I'm not so sure about that.. especially since none of us know for sure exactly what the new device will entail. All I know is what I just reading, and it said "choice of OS on new device". If I don't read to much into it and take it for what it said, that means to me, that we will have a choice, a Android slider or a BB10 Slider.. who knows at this point???

Posted on my New BlackBerry Classic
    John Chen? He said clearly its an android device and they don't have any other BB10 devices planned for this financial year.
    kbz1960 and LazyEvul like this.
    09-25-15 09:56 AM
    John Chen? He said clearly its an android device and they don't have any other BB10 devices planned for this financial year.
    He also said we will have an OS choice on the new...

09-25-15 09:57 AM

No he didn't - he says this nowhere, absolutely nowhere - he's explictly clearly its an android device, the press is clear its an android device, all of the leaks are clear its an android device.

"Today, I am confirming our plans to launch Priv, [an Android device named after BlackBerry’s heritage and core mission of protecting our customers’ privacy," wrote Chen. "Priv combines the best of BlackBerry security and productivity with the expansive mobile application ecosystem available on the Android platform."

At this point I think even after they use it people will claim there is a secret dual boot function they cannot find.
    early2bed, JeepBB and LazyEvul like this.
    09-25-15 09:59 AM
    Maybe 10.3 on the slider with no runtime come next March .

Edit: was dumb idea.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 09-25-15 at 11:51 AM.
    09-25-15 10:01 AM
    Maybe 10.3 on the slider with no runtime come next March.
    LOL
    09-25-15 10:04 AM

I misread that also.
    09-25-15 10:08 AM
    [QUOTE=cgk;11951372]No he didn't - he says this nowhere, absolutely nowhere - he's explictly clearly its an android device, the press is clear its an android device, all of the leaks are clear its an android device.

This was posted today by Bla1ze, an official statement from Blackberry..Im just copy & pasting.. Im simply stating what I just read.. "While the new device will provide a choice in OS to new and existing customers, the company remains committed to the BlackBerry 10 operating system, which enables industry-leading security and productivity benefits."-Blackberry

09-25-15 10:12 AM
    I misread that also.
    I think the sentence is ambiguous even in context.
    09-25-15 10:23 AM
    I think the sentence is ambiguous even in context.
    I would agree its badly worded but taken in context with every other piece of evidence using it to support the idea that the user will pick what OS is on it is the most futile straw-grasping but par for the course here.
    LazyEvul likes this.
    09-25-15 10:25 AM
    [QUOTE=jmo712;11951408]
    No he didn't - he says this nowhere, absolutely nowhere - he's explictly clearly its an android device, the press is clear its an android device, all of the leaks are clear its an android device.

This was posted today by Bla1ze, an official statement from Blackberry..Im just copy & pasting.. Im simply stating what I just read.. "While the new device will provide a choice in OS to new and existing customers, the company remains committed to the BlackBerry 10 operating system, which enables industry-leading security and productivity benefits."-Blackberry

The "choice" being offered isn't what you believe that you read, and you aren't the only one who has (IMO) misread Chen's very cleverly worded PR statement.

The choice isn't between having Android or BB10 on the slider, it's a choice between using the new Android slider and using BB10 on the existing handsets.

The slider, as has been reported and pictured (many times, in many places) runs Android. Only Android. Only Official GPS-containing Android.

If you read the last part of the PR, the only commitment is to release 10.3.3 of the BB10 OS in March 2016. BB10 handsets aren't mentioned, at all. In later comments (in the earnings call), Chen pretty much destroyed his remaining "commitment" credibility by saying both that he would consider dropping BB10 if Android proved profitable, *and* by announcing that there would be no BB10 handset in 2015 (or, IMO ever).

BB welcomes our new Android overlords!
    kbz1960 and LazyEvul like this.
    09-25-15 10:29 AM
    I would agree its badly worded but taken in context with every other piece of evidence using it to support the idea that the user will pick what OS is on it is the most futile straw-grasping but par for the course here.
    Yes "badly worded" is what I meant but, ironically is not what I actually said.
    I suspect that was not accidental on BlackBerry's part.
    09-25-15 10:39 AM
    If you read the last part of the PR, the only commitment is to release 10.3.3 of the BB10 OS in March 2016.
    So will there be any updates before Priv ships?
    And will the 10.3.3 remove the android runtime?

If a BB10 update < 10.3.3 comes just before the Priv ships I would guess that 10.3.3 will remove the android runtime. This all assumes that the Priv will ship this year .
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-25-15 10:47 AM

If a BB10 update < 10.3.3 comes just before the Priv ships I would guess that 10.3.3 will remove the android runtime. This all assumes that the Priv will ship this year .
    Well the Priv is supposed to be out this year. BB10 security and privacy patches March next year.
    09-25-15 10:52 AM

If a BB10 update < 10.3.3 comes just before the Priv ships I would guess that 10.3.3 will remove the android runtime.
    Obviously, I'm guessing just like you... but I agree with your conclusion

I believe the deal with Google, described as "difficult" by Chen IIRC, was for the Android Runtime to live on (but not to be updated) in existing BB10 handsets. I'm sure Chen made very convincing arguments that he'd be left with unsellable inventory if the RT was removed from existing BB10 handsets, and of course there's the impossibility of Chen forcing BB10 handset owners to a install a "remove RT" OS update anyway... nobody with any sense would install such a crippling downgrade.

So, to allow the RT to be retained in existing BB10 handsets is merely accepting the "realities" and accepting what it is possible to expect of BB in relation to their new (presumed) OHA membership. However, I'm sure Google would want BB to at least try their best to remove the RT anomaly from BB10, and show good faith as a member of the OHA by trying to remove the runtime in a future BB10 update.

TL, DR; I wouldn't be in any hurry to install 10.3.3 if I had an existing BB10 handset running Android apps... LOL
    kbz1960 and DrBoomBotz like this.
    09-25-15 11:04 AM
    Yes remember Google also has to explain to their partners what is happening with runtime so as long as they can say 'they promised when they kissed King google's hand to stop updating it and let it die' then everything should be fine for Google.
    09-25-15 05:05 PM
    Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 10:21 AM
    BlackBerry z10 is my favorite smart phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 10:22 AM
92 ... 234