I have a Blackberry 8900 through T-Mobile and I was wondering if its really needed to take the battery out to gain more MB? Ill admit its pretty annoying taking the battery out and wait 5 min for the BB to start up. Is there a way to gain more MB without having to take the battery out? Also and how do I change where my APPS get saved to? I want to save them to my SD card but dont know how to do it. Any help would be great... Thanks for the info!
    05-25-10 12:14 PM
    1) Why do you need to "gain more MB?" Are you running out of space already? There are plenty of ways to gain more memory, use the search function. This has been covered literally thousands of times.

2) No, you cannot store your apps on your sd card.

3) You may find the 8900 forum to be helpful with your phone.

Good luck.
    05-25-10 12:21 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

Pulling the battery is forced reset and should only be done when you are experiencing a problem. Don't worry about micro managing the memory, that is an automatic feature built into all BlackBerrys.

There are plenty of ways to gain more memory, use the search function. This has been covered literally thousands of times.
    We have been making great progress toward minimizing this type of response. if you don't fell like making a positive contribution, please refrain from leaving a negative one.

New members are here becasue they have searched and found us.
    05-25-10 12:24 PM
    the mega bites run out after a while....when i wake up every morning i take the battery out and i have 118MB and by the time I get home from work I have about 90MB left sometimes ill be down to 86MB
    05-25-10 12:26 PM
    That is not unusual and nothing to be concerned about. Many of us run weeks at a time between restarts and leave the memory management alone.

The only time you have to be concerned about your memory is when it gets into <5 Mb range.

If you are inclined, there are ways to recover more memory....
    05-25-10 12:34 PM
    thanks for your help...i appreciate it...what are some ways to recover more memory? i may just leave it alone like you said until it gets really low...but for future reference how do i recover more memory?
    05-25-10 12:41 PM

We have been making great progress toward minimizing this type of response. if you don't fell like making a positive contribution, please refrain from leaving a negative one.

New members are here becasue they have searched and found us.
    Duly noted sir
    Last edited by Pi Guy 3.14; 05-26-10 at 09:25 AM.
    05-25-10 12:46 PM
    thanks for your help...i appreciate it...what are some ways to recover more memory? i may just leave it alone like you said until it gets really low...but for future reference how do i recover more memory?
    Here's a good link to one of the BlackBerry 101 articles regarding how to free up memory on your BB:
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...rry-smartphone
    One of the easiest ways to do this is to remove any applications that you don't use. Alot of this stuff is covered in the link above, however it doesn't cover everything. Reed's posts on memory managment and optimization are always very helpful. Take a look at this one:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

One thing I always do is remove any languages that I don't need off of my BB. You can do this by hooking your BB up thru Desktop Manager, entering the Application Loader, and then just checking the boxes to remove the languages that you aren't going to use, as they are usually fairly large files.

Another thing that may be effecting it is that you may not be properly closing out of programs. Make sure that when you are done using an application, tha tyou press menu (BB key) and select close. This will make sure that the program is closed out and not just running in the background.

What apps do you have loaded on your 8900?
    05-25-10 01:12 PM
    I have facebook, the weather channel, and yelp....i did the thing you said about closing the app...but there is no option that says " Close "
    05-25-10 01:50 PM
    It only applies when you have the application open, say for instance you're in the Facebook app, instead of pressing the red "End" key, press menu, then scroll down to close, and select that. On some apps it may say "exit" or "shut down" or something to that effect. Another way that you can do it for almost all apps is by backing out of the application by using the escape key (other side of the trackball from the BB key) This will also close out the app, on most applications.

Some people choose to keep apps like Facebook open all the time so that the status feed updates automatically, but that can be a battery and memory drain.

You can see what applications you have open at any time by holding the alt key, and pressing the escape (back) key. This will bring up a window on your screen (application switcher) which will show you what apps you have running in the background. Scroll over which ever app you want to open, and then release the alt key, you will then open that app automatically, and from there you can close out of it. Picture it like the task bar on a Windows PC. Whenever you hit the red end key, it's like you're minimizing it, it stays running, it's just out of the way, when you go to menu and close, or back out of it, it's like pressing the red X key, and closing the application entirely.
    Last edited by elvin1983; 05-25-10 at 02:15 PM.
    05-25-10 02:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD