This is something about the various Blackberries I have owned over the years that drives me mad, and I dont understand why RIM has it implemented this way.. There are times when my Blackberry will run down the battery to nothing because I didnt have access to a charger during the day.. The thing that annoys me is even if you put the Blackberry on external power, it will still refuse to turn the radio on until the battery has charged to a sufficient level ("Battery too low for mobile use"). It also does not turn the radio back on by itself once the charge has reached a 'sufficient' level (Im not sure what the value is -- 15% or 20% maybe?)

Has anyone found any way to work around this short of sticking it on the charger and remembering to check a little later to turn the radio back on?

Thanks,
    Rick
    10-30-08 07:54 AM
    I know how you feel. This has happened to me a few times. I can't find a way around it. If the raido would just turn it self back on I would be fine. One time I forgot about it and it stayed off for 3 hours. If there was a way for auto on it would be fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-08 08:02 AM
    I turn the phone off for about 15 min while charging and reset the phone when I turn t back on and by then ill usually get the radio back. Now I just dnt let it get that low unless I have no choice.

10-30-08 08:06 AM
    the last time that happened to me i was in a important texting conversation(using Pearl 8110) and the radio would not come power back on although it was on the charger so i just left alone and then i started getting notifications of text messages so i suppose it turned the radio back on...
    10-30-08 08:12 AM
    The best way to "workaround" this problem is to buy a spare battery. I have 2 regular batteries and one high capacity battery. I NEVER have that problem.
    10-30-08 08:16 AM
    The best way to "workaround" this problem is to buy a spare battery. I have 2 regular batteries and one high capacity battery. I NEVER have that problem.
    Not really a solution for me to carry around an extra battery.. And the running down of the battery is not a problem per se, but the fact that when it runs down that low and I can put it on a charger, that the radio wont go on until the charge level reaches 20%.

Unlike one of the posters above, mine does not automatically turn the radio back on when the charge reaches 20% -- if it did, that would be ideal.. So the question becomes 'how do you get it to automatically turn the radio back on' in this scenario?
    10-30-08 09:02 AM
    Mine turns back on...

10-30-08 06:25 PM
    Do you have any apps running all day? Facebook, or bluetooth on all day? Maybe you have an opportunity to lower battery use throughout the day and won't run into this anymore.
    10-30-08 06:28 PM
    IIRC, the BB can not run off external power whatsoever which is the reason you can't turn the radio on immediately after plugging it in.

10-30-08 06:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD