Watching Heins keynote address from Devcon Europe, I am really intrigued with BB Bridge 2.0. However, at time between 20 to 21 minutes of the video, one of the bugs was showcased. A picture was taken of the crowd but it failed to transmit to the PlayBook and thus the big screen. There is a lot of hype around these new software releases and including PB OS 2.0 but if 2.0.0.7111 beta is any indication--there might still be bugs to iron out. My advice, let's manage our high expectations.
    Last edited by the_sleuth; 02-07-12 at 02:08 PM.
    02-07-12 02:02 PM
    This was a glitch that later did not show when RIM posted a video of the open on. There are glitches in any presentation, dont let that blind you.

http://crackberry.com/share-feature-...vivek-bhardwaj
    02-07-12 02:04 PM
    Watching Heins keynote address from Devcon Europe, I am really intrigued with BB Bridge 2.0. However, at time between 20 to 21 minutes of the video, one of the bugs was showcased. A picture was taken of the crowd but it failed to transmit to the PlayBook and thus the big screen. There is a lot of hype around these new software releases and including PB OS 2.0 but if. 2.0.7111 beta is any indication--there might still be bugs to iron out. My advice, let's manage our high expectations.
    I agree. It isn't going to be perfect, nothing is and can still be updated.
    02-07-12 02:06 PM
    Oh man... Bill Gates and Steve Jobs had features fail during major presentations, too. I thought Thor handled it very gracefully. Let's celebrate all the other stuff that worked, huh?
    Michelle Haag likes this.
    02-07-12 02:34 PM
    Troubling, though of all the other videos from CES showing this functionality, I did not witness this failure.

You are right though - expectations are quite high right now, which will leave some disappointed that they're still dealing with a computer, and potentially some bugs still in the system

I expect existing 1.0 features to be polished, though am not expecting the same for 'new' features exclusive to 2.0.
    02-07-12 03:14 PM
    Reading the other thread on this "software failure", popular concensus is that the devices being used were out of BT range.

So let's not spin hyperbole about how bad the software may or may not be when it's not necessarily the case. Let's rubbish Eriksson for the protocol they developed "not working" as well shall we?
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    02-07-12 03:22 PM
    Whether the BlackBerry Bridge 2.0 glitches during the presentation(s) reveal actual software defects or perhaps something transient at the time of use of this feature remains to be determined. That said, all the chatter basically saying the software development team should be forgiven is unacceptable. As someone who has designed and implemented complex software systems let me point out that while particular use cases might reveal formerly discovered flaws with the software, any presentation given with a pre-planned script of features to showcase should at the very least be resolvable within 2 minutes. Anything else leaves open the question "Does the development team have no vested interest in the success of the software?" If co-op students are the main labour pool at Waterloo, Thorsten has his work cut out during February.
    02-07-12 03:23 PM
    Reading the other thread on this "software failure", popular concensus is that the devices being used were out of BT range.
    Possible though surely something that could have been resolved within 15 seconds.

So let's not spin hyperbole about how bad the software may or may not be when it's not necessarily the case. Let's rubbish Eriksson for the protocol they developed "not working" as well shall we?
    Maybe Eriksson should have named the protocol Blackbeard (BB), a pirate, instead of Bluetooth (BT), a Norwegian king, connectivty would just magically work between BlackBerry (BB) smartphones and tablets using the Blackbeard (BB) protocol. You see, the symmetry and the naming likeness of the acronyms (BB - BlackBerry, BB - Blackbeard). Besides how can you trust your communications to a Norwegian king without expecting to pay a king's ransom anyway? Should have chosen the ruthless pirate in the first place and handed over the loot
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    02-07-12 03:31 PM

Agree... or let us stop using BT completely - and use WiFi instead... at least that would give a little bit more range...
    02-07-12 03:37 PM
    Having personally experienced "Death by Presentation", I will show a LOT of grace to ANY presenter of ANY product.

If I sold Anvils, it wouldn't surprise me if one failed during a presentation.
    Thunderbuck and Rickroller like this.
    02-07-12 03:42 PM
    I find it hard to believe that the glitch was related to distance. I'm amazed daily how I'm anle to use bridge mail and BBM when my phone is very far from my Playbook. I'm more convinced that the problem was the demo curse which means anything that works flawlessly while practicing will mysteriously fail when a group pf people are watching.
    02-07-12 03:54 PM
    Yup, presentation gremlins are always lurking in the corners.

However, I suspect that it was either distance or some weird signal interference as the top of the picture came up and then it just froze. I wouldn't read too much into this because we all know the bridge communications stack works very well.

Maybe some applehead was in the audience with a jammer.
    02-07-12 04:02 PM
    Wonder if the glitch could have been caused by all the other BlackBerrys in the room?
    02-07-12 06:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD