1. Does storing lots of data on the blackberry's hard drive cause more drain (9790 has about 7GB to play with) than storing lots of data on SD card (32GB in my case)?

2. Does being connected via 3G drain more battery than being connected via WIFI? I think I'm finding using WIFI is more battery friendly for the most part.

3. Has anybody else found that actually having 'Battery Saver' and 'Resource Monitor' turned off all the time is better for battery life? I think I am...

4. Our there others among us with Blackberry OCD issues? Or am I alone?

Thanks
    11-04-12 07:28 PM
    1. Does storing lots of data on the blackberry's hard drive cause more drain (9790 has about 7GB to play with) than storing lots of data on SD card (32GB in my case)?

Answer: Really shouldn't make much of a difference.

2. Does being connected via 3G drain more battery than being connected via WIFI? I think I'm finding using WIFI is more battery friendly for the most part.

Answer: Yes, the cellular radios usually use a bit more power.

3. Has anybody else found that actually having 'Battery Saver' and 'Resource Monitor' turned off all the time is better for battery life? I think I am...

Answer: IDK, i haven't really messed around with that stuff.

4. Our there others among us with Blackberry OCD issues? Or am I alone?

Answer: I'm sure your not alone.

Thanks
    InfinityBob likes this.
    11-04-12 07:52 PM
    2. RIM actually told us to keep the OS7 devices on Wifi before. We didn't get much of an explanation why OS7 handles Wifi better when it comes to battery life, but it does.

3. I don't know about Battery Saver, still on OS6, but any process that is constantly running on the background takes a toll on the battery, zo yeah, turning the Monitor off would save some juice.
    InfinityBob likes this.
    11-04-12 08:04 PM
    I am a battery nut! I have not owned a smartphone since the old palm 755P days without an extended battery. I have rapid chargers in my home and cars along with an extra battery and the jm1 external charger on top of my seidio extended battery. If my battery goes below 70% start to panic and reach for a charger.
    InfinityBob and kraski like this.
    11-05-12 12:57 AM
    2. RIM actually told us to keep the OS7 devices on Wifi before. We didn't get much of an explanation why OS7 handles Wifi better when it comes to battery life, but it does.
    Not just RIM. Every single cellular device ever made does better with Wifi than 3G/4G when it comes to Battery life.
    InfinityBob likes this.
    11-05-12 02:50 AM
    I am a battery nut! I have not owned a smartphone since the old palm 755P days without an extended battery. I have rapid chargers in my home and cars along with an extra battery and the jm1 external charger on top of my seidio extended battery. If my battery goes below 70% start to panic and reach for a charger.
    Wow... talk about being paranoid... hehehe... Anyway, I kinda understand how you feel about this. I go crazy when my phone loses power, and it kills me slowly until I get my usb charger into the port to recharge my trusty 9900.
    InfinityBob likes this.
    11-05-12 03:29 AM
    i really feel paranoid. i bet there is some medical condition for me. haha
    11-13-12 09:43 PM
    I don't bother with the Resource Analyzer anymore. I don't know if it uses a lot of CPU, but it certainly uses some. I think it's useful for people who tend to leave processes running, but for anyone who is disciplined about that sort of thing, as people with battery OCD are, it's redundant. I'm not sure just what Battery Saver does, but I haven't found it to make any noticeable difference.

But I have battery OCD too. It bugs me that Pandora uses almost a minute of CPU time every day, even when I don't open the app. It's always loaded as an "invisible" process on startup, for some reason. I even opened a ticket with the Pandora people about this. They initially thought I wasn't exiting the app properly, but that's not it. You can do a battery pull and then not touch Pandora, and it'll still use that CPU time. A process monitoring app will show that it's always running invisibly, for some reason. I don't know if the Pandora programmers will fix it, but at least I mentioned it to them. I used to have the YouMail app, but I got rid of it when I found that it too was using a fair amount of CPU time every day, even when I didn't use it at all.
    11-14-12 07:22 AM