Hello all, what depletes the battery sooner WiFi or 3G?

Thanks much

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-09 09:49 PM
    I'm pretty sure that if you are connected with a strong signal, they will both do very little harm to battery life. But if you have low signal, or you keep moving in and out of range, it will drain the battery. However, this may only apply to Wi-Fi
    12-10-09 09:59 PM
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I am fortunate to have both strong WiFi & 3G, so all things being equal which one is better for battery life?

Thans much

12-10-09 10:03 PM
    I think it might be Wi-Fi. I think. But if it is, it probably will be a small difference. Someone with a better understanding of it could correct me if I'm wrong.

My Wi-Fi and 3G are on all day, and I get about 2 days worth of charge out of my phone, so it can't have too much of an impact.
    12-10-09 10:07 PM
    i leave 3g and wi-fi connected 24/7 and its fine on battery life
    12-10-09 10:40 PM
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I am fortunate to have both strong WiFi & 3G, so all things being equal which one is better for battery life?

Thans much

Honestly? I too have WiFi bluetooth and obviously on 3G. I don't get full strength 3G because I live a little on the outskirts however, no BS here...my battery laughs at it.....the BOLD is the best damn phone/BB I have ever owned.

I am a sales engineer and on it a ton all day, and I have yet to need to reach for my car charger!! Truth!

You're good to go darlin
    12-10-09 10:54 PM
    Wifi should drain your battery a bit faster than 3G.
    Turning wifi off when not needed should also increase your battery usage. Since most of you seem to be very satisfied with battery life on the 9700 and easily can go a day or two on one charge, leaving wifi on or not is a non issue.

12-11-09 06:02 AM
    actually WiFi will help battery life... its all about how much power the device needs to transmit to the network... in WiFis case its less. what 10 feet to talk with the router and back, therefore using less power... 3G takes alot more power, talking to a tower that could be over 1000 feet away...

WiFi imho is way better on battery life, and that's from experience too
    12-11-09 08:53 AM
    My personal experience has been
    -at home with heavy use on wifi, the battery last forever
    -out and about on 3g heavy use, drains faster.

12-11-09 10:12 AM
    I agree with most you and i think WIFI drain the battery faster.
    12-11-09 11:17 AM
    Thanks everyone, the question was somewhat academic but not entirely. My WiFi speeds at home & work are faster than 3G and also when I go overseas I try to use WiFi exclusively. With the the 9700's great battery life the impact is much less noticeable than the succession of WM devices that I came from.

It was great to get others experience & opinion.

12-11-09 12:18 PM
    I have a 9700 and wifi at home and work. If I leave wifi running all the time the battery doesn't last as long as just leaving it on 3G. There is quite a large difference too I find.

I'm sure if you turn it off when you don't need the extra speed it would provide a bit better life.
    12-11-09 12:21 PM
    I have a 9700 and wifi at home and work. If I leave wifi running all the time the battery doesn't last as long as just leaving it on 3G. There is quite a large difference too I find.

I'm sure if you turn it off when you don't need the extra speed it would provide a bit better life.
    Thanks the large difference has been my experience also with all my WM devices staring from SE 2000 to 6.1, the difference does not appear to be as noticeable with my BB.

12-11-09 12:48 PM
    In my experience with the 9700, I get much better battery life when using WiFi vs. 3G only. During the first week I exclusively used 3G and even with a great signal, it still depleted my battery quite quickly with moderate to heavy usage (about 1 1/2 days max). With WiFi on at home and the office, I have noticed that my battery life has improved to add another 1/2 day or so, maybe more before I need to charge.
    12-11-09 12:57 PM
    For me 3G cov is spotty in my area therefore the constant switching drains my batt. With WiFi my batt stays longer.
    12-11-09 01:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD