Hello fellow addicts!

I have a blackberry bold 9700 that came from the rogers network, but is now on the bell network.

One huge problem...it won't connect to bells blackberry internet service. The phone currently only has voice & sms capability. But that's it.

I put a call into bell, and then was transferred to bell blackberry support. After having bell blackberry support call RIM, they said that the phone was still registered to the rogers network. Bell said to call up Rogers and have them release the blackberry from their "system".

The call to rogers was a "nightmare" to say the least. They wanted to charge an unlocking fee of $50, and also a $130 fee. I told them that the phone was already unlocked, that I had done it myself. The rep seemed puzzled by everything and had to call someone else to ask what to do.

I asked Rogers several times why I would need to unlock the phone if it is already unlocked, they said "you need to pay us a $50 unlocking fee, and a $130 cancellation fee". No problem with the BS contract fee, but the unlocking fee...why? My phone is unlocked, I have unlocked several BB's before and have never run into this issue.

The lady was rude, she was not helpful, and I know that Rogers could suffer a severe CRTC fine for what they are doing. They may have millions - billions of dollars, but a class action suit would definitely harm them I will let our in-house attorney deal with that though. Hehe.

Rogers - you should be careful as to who you "play" around with. You never know who is on the other end of the mobile

Anyways, venting will not fix my problem...

Does anyone know why that even after:

1) unlocking of rogers blackberry 9700
    2) phone os & desktop install of Bell Blackberry software
    3) registration messages sent

the bold 9700 will not connect to the bell BIS.

Yes, I am aware that it needs the proper service books. Bell can only get these to you if you do their e-mail trick, but you can't do the sign up for blackberry e-mail or even log on to bell.blackberry because 1) the blackberry e-mail sign up from the phone won't connect to bells BIS 2) bell.blackberry requires you to have an account already.

Any help, numbers to call, someone to contact to fix this, would be appreciated.

One last word for Rogers...your staff is rude, your company's practices are unethical, and you will get in trouble. Some people do have money to pee pee away like you too!

A corporation is hard to maintain when you have several thousand employees to look after. But, You damn well know where the money that is lining your greedy pockets is coming from right???

Thanks everyone!
    07-13-12 07:18 PM
    A few other things...

1) the 9700 bold has a blackberry plan with bell
    2) our bill with rogers was roughly 900 - 1300 $ per month
    3) instead of buying new, we recycle phones by using them until they have truly no life

Rogers board meeting probably went something like this...

"hey guys, we can finance phones to people, lock them into contracts, and then charge all sorts of fees to keep them put".

- "brilliant! this will buy the new yacht I have been eying"

"if smart people figure out our con, we will still be able to take advantage of the thousands of people who do not know jack that we currently sell to!"

- "brilliant! let's juice our customers for all we can"

I am probably not far off

RIM...two things,

1) you should be ashamed of being bought by greed, probably why your company has gone belly up. "we have no comment on what is going on, you have to talk to rogers" - employee of RIM

2) by cutting out the keyboard that blackberry's have, you WILL nose dive your company even more so than your stock price! not a wise decision to try to keep up with the times. if people want an iphone or android, they will purchase one
    Last edited by yachtingparadise; 07-13-12 at 07:39 PM.
    07-13-12 07:34 PM
    So what's happening here is called PIN locking. I don't see this happening a lot any more, but there was a time when carriers would receive a batch of BlackBerry's, then take all the PINs in said back and lock them into their carrier's BIS. If you wanted to take your BlackBerry to another carrier, you would have no not only unlock your phone but then have the carrier "release" your PIN from their management tool.

With the way the management portal handles activation now, the newer devices aren't carrier PIN locked, but I've noticed quite a few 9000, 9700, 9780 devices that still are.

Simply call Rogers, speak with someone in BlackBerry technical support and explain the situation, tell them that your BlackBerry is now unlocked and on another carrier and that the new carrier said the PIN is still locked to Rogers. If you've reached the right department, again, BlackBerry Technical Support, no one else, they will know what to do and be able to complete this for you.

Give them a call and try this. If you don't have any luck with BB Tech Support, drop me a personal message and I'll point you in the right direction.
    Last edited by wxmancanada; 07-13-12 at 09:53 PM.
    07-13-12 09:04 PM
    Thank you so much!!! I will call Rogers again

Is pin locking legal by crtc standards? Anyone?
    07-13-12 09:29 PM
    PIN locking is not illegal and isn't mandated by the CWTA/CRTC. It's there for your security more than anything, it prevents someone from potentially stealing the phone and activating it on another carrier. Only the account holder can release the PIN.

Not a big deal, just takes a phone call and there's no fee involved.
    Last edited by wxmancanada; 07-13-12 at 09:53 PM.
    07-13-12 09:35 PM
    You are wrong.

It is illegal.

I own the device, I own the pin.

Please review rogers terms and service agreement, I just did.

Pin locking may not be illegal or mandated by the crtc, holding personal property against a person and demanding money, is.
    07-13-12 09:40 PM
    1) lying
    2) blackmail
    3) theft
    4) fraud
    5) manipulation

07-13-12 09:43 PM
    by the way...

why would you stick up for a company that conducts business like this?
    07-13-12 09:44 PM
    there's no fee involved. - not true.

rogers demanded $50 to have this done.
    07-13-12 09:46 PM
    Pin locking may not be illegal or mandated by the crtc, holding personal property against a person and demanding money, is.
    ...just takes a phone call and there's no fee involved.
    You're going to want to take this up with BlackBerry directly as this is something they mandated to all carriers back a few years ago. For a BlackBerry to work on a carrier the carrier must have the device PIN in their service table. If they don't have the PIN, the BlackBerry won't work.

They have since changed their PIN management and no longer require calling in to release it, it's now an automated process. You swap SIM cards to another carrier and BIS will recognize the change and do it all for you. Unfortunately you have an older model BlackBerry that hasn't been released from the carrier yet.

Call Rogers, ask for BlackBerry Technical Support, get the PIN released. It will take 5 minutes and you will never have to do it again.

I think you're over thinking the term "PIN locking", lock may not be the right word for this case. Maybe, "your PIN is currently activated with Rogers, you need to tell them you're switching carriers" is a more appropriate term.

there's no fee involved. - not true.

rogers demanded $50 to have this done.
    This is not true, you have services confused. Rogers requires a $50 fee to unlock the phone, this applies to all phones regardless of if bought on contract or outright. What you are looking to do is "release your PIN", which is a free process that is easily done in under 5 minutes.
    07-13-12 09:51 PM
    2) by cutting out the keyboard that blackberry's have, you WILL nose dive your company even more so than your stock price! not a wise decision to try to keep up with the times. if people want an iphone or android, they will purchase one
    WHAT??? You really need to know what you're talking about before making foolish comments like this and giving RIM advice. Probably why you ranted about Rogers so much is because you probably didn't understand what they were trying to tell you. You also asked if PIN blocking was legal but you also stated Rogers shouldn't mess with people because they don't know who's on the other end and that you have money to away on lawyers...perhaps you should have just went to your lawyer instead of asking that in the forum.
    wxmancanada likes this.
    07-13-12 09:52 PM
    Will do.

Thank you for all the help (really).
    07-13-12 09:53 PM
    RIM's stock price is down 95 percent.

It would take some form of miracle for them to recover. FACT.

Trying to house everything on their own network led to the collapse of major business contracts. You are aware how many times there were e-mail network problems right? You don't think that hurt RIM more than anything? Downtime in business is quite a bad situation

I would not blame the iphone, android, or any other phone for that matter. One can keep up with the times, as apple has.
    07-13-12 10:00 PM
    RIM's stock price is down 95 percent.

It would take some form of miracle for them to recover. FACT.

Trying to house everything on their own network led to the collapse of major business contracts. You are aware how many times there were e-mail network problems right? You don't think that hurt RIM more than anything? Downtime in business is quite a bad situation

I would not blame the iphone, android, or any other phone for that matter. One can keep up with the times, as apple has.
    What the fark are you talking about now??? Judging from the fact that you just started posting and have been going on a b-itch rant....I am going to chalk this up to you being simply a troll. Your comments on down time simply amuse me as if your Blackberry is your ONLY means of business, you are not a very wise business person. Outages have happened but nothing that connecting to WiFi couldn't help, or using other forms of online access to your email etc. You really have no idea what you're talking about except for what you've heard spewed from others and media, not based on actual facts or common sense. You originally said "by cutting out the keyboard that blackberry's have, you WILL nose dive your company even more so than your stock price! not a wise decision to try to keep up with the times. if people want an iphone or android, they will purchase one" then you say "I would not blame the iphone, android, or any other phone for that matter. One can keep up with the times, as apple has." Which is it? Glad I don't do business with you.
    Last edited by tjseaman; 07-13-12 at 10:28 PM.
    07-13-12 10:11 PM
    simply a troll - No, I need help with my blackberry 9700 bold that is stuck on rogers.

down time - The comments come from facts. Yours do not.

outages & wifi - I pay for service so that I must connect to a wifi for it to work? That does not make much sense
    07-13-12 10:26 PM
    rogers was unable to fix the problem (nice person on the phone this time). they claim its not in their system, rim does however.

switched things into a torch. enough headache for me. this 9700 is officially shelved for now

if anyone wants a free 9700, let me know. you will HAVE to be on the rogers network though!
    07-13-12 10:47 PM
    I'm looking for an old 9700
    07-13-12 11:04 PM
    pm me your details.

i will put it in canada post next week (really). no use for it.

enjoy the night / weekend!
    07-13-12 11:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD