I got a general question about battery pulls. From what I have seen when doing a battery pull this is like doing a full shutdown and rebooting. When you do a normal shutdown it is kind of like putting a computer in standby. Is this accurate?

If so, why would RIM design the "shutdown" process like this. I personally have never owned a BB, but my wife does own one, and I am her tech support. I know there is an app for simulating the battery pull, but have also read that it doesn't work as well as a legitimate battery pull.

Also is there any kind of timeframe that a pull should be done (as in every week or however often), she owns a Torch.
    10-09-10 10:54 AM
    I think you'll get a lot ofdifferent answers to this. I don't generally do a battery pull unless I've upgraded the os, installed a new app or theme. I clear my event log on a regular basis as well as clearing browser cache. Sometimes though if it seems bogged down I will do a battery pull but as I said I don't do them on a regular basis. Hopefully if I'm wrong and should be doing them on a regular basis someone here with more knowledge will add to this and set us both on the right path.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-10 11:01 AM
    Doing a battery pull reboots the device. Your computer analogies are pretty accurate.

RIM designed the on/off feature of the blackberry so people could quickly turn off their device (for flying, meetings, ect) and then turn it back on without waiting for the device to reboot.

There isn't a time frame for doing BPs. If you notice a weird bug/glitch or install a new app/theme, that's when you do a battery pull.
    10-09-10 11:05 AM
    why would RIM design the "shutdown" process like this. ...
    You are in the right ball park, but it is the other way around. It is a "startup process" that is executed when power is first applied.

Like all computers, the embedded CPU has a register called the Program Counter. On startup it is initialized to Zero. Code execution begins at that point and continues through normal operation.

A couple years back, when 64 Mb was common in consumer BlackBerry, a battery pull was often the quickest way to restore normal function when things were not working correctly. Clearing all the internal caches freed up internal memory enough to restore normal operation.

Since then, increased memory models and improvements to the memory management have made memory issues less of a problem. The need to pull the battery has been substantially reduced.

It is still a useful troubleshooting technique becasue it guarantees all the software has been freshly initialized, but there is no need to do it on any regular basis.
    10-09-10 11:16 AM
    My Tour would always lag fairy badly after a week our so of up time regardless of how much free memory there was. When it got more laggy than normal I did a battery pull. Also as mentioned, if it starts behaving oddly, that is also a good time to pull the battery.
    10-09-10 11:30 AM
    OK, I have only had to do a battery pull on my wifes phone once since she got it. Her phone would not charge above 50% no matter how long it was on the charger, did a pull and afterwards it would charge just fine.

Thanks for the info though.
    10-09-10 11:33 AM
    Is there any harm in doing a battery pull every day?

I usually use up 2 batteries per day.
    10-09-10 08:05 PM

Nope. Wont cause any harm to the device.
    10-09-10 08:28 PM

It shouldn't harm the device, but your blood pressure may go up while waiting for the device to come back up.
    10-09-10 09:15 PM
    It shouldn't harm the device, but your blood pressure may go up while waiting for the device to come back up.
    A watched pot never boils and a watched Berry never boots.

It is better to swap batteries and wait for a reboot than to have to leave it in my truck to charge for an hour or two.
    10-09-10 10:48 PM
    This is an issue on iPhones and iPod touch's as well.

You sometime have to turn the thing fully off and back on for regular useage. :P

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-10 11:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD