What is the technical difference between the two actions puh-leese???
    05-19-10 11:57 AM
    I have done the key sequence a few times on my Bold, where the screen would go black, red LED, but it would just go right to the homescreen and completely skip bootup. I don't know what it does when it does that. If I do it again, it will usually do a full reboot the second time. Odd.
    05-19-10 12:02 PM
    It is comparable to Windows Ctrl+Alt+Del. That is similar to, but different from the full Power ON restart. Same things applies to the BlackBerry.

Personally, I go for months between resets. They are only needed if something is not working right..
    05-19-10 12:13 PM
    Both perform a reset, but a true battery pull is better. With a battery pull all the electronics within the phone are powered down. A reset using alt, shift, delete will work great for many issues, like when installing a new app. When the phone is having issues I always perform a true battery pull.
    05-19-10 12:13 PM
    key sequence=soft reset
    battery pull=hard reset
    05-19-10 12:17 PM

Personally, I go for months between resets. They are only needed if something is not working right..
    If you go months without resetting your blackberry, you have the best device out there. I don't know anyone with a blackberry that doesnt have to reboot it at least 1 every week or 2.
    05-19-10 12:18 PM
    I have quickpull, and I have it set to reset my blackberry every morning right before I wake up so it is refreshed and ready for the rest of the day. Quickpull is a free app by the way. It is also 5.0 compatible now.
    05-19-10 12:36 PM
    ridesno159 explained the difference in post #4. One is rebooting; one is a power cycle. There are some problems that can only be solved by a power cycle, an unresponsive keyboard, for example. Most problems can be solved by rebooting.
    05-19-10 03:12 PM
    Understood people; however anyone know the technical difference? It's all well and good that some of you have to do it, while others don't and it's nice to hear what you all prefer no trying to be abrasive
    I understand hard reset vs soft reset, but what exactly does that mean to the phone/software. What does each function do exactly? Why is there an option to soft and/or hard reset? When is one better suited than another?
    05-19-10 03:16 PM
    JeffH / ridesno159 - thank you. That begins to answer my question. I'll have to start homework on "powercycle" a term I have never heard before...
    05-19-10 03:18 PM
    In order for a true reboot to occur on a BlackBerry all power must be removed(battery) so the capacitors 'Die' Since the OS cannot replicate a power loss, the power must be removed manually...
    05-19-10 03:32 PM
    If you go months without resetting your blackberry, you have the best device out there. I don't know anyone with a blackberry that doesnt have to reboot it at least 1 every week or 2.
    Thank you. I have to admit, currently my uptime is only 226,715 seconds (2.6 days).

I had lost UMA connection and pulled the battery to restart it a few days ago. No help, but it came back by itself yesterday... a carrier thing.

Months in the plural would be a stretch even for me.... Let me rephrase that: serveral weeks, at least.
    05-19-10 03:46 PM
    JeffH / ridesno159 - thank you. That begins to answer my question. I'll have to start homework on "powercycle" a term I have never heard before...
    I'm sorry for the jargon; by "power cycle" I simply meant turning the device fully OFF, then back ON. Turning a BlackBerry OFF by pushing the power switch doesn't turn it fully OFF. It just goes into a lower-power-consumption mode. Removing the battery is necessary to turn it completely OFF. When you put the battery back in, everything is returned to a known good working state (assuming the hardware isn't defective). That's why "pull your battery" is a frequently prescribed remedy. However, it usually isn't necessary. If the device is responding to the keyboard, a keyboard reboot is usually sufficient. To reboot a device with a keyboard, you press and hold the Alt, Right Shift, and Delete keys in sequence, much like you reboot a PC by Control Alt Delete.
    05-19-10 04:39 PM
    My Wife has the 8130 Pearl and has done maybe 4 battery pulls in 2 years...i have a 9700 and do it about every time i have downloaded a bunch of free beta programs and then uninstall them all when it crashes
    05-19-10 11:50 PM
    JeffH - again great info, a big help. Thank you for clarification. Understood and appreciated...
    05-20-10 02:27 PM
    Sorry. Quickpull is still not completely compatible with 5.0. They just released an upgraded version which is supposed to be compatible with 5.0. My 9700 still freezes when I try to use it. Luckily I don't need resets that often but a program like Quickpull is ever so slightly more convenient.
    05-20-10 02:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD