Is anyone getting remotely close to what the bb specs say their batteries should be lasting on their device?

I understand manufacture specs will be somewhat... inflated but I'm not getting anywhere near what I should be. According to the BB website my 3G 9100 has 5 hours talk time and up to 18 days of standby with 30 hours of music playback.

I haven't used wi-fi or bluetooth, close all apps when I'm done, have solid 3G and do frequent battery pulls. I don't really use this for anything other then bbm & texting. Still I can't go any longer then 2 maybe 3 days without having to charge again.
    01-24-11 10:05 PM
    2 or 3 days with you making any calls, texts and running apps is not bad. The battery pull will drain the battery faster than just letting it sit in idle, as a FYI. I have to charge daily, so again 2 or 3 days is good.
    01-24-11 10:11 PM
    My batteries been pulled about every other day, still 2 to 3 days is a far cry from what RIM is promoting.
    01-24-11 10:18 PM
    My batteries been pulled about every other day, still 2 to 3 days is a far cry from what RIM is promoting.
    Turn off your network, remove all apps except what the device shipped with, disable any automatic settings, and finally just leave the phone sit without touching it or letting the screen light up. You'll get results closer to what you're expecting.

RIM is posting the most extreme stats, it's what the phone could do if unused which they skew to mean "standby" - no one I know with a smartphone goes more than a day or two on a single charge.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Fubaz and homer1475 like this.
    01-25-11 12:32 AM
    RIM is posting the most extreme stats, it's what the phone could do if unused which they skew to mean "standby" - no one I know with a smartphone goes more than a day or two on a single charge.

+1. I would not expect ANY smartphone to not require a nightly charge. I charge mine all night every night. As long as the battery lasts from morning till night, that is all I expect or care about.

01-25-11 12:47 AM
    Rims numbers are based on if you do not touch your phone at all. This is the same for every phone from every manufacturer. If you have the time and the need, shut every app down, disconnect from all networks and just let your phone sit in a draw. Me personally that is not what I got a phone for, put this would be the best method to test Rim's numbers. Let us know how you do, in a few days.
    01-25-11 06:48 AM
  7. T
    I'm with you. I charge my phone every night, all night. As long as I make it from when I get up till it's time for me to go to sleep, I'm happy. But the phone manufacturers give the "talk time," too, so I suppose the radio would have to be on to test that ...

01-25-11 07:13 AM
    I find 2-3 days perfectly normal... go tell torch power users who get 8 hours that and see what they have to say.
    01-25-11 07:17 AM
    You do realize that standby time is basically the phone sitting and doing nothing right? For 18 days it's basically powered down and sitting there doing nothing. Anytime you turn your phone on for anything..be it text, BBM, battery pulls..your now out of standby time and into usage. And seriously..wtf needs to go 18 days without charging a phone? Unless you have wooden hands or get around by a wheelchair ala Stephen Hawking..then it's not that hard to plug a phone in..
    01-25-11 07:51 AM
    You do realize that standby time is basically the phone sitting and doing nothing right? For 18 days it's basically powered down and sitting there doing nothing. Anytime you turn your phone on for anything..be it text, BBM, battery pulls..your now out of standby time and into usage. And seriously..wtf needs to go 18 days without charging a phone? Unless you have wooden hands or get around by a wheelchair ala Stephen Hawking..then it's not that hard to plug a phone in..
    If the phone is powered down, the battery would last half a year. Honestly though, if the problem is not being able to charge every night then there's ways around it. Personally I'd say get spare batteries for situations that don't allow for charging on a frequent/regular basis.

01-25-11 10:29 AM
    Is anyone getting remotely close to what the bb specs say their batteries should be lasting on their device?

I understand manufacture specs will be somewhat... inflated but I'm not getting anywhere near what I should be. According to the BB website my 3G 9100 has 5 hours talk time and up to 18 days of standby with 30 hours of music playback.

I haven't used wi-fi or bluetooth, close all apps when I'm done, have solid 3G and do frequent battery pulls. I don't really use this for anything other then bbm & texting. Still I can't go any longer then 2 maybe 3 days without having to charge again.
    If your getting 2 or 3 days I don't understand your issue. Most of us charge daily and are fine with that. It's not a contest to see who's lasts the longer. Sounds like your the front runner in that regard already. Be pleased with that.
    01-25-11 12:13 PM
    As for batt life, I can get 2 days depending on what I do daily. I usually need to charge every night even though I sometimes have 45-50% left. If I'm online/txing a lot thru the day sometimes I have to charge around 6pm or so from being off the charger from 615am. I never let my batt go below 30% - I'm really ocd about that.

01-25-11 01:43 PM
    We have and have had several Blackberrys and various other cell phones including a couple of iPhones and now a couple of Androids at our company and none of them ever got the specs claimed, nor did we expect them to get that in the real world. That said, we do get about 2 days average with the BBs and 1 day with the iPhones and Androids on what we consider normal usage, but of course that varies even within the same department of our company, no two people use their phones the same. We all pretty much give our phones a charge every day or night no matter what.
    01-25-11 02:24 PM
    If your getting 2 or 3 days I don't understand your issue.
    Not sure where the confusion stems from.

I was asking if anyone was getting anywhere near what RIM's promoting what their batteries should be lasting. Here's the orginal post

For my device it was 18 days, that's OVER 2 weeks! Those aren't my demands for an adequate BB, just the numbers RIM's themselves are giving out. I'm getting 3 days and that's with minimal use. That's only %16 of what RIM is saying!

From what I'm reading here not only is everyone else getting less then then me, %16. Everyone else finds it perfectly acceptable. Under what other conditions would you be happy with only %16 of what your told to expect?

If you paid for 15 gallons of fuel are you telling me you'd be okay with only receiving just over 2 gallons? You win a $100, well here's your 15 bucks and change. That's not even close!

RIM should be posting numbers that are at least somewhat achievable or not be posting anything at all. It make no sense to post up numbers that nobody will ever see.

{and yes I checked the number for the Torch, their given the same numbers as my Pearl 3G.}
    Last edited by Blade_27; 01-25-11 at 04:47 PM.
    01-25-11 04:44 PM
    Not sure where the confusion stems from.
    Yea..i'm not sure where your confusion is stemming from either. As was stated..it's 18 days of STANDBY TIME.

Definition: The total time a battery can power a phone that is not used to receive or perform a call but only standing by, which consumes less energy. Usually expressed in days

This means that the phone is experiencing no usage. The display is not on..nothing. No texts, no BBM, no calls, not even turning on the display to admire the naked girl you have as wallpaper.

And regardless..i'd be more p1ssed off at the "misleading" data on car manufactures and their stated mpg..which is never right and as they say..is under "perfect conditions".
    01-25-11 04:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD