I was at lunch today around 1 o clock EST, and I checked my texts, low and behold I saw next to the 160 at the top of my screen (I have a tour) a little "1/6" , and when i tested it, i could actually keep typing past the 160 limit, and it spread it out into 6 separate texts (or however many it needed) like a NORMAL phone from this decade would. Now it's 3:15, and that feature is gone..I know I was not the only one that saw this today, can anyone else confirm?
    07-07-10 03:18 PM
    I was at lunch today around 1 o clock EST, and I checked my texts, low and behold I saw next to the 160 at the top of my screen (I have a tour) a little "1/6" , and when i tested it, i could actually keep typing past the 160 limit, and it spread it out into 6 separate texts (or however many it needed) like a NORMAL phone from this decade would. Now it's 3:15, and that feature is gone..I know I was not the only one that saw this today, can anyone else confirm?
    Maybe its a storm or verizon thing, b/c my phone has always been allowing me to type past 160 and just makes it into 2-6 messages all in one since day one, on all OS's.
    07-07-10 03:22 PM
    It's carrier specific. Rogers has had that forever but other carriers have not.
    07-07-10 03:25 PM
    I always thought it was a blackberry software thing, because the network can obviously handle 6 at a time my razr could do that, and the limit happens before sending...I am on verizon though, I just find it weird. I have a tour though, not a storm.
    07-07-10 03:26 PM
    Is it possible that they put that feature out there though and took it back that fast? Why would they do that?
    07-07-10 03:26 PM
    ATT has always had that feature too
    07-07-10 03:31 PM
    I believe the 160 Char limit is actually a CDMA limit, which is why GSM carriers have had it forever.
    07-07-10 03:44 PM
    I don't think its a cdma limit, I've never had such a limit until I've owned a blackberry, and I've always been with verizon; who has always been cdma.

Either way, does anyone here have verizon and did they see this happen?
    07-07-10 03:46 PM
    It seems to be more of a random occuring event. if you google it you will find many people claiming to have this feature for a short period of time.

i personally wish the feature would stay on verizon. And for anyone who says who needs to text more than 160 chars. I do. Not everyone checks email all day, (mostly only do because i have it on my phone) and sometime i just dont want to actually talk to someone. texting seems like the better option for me, especially with friends.
    07-07-10 03:51 PM
    carrier limit, and it's been there all along

I believe you can use MMS to get around the 160 character limit.
    Last edited by plkcable; 07-07-10 at 04:04 PM. Reason: add MMS option
    07-07-10 03:58 PM
    Gf has Verizon and has always had that feature on her LG. The OP should call the carrier and complain that it's missing, worst case is you get it back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-10 04:06 PM
    LG yes BB never. rare occurance
    07-07-10 04:10 PM
    Originally the Short Message Service (SMS) was limited to 160 bytes because it was, er short.

It was a part of the original GSM specification and seems to have stuck with us.

Many carriers (who like to charge for SMSs) have implemented a feature that allows SMS messages greater than 160 characters to flow into the next. This sends two text messages (and charges for them). AT the receiving end these may sometimes be rebuilt into a single text again.

Nice business for the carriers , eh?

My O2 BlackBerry shows the 1/6 ... 2/6, etc. and has always done so.
    07-07-10 04:14 PM
    The limit per text message is 160 on CDMA, 140 on GSM. It's a functional limitation of the system that cannot be overcome, but Pete6 did a nice job as always on summarizing how carriers "trick" the user into thinking he can enter more characters.

A bit of background: SMS messages occupy a space that's used by the carriers to talk to their cell towers. But since they don't really need to talk to their towers that much, they offer that space to consumers for a fee. Somewhere there's a CrackBerry thread with details but I guess I'm too lazy to leave BerryBlab to go searching for it.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    07-07-10 06:19 PM

youre not alone i noticed this too and now its gone. i woke up had a text from my uncle and noticed the lil 1/6. remember it from my voyager. didnt think anything of it till i saw this thread.
    07-07-10 06:40 PM
    It's a CDMA limit, because when I used my Tour in Central America with a GSM carrier, I was able to split my SMS messages.
    07-07-10 06:57 PM
    I have Verizon and didn't see this.
    07-09-10 08:29 PM
    Actually hte carrier limit and the technology limit (CDMA/GSM) are all up to the carrier. GSM is 160 in certain places, less in others. I am GSM and have a 160 limit and 6 message segments possible. The limit of 160 was implemented by one man (forget his name) as a completely arbitrary number based on him and a colleague experimenting with the idea. He figured 160 is a good number for a couple of lines of text to convey an idea.

They use the unused channels in the voice frequency to transmit SMS which gets around a few issues like needing special hardware to handle SMS. This brings us to cost, why do we pay for SMS?

The answer is "we don't have to" or better yet "we shouldn't have to". It costs the carriers nothing to send/receive SMS.

Here's the kicker about the limits, we are getting shafted in North America. In Asia their messages are over 2X the size of ours. We use a 7bit encoding scheme, meaning we get 160 single characters. Now look at the Chinese language. China Mobile allows a message of 180 characters but each Chinese character is equivalent to two of ours. So 180 x 2 is 360.

We get the short end of the stick. I love SMS but I take issue with being told by the carrier it's a premium service and it's the best they can do. All for a few dollars more.
    07-09-10 08:43 PM
    I hate that 160 limit too and use CrunchSMS just because it's aggrivating.
    07-10-10 01:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD