View Poll Results: How do you reset your BlackBerry?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good old fashioned Battery Pull

72 39.56%
  • Soft Reset via app

14 7.69%
  • Alt/Shift/Delete

30 16.48%
  • Double Alt/Shift/Delete

11 6.04%
  • You're supposed to reset it?

11 6.04%
  • Battery pull in emergency only -otherwise Alt/shift/del

42 23.08%
  • Other ('splain, if you'd like)

2 1.10%
    There have been several lengthy threads discussing the virtues and evils of each method, what they do and don't do.... I'm not looking to rehash it all over again here.

Just taking a poll as to the reset method used by everyone.
    08-08-08 03:20 PM
    I usually use the alt del shift to reset the phone but on occasion I just do a battery pull!

Charlie
    Last edited by dmnall; 08-08-08 at 03:37 PM. Reason: wrote wrong key :P
    08-08-08 03:24 PM
    I actually perform a combination of these... but I voted for the "Emergency Only Batt Pull"

I usually do a 'soft reset' every other day (or every day) and a 'double soft reset' once per week. I only do a battery pull if my device locks up!

That plan has served me well... and I will stick to it
    08-08-08 03:28 PM
    ive done the soft reset many times.. but whats the double? u jsut do it 2 times in a row?
    08-08-08 03:31 PM
    Double soft every day. For me, a battery pull is a special ritual. When I do a battery pull, I usually light some candles, put on some ethereal music, and place the BB on a makeshift altar. Then, after I pull the battery, I kneel down in front of the altar out of respect to the battery pull ritual.
    Last edited by Count Cracula; 08-16-08 at 11:15 PM.
    08-08-08 03:49 PM
    Lol rofl @ ritual

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-08 03:51 PM
    Lol... When I had my Curve, I set a weekly "Battery Pull" reminder...
    08-08-08 04:08 PM
    Used to instintively do a battery pull, but now
    2x ALT+Right Shift+Delete, unless I have no other way,
    then, "Stand Back, While I Whip This Out" Bart - Blazing Saddles
    08-08-08 04:13 PM
    Every day or three, a soft reset.

If there is a problem that a soft reset doesn't fix, then I do a double reset.

If the keyboard is locked so no soft reset is possible, I'll pull the battery. (It's never happened, but then, I use the OEM OS - could change though, as I've decided to try 4.5.0.66).

If I switch to my spare battery or need to swap out my SD card, then I shut off the phone first.
    08-08-08 04:20 PM
    Alt-R.Shft-Del as needed. Battery pull only if soft reset doesn't resolve the problem.
    08-08-08 05:24 PM
    Alt Shift Delete doesn't seem to clear up as much memory for me,
    so I usually just do a battery pull.
    08-08-08 05:52 PM
    Used to instintively do a battery pull, but now
    2x ALT+Right Shift+Delete, unless I have no other way,
    then, "Stand Back, While I Whip This Out" Bart - Blazing Saddles
    haha good stuff
    usually i alt+rshift+delete when i need to reset my bb
    theres a rare occasion (such as a special holiday)i do a battery pull so i voted for "emergency only"
    08-08-08 06:12 PM
    I voted emergency pull. Otherwise I use DOUBLE reset or the soft reset program. Otterbox makes PULL hard to do.
    08-08-08 06:24 PM
    Usually a double soft reset unless my BB completely freezes or double soft reset did not fix the problem.
    08-08-08 06:56 PM
    Double soft reset about once a day works for me.

08-08-08 07:01 PM
    Double soft every day. For me, a battery pull is a special ritual. When I do a battery pull, I usually light some candles, put on some ethereal music, and place the BB on a makeshift altar. Then, after I pull the battery, I kneel down in front of the altar out of respect to the battery pull ritual.

LOL!!! creepy!!

I do the alt+shift+del about once a week or if my memory has gone way down.
    08-08-08 07:07 PM
    I use the auto on/off. I have it set to turn off at 3:00am and turn back on 3:05am everyday. Then battery pulls on Sundays to have a fresh start on Mondays.

08-09-08 06:08 AM
    Battery pull is the quickest, so I usually just do that.
    08-09-08 07:24 AM
    Reseting twice in a row is like pushing the reset button on your computer twice in a row, and serves no purpose at all.

Remember, the "file free" number is meaningless, as it only shows part of available memory. If your berry needs more, it will garbage collect it, and it is a complete waste of time to reset for this reason.

08-09-08 08:19 AM
    Quick question:

I normally do a ALT+LGLG every week, then a battery pull and my free memory goes up to around 45.7.

So today I closed all running programs, did the ALT+LGLG and then did a double alt+rshift+del and the free memory went up to 45.1

So I then did a battery pull and my memory went up to 45.7

So does the battery pull actually reset the phone and memory better than a double reset? I am confused.
    08-09-08 12:21 PM
    Reseting twice in a row is like pushing the reset button on your computer twice in a row, and serves no purpose at all.

Remember, the "file free" number is meaningless, as it only shows part of available memory. If your berry needs more, it will garbage collect it, and it is a complete waste of time to reset for this reason.

Reseting twice in a row serving no purpose? Maybe... maybe not but here is something to check out. How do I reset my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ
    08-09-08 12:28 PM
    I use the auto on/off. I have it set to turn off at 3:00am and turn back on 3:05am everyday. Then battery pulls on Sundays to have a fresh start on Mondays.

thats what i do, but mine is set at 5 am... cause i still might be up at 3...

and if i need quick mem i use the keyboard shortcut
    08-09-08 12:31 PM
    Reseting twice in a row serving no purpose? Maybe... maybe not but here is something to check out. How do I reset my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ

Agreed... I've had browser issues and after doing another battery pull, it would go away. Maybe it was coincidence, but it happened 3 or 4 times already.
    08-09-08 12:31 PM
    Alt-Shift-Delete. If that doesn't do the trick, then a battery pull. Just curious, I notice some CB members do regular resets and or battery pulls. Are there recommendations for this to maintain optimal performance or is it a matter of preference?
    08-09-08 12:35 PM
    I went with alt-shift-delete and battery pull in an emergency. I do think this category should be combined with alt-shift-delete because most of the alt-shift-delete people (except for Patrick.Waugh, ) would pull the battery in an emergency, too. That would push this percentage to close to 45%.
    08-09-08 01:13 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD