Just picked up a 9810. Didn't even walk out of the mall and guess what?!

That's right....had to pull the #@$'n battery out. Screen locked up when I opened BB Messenger. I don't even have any third party apps yet? I had the phone for all of 10 minutes.

Took the phone back. Rogers rep asked if I wanted to send it out! Told her she could keep it. Put SIM card back into my tired 9800. Very disappointed but not surprised.

Thankfully Rogers has a 15 day or 1 hour call (or whatever) return policy in place.
    08-15-11 03:59 PM
    Why did you not just trade it out? Everyone loves this phone and has had hardly any complaints.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-11 04:22 PM
    A single battery pull is hardly reason to be so upset. This is a BB after all. Why not give the phone a real chance? While I am sorry you had such a poor experience the overall reports on the phone are good enough to merit a longer trial IMHO.
    08-15-11 04:29 PM

That's right....had to pull the #@$'n battery out. Screen locked up when I opened BB Messenger. I don't even have any third party apps yet? I had the phone for all of 10 minutes.

Took the phone back. Rogers rep asked if I wanted to send it out! Told her she could keep it. Put SIM card back into my tired 9800. Very disappointed but not surprised.

Thankfully Rogers has a 15 day or 1 hour call (or whatever) return policy in place.
    Is that a hair-trigger-return record? Could you at least tell us how long it took to reboot? It is a new phone with new software. It might take a battery pull or two to settle in.
    08-15-11 04:30 PM
    I had a bad experience with a curve. It had a ton of problems and when I returned it a few days later the Rogers rep said RIM had sent them a bad batch.

I've been using RIM products for years but I'm getting a little hesitant to continue with BB. I used my upgrade to get my current 9800. I've been having issues with it and limping along. My upgrade finally came up and I decided to give the 9810 a try. My curve experience has made me a little gun shy.
    08-15-11 04:34 PM
    Is that a hair-trigger-return record? Could you at least tell us how long it took to reboot? It is a new phone with new software. It might take a battery pull or two to settle in.
    Are you kidding? It software not a set of new bearings! Since when does software have to warm up?
    bembol and southlander like this.
    08-15-11 04:36 PM
    That's just it. It didn't reboot. All I had was the Logo and the reboot status line that appears across the screen. Then the logo disapeared and just the status line remained. It sat on the rogers desk for at least 4-5 minutes trying to reboot.
    08-15-11 04:40 PM
    so get another one
    08-15-11 04:45 PM
    Welcome to BB OS7!

08-15-11 05:16 PM
    Are you kidding? It software not a set of new bearings! Since when does software have to warm up?
    Blackberry's have always needed to let os's settle in. It is reccomended after upgrading an os to pull the battery a few times to get the bootup process squared away and all the other internal things on the same page.

08-15-11 11:20 PM
    Unacceptable.

08-15-11 11:29 PM
    Why didn't you just try exchanging it out for another one? One battery pull wouldn't make me get my old phone back. Oh well, sorry for your bad luck.

08-15-11 11:48 PM
    Unacceptable.

i,m with you on this one it doesnt matter if youre a bb fan
    a brand new fone you shouldnt be getting any issues
    especially whilst still in the shop
    however i would have swapped
    08-16-11 03:11 AM
    Yeah. Wow. Bad device I guess. Maybe someone had screwed with it at some point.
    08-16-11 03:24 AM
    Blackberry's have always needed to let os's settle in. It is reccomended after upgrading an os to pull the battery a few times to get the bootup process squared away and all the other internal things on the same page.

I think I agree with you, My HTC HD2 windows phone needs constant Battery pulls and regular OS re-installation sometimes every few days. True you might think software just works, admittedly my issue is one of software degrading overtime, I also think sometimes that we forget the conditions that the electronics have to function with. Heat cold millons of radio waves etc, magnetic influences. I would have just asked for a replacement from a different batch if possible, but understand completely the neviousness, unfortunately my all singing dancing HD2 worked fine for the first few months
    08-16-11 03:37 AM

Like most guys would tell their girlfriends after they screw up "just give me a second chance to prove myself to you" In this case let the Torch 2 prove itself to you before you shut your doors closed

08-16-11 04:16 AM
    Personally, I wouldn't take it back to the store that fast, but I do agree that something like that is unacceptable.
    It's a brand new device, you paid money for it, so it should be 'perfect' coming out of the box!
    My brother had a bad experience to. After I bragged for over a year with how good my blackberry was, he decided to buy a bold 9780. He loved it and took good care of it, until after a month suddenly a part of the screen doesn't work anymore. You can imagine how furious my brother was after taking good care of it, probably a mistake when they made the phone.

If it is software or hardware, there shouldn't be any problems when it is new.
    Last edited by Made in flanders; 08-16-11 at 05:35 AM.
    08-16-11 05:32 AM
    Not suprised, new os prolly buggy but I heard a lot of good about that phone, man I'm switching to a bold asap

08-16-11 06:02 AM
    That's just it. It didn't reboot. All I had was the Logo and the reboot status line that appears across the screen. Then the logo disapeared and just the status line remained. It sat on the rogers desk for at least 4-5 minutes trying to reboot.
    This was clearly an isolated incident and a faulty device... Did you honestly think that none of the Torch 9810s could reboot? Some people amaze me.

I hope this doesn't deter anyone on here from getting this device.
    08-16-11 07:54 AM
    should have just got a brand new one.
    08-16-11 07:55 AM
    Probably should have pulled the battery once more when it was stuck like that with the line. It may have booted up.

01itr likes this.
    08-16-11 09:44 AM
    I got a brand new 9780 today and had to do a battery pull when setting up E-Mail accounts as it crashed. Not had any problems since. Sometimes these things happen

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    08-16-11 12:14 PM
    I would have just traded it for another one, or waited to see how it performed after the battery pull. Something that minor isn't going to shy me away from a brand new device.
    08-16-11 12:29 PM
    This is one thing that's always made me a little hesitant to get a BlackBerry again.

To me, it's a huge issue that "battery pulls" and "hard resets" are the norm for a phone and that even the users are used to it and willing to accept it. Not to mention all the little issues that I read about all the time that I've never had an issue with on my phone. It seems that there are so many unique issues on top of all the battery pulls and hard resets that there will consistently be an issue with your BlackBerry. A shame really.
    08-16-11 01:02 PM
    This is one thing that's always made me a little hesitant to get a BlackBerry again.

To me, it's a huge issue that "battery pulls" and "hard resets" are the norm for a phone and that even the users are used to it and willing to accept it. Not to mention all the little issues that I read about all the time that I've never had an issue with on my phone. It seems that there are so many unique issues on top of all the battery pulls and hard resets that there will consistently be an issue with your BlackBerry. A shame really.

I would not say its the norm all the other devices on the market are not with out there problems the iphone 4 and 3GS (testing for work) I had required a lot of hard resets from holding the power and home buttons in I had them both for around a month and the desire I had for a week (again testing for work) needed a battery pull every now and again so to be honest all phones require a reset, battery pull at times no matter what OS its running

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    08-16-11 01:58 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD