Hi guys
    The time has come for me to move on from my BB Curve 9360. I would sincerely like to stay with BB but from scouring these forums there seems to be a lot of people upset with the Z10. My current BB is on its last legs now and am in need of an upgrade but knowing that when I upgrade I shall be on this phone for the next 2 years (Upgrade methods here in UK).
    If I could have an honest opinion if the Z10 or the Q10 is the way forward. I have never owned a touch screen phone so am asking myself with the Z10 will i be able to adjust and secondly the Q10 not having a track pad. I would love to stay with BB but as mentioned people on this forum don’t seem overly impressed with both and the negatives posts seem to take centre stage. I too have asked the questions why the camera shots aren’t upto scale with the competition (Z10), there is clearly a case with the battery life (There just can’t be that many people complaining about it for it not too be an issue) then with the Q10 the screen resolution only being 720 x 720.
    For a new age phone isn’t this way behind the competition?? It’s just things like this that make me think will the phone be relevant in 2 years time.
    I’m not trying to promote other phones as I have said earlier I really want to stay with blackberry but I just don’t get the feeling that guys on i phone or Samsung seem to be as disappointed with their phones as people have been with the BB10 devices.
    Last edited by arts02; 05-10-13 at 09:28 AM. Reason: transposition error
    Aichj13 likes this.
    05-10-13 07:23 AM
    Why not go and see if your carrier has live demo devices that you can try for yourself? That way instead of making a decision based mostly on other people's impressions of a device (especially when their expectations may not be in line with your usage), you can base your decision a little more firmly on your own evaluation. Base your decision on how either handheld works with your use of your old device, as well as your expectations for what additional features you want.

For my use, the 720x720 resolution of the Q10 doesn't bother me: a QWERTY device is for messaging and communication, first and foremost. The gnashing of teeth and wailing about a small screen phone just doesn't play to me in that regard. The battery issues with the phone seem to come down to a few things: carrier OS and whether sideloaded applications have been installed on the device, and the usage levels of the owner. Both devices have removable batteries: you can carry another one for swapping. Change is a hard thing for people, especially when the BlackBerry paradigm has been the same for so long. Many fans rail against iOS as stale, and yet they complain that features that have always been in a BlackBerry are missing... This is a first generation product: in many repsects you have to throw out the legacy BBOS in your decision making.

As for relevancy: how many phones are relevant in two years anymore? Most phones are made by hardware OEMs so they can always pull whatever their new kit is off the shelf and slap a new phone out.
    05-10-13 07:33 AM
    I love my Z10 but as you've read there are some bugs still to be ironed out and the app situation is still rather lacking at the moment. Those are really the only complaints I have though. The OS is slick and intuitive and can only get better once features get added and bugs get eliminated in updates. I know most of us are patiently waiting for the 10.1 update for the Z10.
    05-10-13 07:35 AM
    I love my z10. It's loaded with tons of great apps, some of which are far better than anything in droidland. BBM and BlackBerry Travel are especially great. I find it far less buggy than my S3, and it gets double the battery life.

It's not perfect, but what is? And if this is the starting point, well, it speaks to great things to come.

You won't be disappointed if you go bb10.

Posted via CB10
    theRock1975 likes this.
    05-10-13 07:42 AM
    I came back to BlackBerry because of the Z10.
    Its missing some apps I want and it's missing some granularity in some functionalities. But it's a brilliant device and I don't see myself going back to BBOS.
    If you are willing to be an early adopter understanding all that entails, then give it a try.
    If you absolutely must have a copy of BBOS 7 using BB10 on the Z10, then that is not what you will get. If you want to grow with the new OS and have a sense of fun and adventure, you will be a good candidate for an early adopter.
    I came back and I'm looking forward, not back.

Posted from my gorgeous Z10, which got me into being a BlackBerry fangirl again!!!!!!!!!!
    05-10-13 07:48 AM
    Personally I would skip this first generation of BB10 devices, the departure from BBOS is just too great for me, it came as a shock to see how different it was and the lack of BIS push email was just a step too far especially when the SMTP bug is still not fixed almost 3 months later on BB10.
    05-10-13 07:55 AM
    Couldn’t agree with you more about going to the phone shop and seeing how they perform. But as you can imagine a few mins in the shop maybe hard to get a good impression compared with people who have had the phone for a week plus.
    I agree with what you are saying about the screen resolution as for e mailing etc it isn’t a big issue but even at some stage watching some form of video on your phone (family videos, YouTube, whatever it maybe)
    As for the relevancy it was more of making a comparison with stats. Ie the i phone 5 has been out for a while and would still seem to be in spec cases more than able to hold its own, take the new htc one and the Samsung galaxy S4. Compare these stats to the say the Q10 (screen resolution wise) which these phones are all up against and the Q10 seems outdated to an extent all ready, I’m not a huge surfer by any means but the odd video I may view I would like to see it in its best form compared to the guy next to me who’s screen resolution is way better for phones that were released at the same time, but will agree with yourself for e mailing purposes this isn’t a huge issue.
    Last edited by arts02; 05-10-13 at 08:00 AM. Reason: response to rthonpm
    rthonpm likes this.
    05-10-13 07:59 AM
    I love my Z10 but as you've read there are some bugs still to be ironed out and the app situation is still rather lacking at the moment. Those are really the only complaints I have though. The OS is slick and intuitive and can only get better once features get added and bugs get eliminated in updates. I know most of us are patiently waiting for the 10.1 update for the Z10.
    This is another area which isn't down to the phone itself but more blackberry, which is off putting. The 10.1 release should have surely been released by now. The fact that a release is needed already for a phone that was delayed by a year so it would be pin point accurate doesnt instill confidence in itself.
    05-10-13 08:05 AM
    Hey arts02,

it's very good to ask about opinion before u buy a phone but in the end it's up to you and you will never really know if it's good for you until you try it for a few days. Maybe your carrier has a remorse return time with limited voice and data usage.. i usually use the phone via WIFI for a few days as most functionality can be used on wifi..

for your concerns:
    1) Camera on the Z10.. check out this this thread: Click here
    2) battery life: my Z10 on a REALLY bad day lasts 8-10 hrs.. that's with CRAZY usage.... on a good day it'll last more then 15+ hours..
    - i'vd had the iphone 4S, nexus 4, S2, S3.. and compared to those phones it's either similar or a bit better.. never really worse! plus with the Z10 there is the battery bundle i keep on me or in my car and it's THHEE BEST accessory out there.. u can buy it here

for the Q10 i cannot really comment cause i haven't used it extensively. the ppi on the z10 is above all iphone models and any phone prior to the S4/HTC One.. (from my knowledge i may be wrong)

negative posts on a phone in a forum will ALWAYS out weigh the positives because it's just human nature to COMPLAIN and BAD MOUTH... go to any other forum about the S4 or HTC ONE u will see similar complaints about Battery life and how it wasn't what people expected! take the complaints with a grain of salt.. most people complain after like 3 days.. that's definitely not enough time to get used to a phone especially switching from different platforms..

when my 9900 broke i decided to try android and got an S2... and it took me over a month of tweaking, learning, installing ROMs and Kernels to get it the way i want it to function with the apps in place to make it my Daily Driver! after that it was a pretty good experience.. before that i wanted to throw it out the window!

so in the end it's what works for you.. and how long you are committed to trying it out with no biased views and definitely not reading MISLEADING Forum posts that BASH the phone..

i love my Z10 .. is it perfect? no... missing features from BBOS like notifications and BIS but WE ALL KNEW THAT .. so i dunno why people are complaining so much.. all the things people complain about are KNOWN!

but i know as an early adopter of a BRAD NEW OS there will be BUGS, there will be FIXES, there will be IMPROVEMENTS .. i am also a Test Lead in my daily job and i guess that helps me with dealing with BUGS as a customer cause i know how decisions are made with bugs etc.. some testers cannot stand bugs in production apps and devices.. but for me it makes me more tolerant cause i know not every BUG can be found.. known issues are there and it';s a risk the business is willing to take to release those KNOWN issues into prod ....

so there is my 2cents.... hopefully your carrier has a remorse period.. hopefully that helps and coming from a BB Curve 9630 i think any phone will make you feel happier ; > haha jk
    saxxman, Zirak and rtang1007 like this.
    05-10-13 08:07 AM
    Personally I love my Z10, but I am sure Q10 is also a great choice, not to mention the upcoming Aristo.

The best way to make decision is to get these phones in your hand for a few weeks, and then decide whether you want to keep them. There will be a learning curve and it was about a week for me, after that everything just works perfectly.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    05-10-13 08:09 AM
    I love my z10. It's loaded with tons of great apps, some of which are far better than anything in droidland. BBM and BlackBerry Travel are especially great. I find it far less buggy than my S3, and it gets double the battery life.

It's not perfect, but what is? And if this is the starting point, well, it speaks to great things to come.

Posted via CB10
    You do realize that a good percentage of the "Tons of great apps" loaded in BBW are android ports, correct? And you know there are many threads here regarding how to sideload android apps onto BB10 devices and the Playbook, correct?
    05-10-13 08:11 AM
    This is another area which isn't down to the phone itself but more blackberry, which is off putting. The 10.1 release should have surely been released by now. The fact that a release is needed already for a phone that was delayed by a year so it would be pin point accurate doesnt instill confidence in itself.
    again you have to take into consideration business and stakeholders process... every company does this... if u look at the history of releases it takes a long time for the next MAJOR release for an OS to come after announcement or launch... 10.0 was the biggest task and they were 100% focused on it.. 10.1 is coming after 3 months... i think that's pretty good! Jelly Bean is still being released to devices.. and it took a while to reach the S3!

ios... well it's just the same over and over again.. haha jk.. but it takes them a while to go from 1.5 to 1.6 etc.. in between they jus tmake people happy with 1.6.2. and 1.6.3 etc.. just like BB has 10.0.10.238, 10.0.10.647 ... yah there was a year delay.. but for good reason.. if it was release when it was suppose to be then it would crashed... it took them 2 years to build an OS from SCRATCH which is pretty good.. it took android 6-7 years and same with ios..

so the updates will now come timely and BB is a different company that is focused on executing and delivering!
    bluetroll likes this.
    05-10-13 08:13 AM
    You do realize that a good percentage of the "Tons of great apps" loaded in BBW are android ports, correct? And you know there are many threads here regarding how to sideload android apps onto BB10 devices and the Playbook, correct?
    20% which is a good chunk.. but with the updates coming android ports should run pretty nicely! i already see a big improvement on the 10.1 leak
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    05-10-13 08:15 AM
    I was never a BlackBerry fan even though I had a work BlackBerry which includes the Pearl, Bold 9000 and curve 9360.

To me it was a great communication tool and thats it.

I tries the Z10 in the telecommunications company and that was my changing point.
    The secnd time I played with, it totally won me over and I made the purchase.

I dont have any reboot issues and it hanged once only and I just had to hold power for 10 seconds.

I absolutely love it and find myself playing with it even without a reason!

Am just waiting for the apps void to fill at this point besides the usual features requests.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 08:17 AM
    Hi guys
    The time has come for me to move on from my BB Curve 9630.
    Hello, first thing first. Do you actually have a Curve or do you have a Tour? The 9630 is a Tour.

If you had a OS7 BlackBerry, I would tell you to ask yourself if you are happy with what your current BlackBerry offers you. IF so, than you'd probably be happy with a BB10 device. I own a LEZ10 and a Dev Alpha C. The Z10 is happily packed away in its box, I haven't used it since shortly after the DAC arrived.

But with both of my BB10 devices, I've noticed I use them the same way I used to use my older BlackBerry phones. They are nice to have for email and very little else. My DAC is my type long emails out phone just like my Bold 99 was. The only apps I currently use on that phone is the browser and the CB10 app. So in my personal situation. I still need to use other devices along with BB10. Just like I did while using the older BlackBerry phones.

I was fortunate enough to get my BB10 devices for free thanks to developer promotions and I am still writing apps for BB10, but if it hadn't been for those promotions, I don't think I would have a BB10 device right now. I would have waited a while to see what the future holds before spending any money on a BB10 phone. But that's just me.
    05-10-13 08:20 AM
    He might've meant the Curve 9360.
    05-10-13 08:24 AM
    So, I got the Z10 and I love it. The camera's time shift has me capturing moments in ways no other smartphone does, the phone quality is great, everything works well for me. I love the dropbox integration, HUB, Remember, BB Protect, and the stock clock is awesome. However, I got it knowing my true love is a physical keyboard. I have two lines and as soon as the Q10 comes out, I'm getting it. Glass does not beat a physical keyboard in my view.
    What I love is that BB gives you both options. The Z10 has a larger screen than the iPhone, higher resolution, better call quality (according to a pro-iPhone youtube video) and the multi-media capabilities are awesome. The HDMI mini as well as the ability to swap batteries, SD Cards, use a universal charger, and a more secure device are all reasons to get it.
    But for us, the physical keyboard lovers, there is another option. A larger screen and keyboard with huge battery life and a great camera. This phone is simply in a class of its own. Sure I give up some screen real estate for the keyboard but I do it gladly. I can't wait to feel those physical keys under my thumbs again. Miss them.
    05-10-13 08:25 AM
    He might've meant the Curve 9360.
    You are absolutely right I did mean the curve 9360 apologies for the transposition error
    I have considered skipping the first generation of BB 10 devices but I know once I leave a make I don’t see myself returning but have always been a staunch blackberry supporter. The only reason I got a curve was because my Pearl 3G was returned 5 times as it kept on breaking down. They couldn’t send me a new one as they eventually discontinued the phone and I was always receiving re-conditioned devices.
    Last edited by arts02; 05-10-13 at 08:39 AM. Reason: text
    05-10-13 08:39 AM
    Watch this video that Kevin and Adam posted yesterday... BlackBerry Z10 or Q10? The CrackBerry Vodcast | CrackBerry.com

I strongly suggest more research on your part and a careful dissection of the so-called negative posts you mentioned (some have vaild functional comments, some are obvious trolls, some have no clue to what they're talking about)
    aarty likes this.
    05-10-13 08:39 AM
    again you have to take into consideration business and stakeholders process... every company does this... if u look at the history of releases it takes a long time for the next MAJOR release for an OS to come after announcement or launch... 10.0 was the biggest task and they were 100% focused on it.. 10.1 is coming after 3 months... i think that's pretty good! Jelly Bean is still being released to devices.. and it took a while to reach the S3!

ios... well it's just the same over and over again.. haha jk.. but it takes them a while to go from 1.5 to 1.6 etc.. in between they jus tmake people happy with 1.6.2. and 1.6.3 etc.. just like BB has 10.0.10.238, 10.0.10.647 ... yah there was a year delay.. but for good reason.. if it was release when it was suppose to be then it would crashed... it took them 2 years to build an OS from SCRATCH which is pretty good.. it took android 6-7 years and same with ios..

so the updates will now come timely and BB is a different company that is focused on executing and delivering!
    Thanks for the feedback so far, I understand making a new platform isn't an easy thing to do by any means but for some reason it just doesnt sit right with me some of the things you're saying and heres why.

If this was a new company who was first hand going into the phone arena then you may think ok, bugs etc are going to happen but for a firm that has built its wealth and once upon time were undisputed kings of the phone market, they should have pretty much nailed all aspects of this. if BMW released a car and the steering was of I wouldn't want to hear its a new car, so we were always going to have issue, cars is what they do in the sense of this is what blackberry do so all these reboot issues, delays, soaftware release to improve battery life and camera images just seems to irk me slightly.

You maybe right in the sense apple system is now out-dated but you get the general feeling that it works and that above all is surely paramount. Personally I cant stand apple and dont seem myself ever owning one but give credit where its due, they sold a bunch of phones and you say it took them a few years to perfect it but as i mentioned earlier phones we're not there bread and butter as such.

When the Z10 landed I was very excited but them for some reason it was met with an faint air of disappointment and this seems to have stuck. The other day i saw a video on here of some one driving convincing people that blackberry maps works...I mean the whole fact that a video was made about this just seems to be that there is an air of "trust us this phone can do these things"
    Last edited by arts02; 05-10-13 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Spelling
    21stNow likes this.
    05-10-13 08:51 AM
    Watch this video that Kevin and Adam posted yesterday... BlackBerry Z10 or Q10? The CrackBerry Vodcast | CrackBerry.com

I strongly suggest more research on your part and a careful dissection of the so-called negative posts you mentioned (some have vaild functional comments, some are obvious trolls, some have no clue to what they're talking about)
    Thanks for that I'll take a look, thats exactly what I was after, "The valid functional comments"

Thanks to everyone else so far who have been helpful with their input as well
    05-10-13 08:53 AM
    Whenever someone comes on a forum and asks for an opinion but keeps pointing to the negative posts they've seen, I always get the feeling that they are just psyching themselves up to jump to another platform.

If you think that ios or android will better satisfy your needs at this point then go for it! You don't need the approval or disapproval of a bunch of strangers in a forum. Lol. You need to use what is best for you.

You haven't mentioned going to a bold so I'm guessing that staying with an older BlackBerry isn't what you're looking for. It sounds like you really would like to explore what the other platforms have to offer and there's nothing wrong with that.

For myself, I came from a curve 9300 running OS6. I love my Z10. The keyboard is fantastic. Email, calendar, dropbox, password keeper and remember, bbm groups, these are my most used and most needed apps and they all work great. The Hub is perfect for handling multiple types of messages. The gestures are smooth and fluid. The browser is fast and reader mode is great. I pick up my phone now and use it for everything. I've had no problems with reboots or battery life.

Is it perfect? Of course not. Are ios or Android perfect? Nope.

For me, for now, the Z10 is the best choice. For you the answer may be different. 2 years isn't forever for whatever choice you make. Enjoy It!

Posted via CB10
    landoberry likes this.
    05-10-13 09:04 AM

Posted via CB10
    What apps might those be? Having recently owned a Z10 I could not find one app that was better on BB10 than on Android(not even the ports)... And the one app I thought was beautiful.. beweather is available on android!!

BB 10 Decision time need honest opinion please guys-uploadfromtaptalk1368194898464.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    05-10-13 09:08 AM
    The truly superior apps are the ones I mentioned : BBM and BlackBerry Travel, among a couple others.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 09:12 AM
    You know, IF your current 9360 is on its last, dying, legs and you MUST get a replacement "just to tide you over until the BB10 device and bugs issue sorts itself out for you," I'm sure there are ways of getting a slightly newer/similar (usually refurbished) BB to yours from a discount electronics shop, OR maybe your carrier still has some BB7 units on a cheap-purchase (no contract) deal.
    I know where I am (Ontario/Canada) we have discount stores selling refurb'ed unlocked older models outright for as little as $50 ...
    If you can find one, see if you can get a Torch 9810 (BB7) for around $100, which has both, touch screen AND QWERTY keyboard (it's a slider). I have the older 9800 and still LOVE ALL its features, functionality and performance (though it IS a bit slow by newer standards).

All your other points in the OP post have equally good counterpoints and solutions that also shouldn't require you to look elsewhere, though I totally 'get' the importance of looking around to see what else is out there & being offered.

Hoping that helps a little.
    Good Luck and Keep Moving!

You are absolutely right I did mean the curve 9360 apologies for the transposition error
    I have considered skipping the first generation of BB 10 devices but I know once I leave a make I don’t see myself returning but have always been a staunch blackberry supporter. The only reason I got a curve was because my Pearl 3G was returned 5 times as it kept on breaking down. They couldn’t send me a new one as they eventually discontinued the phone and I was always receiving re-conditioned devices.
    05-10-13 09:17 AM
72 123