I will be getting a curve 8330 for christmas, and it sounds like a regularly scheduled battery pull is necessary. This, in my eyes, is a flaw. Do I have to battery pull regularly of can I just do it when something is malfunctioning? Is there a setting, like maybe have the phone turn off at say 3 am and back on at 315 am? or would that not do anything? That would be such a pain in my a** if I have to do a battery pull regularly!!
    12-19-08 12:00 PM
    Do a hard reset, instead. Alt+Rshift+Delete, and as soon as the white screen appears do it again. That does essentially the same thing.
    12-19-08 12:05 PM
    is Rshift the R button and then shift at the same time? or is it shift on the right side.\? this just seems like a pain that I have to reset everyday. what are some consequences? anything major, but its not too much of a big deal to do a hard reset every once in a while.
    12-19-08 12:08 PM
    It's the right-hand shift key, as opposed the left one.

I don't reboot every day, just whenever I notice my free file memory is getting too low for comfort, or when doing something major like changing BIS settings where I need to resend service books. I do a reset after just to cover all my bases.
    12-19-08 12:13 PM
    It is not a big deal. I use the program Quick Pull. It actually frees up memory. Turning your BB off is not the same.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-08 12:15 PM
    w00t, thanks for reassuring me that i didn't go wrong buying a Blackberry! I'm just going to reset when my memory gets low! Thanks Spinny, you seem to follow my questions, you are the BB grandmaster! I am just going to assume that you havn't had any problems not reseting every day. And i really don't mess with BIS. Thanks!
    12-19-08 12:16 PM
    I have quick pull, it's a free download from the CrackBerry store, and it's completely worth it, especially if you plan on getting a hard case.
    12-19-08 12:17 PM
    Do a hard reset, instead. Alt+Rshift+Delete, and as soon as the white screen appears do it again. That does essentially the same thing.
    This is typically referred to as a soft reset vs battery pull which is referred as a hard reset. Most posts seem to indicate that they are not the same thing. However, I've found that in terms of releasing memory they both have the desired effect

12-19-08 12:18 PM
    Actually it was explained to me that the first instance is a soft reset, and when you do it again as the screen goes white it becomes a hard reset.
    12-19-08 12:20 PM
    And i really don't mess with BIS.
    Are you not going to use email?

12-19-08 12:22 PM
    Oh, i am new, now i know that bis is needed for email( dont laugh) so yes i do need bis but i just wont be changing anything big like spinny
    12-19-08 01:02 PM
    Oh, i am new, now i know that bis is needed for email( dont laugh) so yes i do need bis but i just wont be changing anything big like spinny
    Well, when you first set up your e-mail with BIS and resend service books, that's when I'd do a hard reset. Today I added a second e-mail address to my BIS account, and again I did a hard reset afterwards just to make sure everything was flushed out and reset. You might surprise yourself at what you'll be changing and tweaking once you get into this.
    12-19-08 01:05 PM
    Thanks, I downloaded quick pull, and do I just click on the icon and hit yes? that seems really simple! Could I just not get quickpull and reset when my memory gets low? would that cause problems?
    12-19-08 01:05 PM
    No, using Quickpull will probably do everything you want to just fine.
    12-19-08 01:06 PM
    I have quick pull, it's a free download from the CrackBerry store, and it's completely worth it, especially if you plan on getting a hard case.
    Same here. Just click the icon and Im good to go.
    12-19-08 01:07 PM
    How long does it take to reset?
    12-19-08 01:08 PM
    Doing it my way, several seconds to complete, maybe as long as a minute. To be honest I've never timed it.
    12-19-08 01:09 PM
    Yes surflax. For the most part you can do that. Every once in awhile you may need to do a battery pull.

I do agree, once you get addicted you will be doing all sorts of things on your BB that you didn't think you would. It is very addictive.

12-19-08 01:10 PM
    The length of time it takes to start back up depends on what you have downloaded and how much memory needs to be restored.

12-19-08 01:12 PM
    One more question, in the reviews for quickpull, people said that the icon was bright red. Is it annoying, or did they change it. It's no big deal, i just wondering.It's a 3 hour drive to my aunts house where like 45-50 relatives go every year and i need something to do on the way there. Sounds like my BB should be sufficient!
    12-19-08 01:14 PM
    I have 4 red icons on my BB. That is something dumb to complain about.

By going to wap.crackberry.com (leave off www.) on your BB browser you can play on CB on your BB.

12-19-08 01:18 PM
    Actually it was explained to me that the first instance is a soft reset, and when you do it again as the screen goes white it becomes a hard reset.
    That is actually reffered to as a Double Soft Reset. A hard reset is indeed a battery pull.

And to the OP, no, you do not have to reset every day. Once a week, maybe, but even then only if you need to.
    12-19-08 02:37 PM
    That is actually reffered to as a Double Soft Reset. A hard reset is indeed a battery pull.
    Looks like various folks have their own terms for things. I picked up my own set of terms from posts by users like Exalant. Mayhap at some point the old hands here could argue out a dictionary of agreed-upon terms.
    12-19-08 04:10 PM
    I'm not convinced that quickpull does anything more than a ****-alt-delete which also frees memory... Does anyone have eveidence that it does anything more than that?
    12-19-08 04:42 PM
    no, id rather save the space and just shift alt delete when i need to, which, from what i hear, won't be often, just after adding new email and when memory gets low
    12-19-08 06:40 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD