1. ttfmaep's Avatar
    Two days ago, I took the battery out of my 3 month old Curve and set it aside, in a safe room-temperature place, not touching metal. I am sure it had quite a bit of charge in it. Today, I put it back in and it was completely discharged! It had never been in the "red zone" before. I am one of those "keep it topped off just in case" types. Has my habit killed my battery? Or do they discharge by themselves that quickly?
    02-08-10 02:22 PM
  2. ragnarokx's Avatar
    maybe the charge level of the battery was lower than you thought when you pulled it out. does it still hold a charge now?
    02-08-10 02:46 PM
  3. ttfmaep's Avatar
    It's charging it right now (via USB) and it is up to 32% after about 45 minutes. Once it gets fully charged I will see how it holds.
    Last edited by ttfmaep; 02-08-10 at 02:55 PM.
    02-08-10 02:51 PM
  4. ttfmaep's Avatar
    UPDATE: it is now at 100% after about 3 hours 20 minutes, which seems about right. I will unplug it and I'll report back tomorrow.

    I guess what I would like to know is how long should a charged battery that is removed from the device hold a charge.
    02-08-10 05:31 PM
  5. BergerKing's Avatar
    Sounds like it charged about right for USB charging. It is easy to underestimate how much charge was available, though. You could always try an experiment and find out how much charge it loses left by itself.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-08-10 05:36 PM
  6. T
    I don't know the answer, but in my experience, batteries don't lose charge like that. BB batteries, like laptop batteries, are lithium-ion batteries, and my spare laptop battery doesn't lose its charge even when it sits out for a week. Granted, it's a lot bigger than a BB battery, but I think I would see some drop in charge in it if that was normal. Though I doubt you've hurt your battery with your charging habits, I do hope you don't have a defective battery. Keep us posted.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-08-10 09:40 PM
  7. BergerKing's Avatar
    That's why I recommended an experiment to see if the issue could be duplicated.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-08-10 10:40 PM
  8. davidnc's Avatar
    Two days ago, I took the battery out of my 3 month old Curve and set it aside, in a safe room-temperature place, not touching metal. I am sure it had quite a bit of charge in it. Today, I put it back in and it was completely discharged! It had never been in the "red zone" before. I am one of those "keep it topped off just in case" types. Has my habit killed my battery? Or do they discharge by themselves that quickly?
    FYI ...topping the charge off did not damage the battery I have been doing that since I had mine and the battery as is it was since I have had my Blackberry which has been 8 months now .

    I haven't took my battery out and left it out as you mentioned but I dont see why that should matter .
    Last edited by DavidNC; 02-09-10 at 05:25 AM.
    02-09-10 05:22 AM
  9. ttfmaep's Avatar
    It's acting normal now (in the device). I'll do an experiment later where I'll take it when it's at 100%, leave it out for 24 hours, put it back in, etc. I'll report back.
    02-09-10 08:43 AM
  10. Radius's Avatar
    You probably stored it with a full charge in it, bad idea.

    LIons are strange critters, you store it with a 100% charge and it will lose power very quickly. Store it with a 40% charge and it will last a long time. I'm sure there's some mystical explanation for this but I've never bothered to ask the engineers about it.
    02-09-10 10:43 AM
  11. ttfmaep's Avatar
    You probably stored it with a full charge in it, bad idea.

    LIons are strange critters, you store it with a 100% charge and it will lose power very quickly. Store it with a 40% charge and it will last a long time. I'm sure there's some mystical explanation for this but I've never bothered to ask the engineers about it.
    If that's true, then that's what happened. I'm going to take it out today at 100% and leave it out for a day. Depending on how that goes, I may leave it out another day, or repeat the experiment, but start at 50 or 40%.
    02-09-10 03:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD