I posted this question in another thread about boot time, and didn't get a reply.

I remember when I previously owned a BlackBerry, that every now and then I needed to pull the battery and then restart it. I don't remember why. I think it cleared something that was causing the phone to slow down. Sort of the equivalent of pulling the plug on a locked up PC then restarting it.

However, I keep reading about people running BB10 phones who are regularly pulling their batteries, and I'm curious why. I don't know of any other phone where that's done regularly to remedy a problem. Obviously you can't with iPhones. ... I admittedly don't know much about Androids, so maybe they do this too, but I doubt it. I know my Windows phone, old and crappy though it may be, doesn't require me to do that. Generally, the only time the battery comes out is if I drop it from a high enough distance and at the right angle that the back cover comes off and the battery partially dislodges.

Can anyone offer any insights as to what's different with BlackBerries? Is this a bug-related issue?
    12-11-13 08:38 AM
    To answer the title....no. battery pulls not required.
    12-11-13 08:45 AM
    Battery Pulls are not required, they are only done if your device is exhibiting problems and they can often resolve these problems. Older BBs sometimes had issues with memory and memory leaks, or releasing memory, and rebooting was sometimes done to release the memory and speed up your device, although we found other ways of doing that also. With BB10 this is definately not needed. With Android devices rebooting is sometimes necessary also, in fact my T-Mobile app on my HTC One reminds me to restart my phone once a week! Also Apple iphone and iPads have to be restarted sometimes too, this is done with a press on the power and home button at the same time. BB is NOT unique in the rebooting department!
    12-11-13 08:46 AM
    I posted this question in another thread about boot time, and didn't get a reply.

I remember when I previously owned a BlackBerry, that every now and then I needed to pull the battery and then restart it. I don't remember why. I think it cleared something that was causing the phone to slow down. Sort of the equivalent of pulling the plug on a locked up PC then restarting it.

However, I keep reading about people running BB10 phones who are regularly pulling their batteries, and I'm curious why. I don't know of any other phone where that's done regularly to remedy a problem. Obviously you can't with iPhones. ... I admittedly don't know much about Androids, so maybe they do this too, but I doubt it. I know my Windows phone, old and crappy though it may be, doesn't require me to do that. Generally, the only time the battery comes out is if I drop it from a high enough distance and at the right angle that the back cover comes off and the battery partially dislodges.

Can anyone offer any insights as to what's different with BlackBerries? Is this a bug-related issue?
    I have never pulled a battery in a BB10 device. I have never pulled a battery in a Playbook or Z30. Oh right, you can't pull them. There is your answer. People get into a habit and don't like change so they pull the battery without using the new way to reboot a BB10 device.
    12-11-13 08:48 AM
    As far as I'm aware, battery pulls are not required and honestly aren't that useful. The more "acceptable" and better option is to do a hard reset (hold up and down volume buttons until the blue loading squircle appears). And as for PCs, pulling the plug on a PC is one of the worst things you can do to it. You essentially are creating a negative surge of power which can mess with your internal components and how they interact with the motherboard.
    The only reason I see fit for a battery pull is if you want the easy way out. People say the removable battery is good for when your phone freezes up and whatnot, but the only benefit to having one is the ability to swap batteries if you have a bad one. IMO, that's it.
    12-11-13 08:48 AM
    No. I have never done a battery pull on my Z10. I think the hard reset described above essentially does the same and is quicker and easier to use.
    12-11-13 09:21 AM
    They better not be or I'm screwed. Can't remove it in my z30.
    No they are not needed.
    12-11-13 09:33 AM
    i think in the past it seemed to help "unjam" things. but with todays os things seem to run much more laggless
    12-11-13 09:39 AM
    You can't do battery pulls on the z30. If they were required then you would be able to.

Sent from my Z30
    12-11-13 09:42 AM
    Resets.... I do every now and then, usually because of the Android Player and the fact that I have been on a leaked OS for most of my time with the Z10.

I did have one time where a Battery Pull was the only way I could get the device to do anything. Don't remember what happened, but the Volume Keys nor holding the power button would do anything.... The phone was frozen and totally inoperable. Not sure what I would have done with a Q5 or a Z30... wait till the battery died?
    12-11-13 09:44 AM
    As far as I'm aware, battery pulls are not required and honestly aren't that useful. The more "acceptable" and better option is to do a hard reset (hold up and down volume buttons until the blue loading squircle appears). And as for PCs, pulling the plug on a PC is one of the worst things you can do to it. You essentially are creating a negative surge of power which can mess with your internal components and how they interact with the motherboard.
    The only reason I see fit for a battery pull is if you want the easy way out. People say the removable battery is good for when your phone freezes up and whatnot, but the only benefit to having one is the ability to swap batteries if you have a bad one. IMO, that's it.
    I will go 1 further a removable battery is also good when disaster strikes and the device gets wet, you have a MUCH better shot a salvaging the device if you can quickly remove the battery! Granted this is a rare occurrence, BUT good to have for peace of mind.
    theblob likes this.
    12-11-13 09:47 AM
    Resets.... I do every now and then, usually because of the Android Player and the fact that I have been on a leaked OS for most of my time with the Z10.

I did have one time where a Battery Pull was the only way I could get the device to do anything. Don't remember what happened, but the Volume Keys nor holding the power button would do anything.... The phone was frozen and totally inoperable. Not sure what I would have done with a Q5 or a Z30... wait till the battery died?
    You didn't need to pull the battery. Just try the hard reboot a couple of times. I would have worked.
    12-11-13 10:09 AM
    What's a battery pull? You need to stretch it to increase its life?

Posted via CB10
    paper_monkey likes this.
    12-11-13 10:15 AM
    I have not needed to pull the battery on my Z10. It has not been a requirement.
    12-11-13 10:17 AM
    You didn't need to pull the battery. Just try the hard reboot a couple of times. I would have worked.
    He said that he tried it, with no avail...
    And I can attest to the same exact phenomenon, where my phone was completely frozen and NOTHING helped, except for a battery pull.
    Since I have a Z10 it wasn't really a problem, but it's completely wrong on your part, to blame the user in this case.

But generally speaking, battery pulls aren't needed on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 10:20 AM

I have have used a Q10 since early summer, so 5 or 6 months, and no need for a battery pull.
    12-11-13 10:22 AM
    Yes battery pulls are required all the time an especially on bb10 don't leave home without pulling the battery first
    12-11-13 10:23 AM
    He said that he tried it, with no avail...
    And I can attest to the same exact phenomenon, where my phone was completely frozen and NOTHING helped, except for a battery pull.
    Since I have a Z10 it wasn't really a problem, but it's completely wrong on your part, to blame the user in this case.

But generally speaking, battery pulls aren't needed on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    I can tell you that you didn't need a battery pull.
    12-11-13 10:37 AM
    Just perform a reset, there are two ways to do it:

1.- Hold the power button and when the black screen with the counter appears look in the right-bottom and tap restart
    2.- Hold both volume up and down keys until the device restart (pass through the screen shot), or if you are in a STL100-1 Z10 then hold the power button long long enough until the red led flashes.
    12-11-13 11:01 AM
    They arent required like in BBOS where this would free up memory. I've never battery pulled my BB10 devices, and I rarely restart them either. totally different ball game!
    12-11-13 11:11 AM
    I can tell you that you didn't need a battery pull.
    As always, you can say a lot of things.
    And as always, because you say them, they mostly aren't correct.

When I try it for 5 min to reboot my phone through the only 2 ways that work, and nothing happens, the case is closed.
    I can either wait for the battery to drain or pull it, end of story.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 11:34 AM
    I did a couple of times when I first got it. Haven't had to since then.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 11:47 AM
    I do it once every 2 weeks as my ram is nearly full but security wiped my z10 3 weeks ago now no need best phone ever would recommend it to anyone. simples

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 12:05 PM
    As always, you can say a lot of things.
    And as always, because you say them, they mostly aren't correct.

When I try it for 5 min to reboot my phone through the only 2 ways that work, and nothing happens, the case is closed.
    I can either wait for the battery to drain or pull it, end of story.

Posted via CB10
    Man you and Bluenoser are always butting heads. Makes for some interesting reads, but I'm going to have to take middle ground between you two.
    Not too sure how your phone locked up or what was not working, but I've personally never had to do a battery pull even when locked up (not possible now due to le Z30 anyways). With my Z10, I'd always just hold down the up and down volume keys until my phone restarted. Took a while sometimes which would beg the question why I didn't pull the battery. And to you, I shall answer that I do not believe technology should be shut down in such a way whether it's a computer, tablet, phone, mp3 player, etc. But if it worked for you, then by all means please continue.
    12-11-13 12:09 PM
    Thanks everyone for the replies!
    12-11-13 12:46 PM