Hi all,

Ive had a bold 9700 for a couple years, for where i live, i was quite happy with the signal strength, there is obv room to improve but it was ok for me. I finally decided on a new phone and went with the samsung galaxy nexus. (ive been on telus for 8+ years in canada)

Anyways, the nexus is horrible! i barely ever get signal strength, cant surf the web where i normally could. Its fustrating. I am thinking of returning the phone after i make some calls etc.

Now im a bit worried if I go back to black berry and maybe get a new 9900bold that i may still have bad signal strength compaired to my old 9700. Does anyone have feedback on how they have found there upgrade from 9700 to 9900

Ive heard BB and motorola have the best antenna/signal strengths. I remember being out camping with my BB and i was actually able to send a txt in a very specific location and it was great. ive barely used my nexus and its really fustrating. I hope i can get a new BB and be happy again although i thought ive turned away from BB for good but it looks like i might be going back...

Chris,
    Last edited by knight202; 02-16-12 at 04:44 AM.
    02-16-12 04:42 AM
    I've yet to see anyone complain of reportable poor signal stength with BB9900
    02-16-12 07:29 AM
    interesting, im hoping if i go back to a BB ill have equal to my old 9700 or better strength
    02-16-12 08:14 AM
    Well, RIM uses the same radio chips as everybody else, and the Qualcomm CPU in the Bold is one of the most widely used. (The Galaxy Nexus has the same CPU/SOC as the Playbook btw)

In the 9900 forums you occasionally see people complain about signal strength, but overall it should be roughly similar to other premium handsets out there.
    02-16-12 08:34 AM
    In all the comparison videos I see they always state call quality and signal strength is always great

Be Bold
    02-16-12 08:43 AM
    I have a bold 9930 on Verizon, and I've had it since August, and I can't recall a time where I didn't have a great signal or where I dropped a call.

But that may be Verizon.
    02-16-12 09:06 AM
    But that may be Verizon.
    you are right !
    02-16-12 09:15 AM
    Yup... What provider you have makes a much bigger difference than what phone you have. Signal strength and voice clarity/microphone quality is roughly the same these days no matter if you're using a Samsung, Blackberry or Apple.

Something like antenna design might make a small difference, but all of the major manufacturers have the same design constraints.
    02-16-12 09:23 AM
    Yup... What provider you have makes a much bigger difference than what phone you have. Signal strength and voice clarity/microphone quality is roughly the same these days no matter if you're using a Samsung, Blackberry or Apple.

Something like antenna design might make a small difference, but all of the major manufacturers have the same design constraints.
    A certain manufacturer discovered the antenna design actually made a significant difference.
    elvin1983 likes this.
    02-16-12 10:48 AM
    Sorry your experience with the Nexus has been disappointing. My experience so far has been excellent. I get better service in my house than I use to, the phone is ridiculously fast, Chrome browser is amazing, ICS is awesome and the battery life has been better than I thought it would be.
    02-16-12 11:22 AM
    A certain manufacturer discovered the antenna design actually made a significant difference.
    I had a feeling somebody would make a trollish comment and bring that up

Despite the sensationalist and over the top coverage the iPhone4 antenna issue got, the reception was only mildly affected. (It sure didn't keep the iPhone 4 from being the best selling phone ever)

And it wasn't a sub-par antenna, only the placement of it was poorly thought out. In other words, as long as you keep your finger from touching one certain spot on the phone, the reception will be just as good as on any Blackberry or Samsung.
    02-16-12 12:40 PM
    Well, RIM uses the same radio chips as everybody else, and the Qualcomm CPU in the Bold is one of the most widely used. (The Galaxy Nexus has the same CPU/SOC as the Playbook btw)

In the 9900 forums you occasionally see people complain about signal strength, but overall it should be roughly similar to other premium handsets out there.
    doesn't the radio stack code have something to do with this. Each company can use the same chip but they write their own code for it. RIM takes extra care when writing the code and is one of the reason BBs have always had great signal strength
    02-16-12 12:45 PM
    doesn't the radio stack code have something to do with this. Each company can use the same chip but they write their own code for it. RIM takes extra care when writing the code and is one of the reason BBs have always had great signal strength
    I think that was the case with all GSM models prior to the 99XX. Since the 99XX runs a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor in both CDMA and GSM versions, the code is written by Qualcomm (at least that's how I understand it). With previous GSM model devices, RIM would write their own radio stack code, but on the CDMA variants the code was not written by RIM.

I can't remember where I read about this, I think it was here on CB sometime before the 99XX series launched.
    02-16-12 02:15 PM
    Had the same problem with my iphone 3gs and my android lg optimus 3d,

I live in the country but work in the city, and the blackberry has been the only phone with signal strength of respective amount at my house.
    02-16-12 02:25 PM
    I had a feeling somebody would make a trollish comment and bring that up

Despite the sensationalist and over the top coverage the iPhone4 antenna issue got, the reception was only mildly affected. (It sure didn't keep the iPhone 4 from being the best selling phone ever)

And it wasn't a sub-par antenna, only the placement of it was poorly thought out. In other words, as long as you keep your finger from touching one certain spot on the phone, the reception will be just as good as on any Blackberry or Samsung.
    I was right to call upon my trusty flame suit even after carefully wording that post.
    I dont know where your strident defense of a widely accepted and clear mistep emanates from but the affected manufacturer took it seriously enough to offer some covers and did put TWO antenna in the next iteration of the affected device just to be sure.
    02-16-12 06:46 PM
    Hi all,

Ive had a bold 9700 for a couple years, for where i live, i was quite happy with the signal strength, there is obv room to improve but it was ok for me. I finally decided on a new phone and went with the samsung galaxy nexus. (ive been on telus for 8+ years in canada)

Anyways, the nexus is horrible! i barely ever get signal strength, cant surf the web where i normally could. Its fustrating. I am thinking of returning the phone after i make some calls etc.

Now im a bit worried if I go back to black berry and maybe get a new 9900bold that i may still have bad signal strength compaired to my old 9700. Does anyone have feedback on how they have found there upgrade from 9700 to 9900

Ive heard BB and motorola have the best antenna/signal strengths. I remember being out camping with my BB and i was actually able to send a txt in a very specific location and it was great. ive barely used my nexus and its really fustrating. I hope i can get a new BB and be happy again although i thought ive turned away from BB for good but it looks like i might be going back...

Chris,
    you should be fine. blackberries are known for their strong signal quality.

fact: blackberries get less dropped calls
    02-17-12 12:33 AM
    Im on the BB Bold 9900 On Telus as well and I get wonderful service where i live, much better than Rogers( we dont have bell here). This is coming from someone in northern BC so The bold works pretty good in non-urban areas.
    02-17-12 12:41 AM
    Went from 9700 to 9900 and I LOVED IT!!!!

If anything I got better coverage. So far I've only ever lost signal once, & it was in a dead zone where my 9700 also looses it.

(strange dead zone, goes from full bars to 0 bars & then back to full bars, all within 100 feet)
    02-17-12 03:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD