Oh ya, I get that. I was just adding a caveat to the whole thread.
    I can tell you are well informed about this part of blackberries , there for awhile you where not on the forum then when these questions popped up again there you are
    02-09-10 05:30 AM
    ... and herein lies the problem. Most of the time when users speak of
    memory leaks they are, well, wrong. The phone is doing what it does.

People has been so preached to about watching memory. Then comes along
    an app that makes grand promises and you have a perfect storm of confusion
    and misinformation.

Yes some apps are problematic but a simpler solution to me is to delete
    anything that does not perform properly (i.e. Viigo)

I currently have 54 installed apps. Of those 6 are never closed out making
    for 11 apps that are always running in the background. I never look at
    my memory except for beta testing one app. And even then I don't care
    what the number is.
    I can relate to that too I never worried about memory leaks ,well till I read threads about memory leaks . I think its kinda a mind set sometimes ,worry over nothing kinda thing sometimes.
    02-09-10 05:45 AM
    I currently have 54 installed apps. Of those 6 are never closed out making
    for 11 apps that are always running in the background. I never look at
    my memory except for beta testing one app. And even then I don't care
    what the number is.
    Can you tell me what the 6 apps that you have running at all times? I'm curious about that. Also, what effect does that have on your battery life?

There are time I have 20 - 25 apps open all day. Still does not matter and
    certainly not affect the performance of my device. I did the same with the 8310
    and that thing had only 64mb of memory.
    I don't expect you to list all 20-25 apps that you have open throughout the day, but can you post a couple of your most used out of this list?
    02-09-10 09:33 AM
    ...the internal RAM the CPU uses is reset. ...
    That is true for most computer, the ones that use static or dynamic RAM. BlackBerry uses FLASH memory., which is non-volatile. It takes an energy input to actually change anything.

Pulling the battery does force the CPU program counter to reset to zero. At memory location 0000, there is the first instruction to generate a full system build.

Closing applications is another time honoured piece of BlackBerry lore. Unfortunatly, it is also wrong. There is no penalty for leaving an application in the Task List.

The installation process copies COD files to BlackBerry memory. They occupy that memory even if they are never activated. When they are active, they can accumulate data in the normal course of running. That data is buffered in memory as long as needed. When it is out of date, it is released to the Java garbage collection.

In short, there is not such thing as a Sun Java VM memory leak.

Those member that are encountering low memory issues would benifit from optimizing there memory.
    02-09-10 09:54 AM
    That is true for most computer, the ones that use static or dynamic RAM. BlackBerry uses FLASH memory., which is non-volatile. It takes an energy input to actually change anything.

Pulling the battery does force the CPU program counter to reset to zero. At memory location 0000, there is the first instruction to generate a full system build.

Closing applications is another time honoured piece of BlackBerry lore. Unfortunatly, it is also wrong. There is no penalty for leaving an application in the Task List.

The installation process copies COD files to BlackBerry memory. They occupy that memory even if they are never activated. When they are active, they can accumulate data in the normal course of running. That data is buffered in memory as long as needed. When it is out of date, it is released to the Java garbage collection.

In short, there is not such thing as a Sun Java VM memory leak.

Those member that are encountering low memory issues would benifit from optimizing there memory.
    There is traditional RAM inside the processor though, that's what I was referring to. The regular memory of course isn't cleared (NAND not FLASH to my understanding) as that takes commands issued by the CPU to accomplish.

And while it's true the VM is solid, I know applications themselves can be written in a sloppy fashion and accumulate memory if they are never shut down. This is what most people probably associate with their memory woes, random apps they download that aren't properly tested and made solid by the developers.
    02-09-10 10:40 AM
    Can you tell me what the 6 apps that you have running at all times? I'm curious about that. Also, what effect does that have on your battery life?
    The six 3rd party apps I always have open are TellMe,eMobile Email,
    eMobile Today Professional, PimpMyMail, SmrtGaurd and Yahoo IM.

Haven't noticed any real effect on the battery. I don't recommend doing it
    but I have gone a couple of days on a single charge a few times.
    02-09-10 11:36 AM
    QuickPull is easier for me since I have an Otterbox protecting my BB's.
    02-09-10 12:01 PM
    There is traditional RAM inside the processor though, that's what I was referring to. The regular memory of course isn't cleared (NAND not FLASH to my understanding) as that takes commands issued by the CPU to accomplish.

And while it's true the VM is solid, I know applications themselves can be written in a sloppy fashion and accumulate memory if they are never shut down. This is what most people probably associate with their memory woes, random apps they download that aren't properly tested and made solid by the developers.
    I knew I'd find it, there was a blog post on here a week ago that discussed the memory leak problem. I followed the leaks and read up on it a little bit, just because I never really understood how it happens, but Radius is pretty much correct.
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-dev...e-memory-leaks
    02-09-10 01:14 PM
    I knew I'd find it, there was a blog post on here a week ago that discussed the memory leak problem. I followed the leaks and read up on it a little bit, just because I never really understood how it happens, but Radius is pretty much correct.
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-dev...e-memory-leaks
    I'm a software engineer, so.......
    02-09-10 01:59 PM
    I agree with you completely I never pull the battery out of my phone I only use the command
    02-09-10 02:14 PM
    I don't disagree with that in theory, but I personally have had a better experience with my Curve when I use QuickPull to reboot nightly.
    agreed!..................
    02-09-10 02:15 PM
    QuickPull is easier for me since I have an Otterbox protecting my BB's.
    I had a good laugh on the bus the other evening watching some poor soul unwrap his BB from its case just so he could pull the battery.
    02-09-10 07:36 PM
    I'd say in the last 4 months of having my 8900, I've pulled my battery somewhere around 3 times. I don't like taking the case off and would never just do it. Only as a last resort.

As for a soft reset, I do this. I never realized it didn't matter what apps were running. I do this every couple of nights, generally before I go to sleep, especially when I don't have long to charge my phone. I plug it in, reset the phone, and go to sleep. Despite having no real world evidence (and I figure that's because it's not true at all) I feel it charges better because I often forget to close things and just switch between programs, so a lot of my programs are open. So then it ends up shutting everything down and minimizing CPU/RAM use.

I guess I just do it out of habit, and not really because I see any performance increase or decrease.
    02-09-10 10:14 PM
    I find mine runs better doing a QUICKPULL I guess it is a personal thing.
    I also will do a battery pull once a month and if I add a new app

I also clean the memory, etc. Mine runs great
    02-09-10 10:34 PM
    I have read that a lot of BB users are saying that their devices are running better because of nightly or frequent battery pulls. How does your device perform better? I never do battery pulls and u don't notice any memory or performance issues. I hardly ever leave applications open after I have used them, but occasionally I may. But I don't see the need of the battery pulls. I haven't had any random reboots either. Maybe I am just one of the lucky ones. But personally, I would think twice about a device that needed a daily battery pull to perform correctly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-10 12:42 AM
    I have read that a lot of BB users are saying that their devices are running better because of nightly or frequent battery pulls. How does your device perform better? I never do battery pulls and u don't notice any memory or performance issues. I hardly ever leave applications open after I have used them, but occasionally I may. But I don't see the need of the battery pulls. I haven't had any random reboots either. Maybe I am just one of the lucky ones. But personally, I would think twice about a device that needed a daily battery pull to perform correctly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Given the nature of the loads of information in this thread, I'd say any "increase in performace" by a "battery pull" is simply a placebo affect. Most people will never know because they don't let their devices go without one for long enough, or they're always doing things that would make that advantageous (i.e. installing and uninstalling lots of apps, especially not very good ones).

So I'm guessing that most people will say "it just does".
    02-10-10 06:51 PM
    The only reason I do a battery pull is because my device wouldnt connect to the internet after a while >.< I have no idea why and I've scoured the forums for an answer, but I guess it is because im connecting through TCP/IP instead of BIS.
    02-11-10 01:06 AM
    I run my batteries dead and swap them out, so I'm constantly doing battery pulls.
    02-11-10 01:25 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD