hi,

I just noticed that I am connected to BIS using port 443. Doesn't that mean that all data sent to BIS is using a secured connection?
    Last edited by blue_k; 01-23-12 at 12:21 PM.
    01-23-12 11:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD