i hear those at my school when people use their blackberry. But what i dont understand is how you overcharge it, doesnt the blackberry automatically stop charging after 99+?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    04-28-12 07:57 AM
    Yes most battery technology stops from overcharging it.
    They are probably the people that use it until the battery is so dead it turns off.

That will kill a battery.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-28-12 08:14 AM
    some cheap charger especially batterypacks could be bad for batterys life.

I know at least one device (it was a Dell streak) which battery got fried by a no name charger.

I have one no name charger (micro usb) which is working fine (it is charging well - if it's bad afer a while I can of course not say) and one charger which does not charge the 9900 as the charger has to low power (even as it should have up to 1A).

But as these mini batteries of the 9900 etc. are so cheap for replacement and it is more uncommen to "hurt" the device it self (as long as lithium does not explode/acid from the battery comes in contact with our valued device) I'm not really afraid of using the no name charger.
    Last edited by boldkeyboardholic; 04-28-12 at 09:19 AM.
    04-28-12 09:04 AM
    Batteries are consumables. If they use their phones a lot and they are a year or two old, they may just need a new battery.
    04-28-12 09:07 AM
    The new batteries are different from the old. Letting them die before charging is the worse thing you can do for them.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    04-28-12 09:15 AM
    Letting them die before charging is the worse thing you can do for them.
    :$ I'm so sorry! I didn't mean it :'(
    04-28-12 09:29 AM
    :$ I'm so sorry! I didn't mean it :'(
    LOL you did so.
    kemj likes this.
    04-28-12 11:08 AM
    Just put two batteries together overnight and they should charge up.. if you know what i mean...
    04-28-12 11:12 AM
    lol actually my battery of my playbook is fried caus i used it to 0% but does it means that my tablet will not be working anymore or what

ps: when i plug the charger in no reactions on the LED light also i use the rapid wall charger the 3 little dots one because my charger from the package was broken and rim sent me a new one
    07-15-12 04:31 AM
    lol actually my battery of my playbook is fried caus i used it to 0% but does it means that my tablet will not be working anymore or what
    No. A new battery will have it up and running again. Depending on how long it
    is left off you MAY need to redo settings, but that is the only thing I can think of.
    07-15-12 08:39 AM
    I don't agree with the statement about inexpensive chargers being a problem.

I have been using 2 $5 chargers (wall, USB, car combination) bought from Family
    Dollar for years now and not one device or battery has suffered any ill effect
    from them.
    BergerKing likes this.
    07-15-12 08:46 AM
    Plus, I think it's okay if the battery dies on you every once in a while. I mean, they have to make these batteries so that they'll take at least some full discharges without issue.

It's constant and regular discharges that that are not good for them.
    07-15-12 10:38 PM
    Plus, I think it's okay if the battery dies on you every once in a while. I mean, they have to make these batteries so that they'll take at least some full discharges without issue.

It's constant and regular discharges that that are not good for them.
    I agree. Constant deep discharges will seriously damage the battery.

I can't remember where I read it but I recall the suggestion of a complete
    discharge once every 30 (o r40) charging cycles for proper calibration
    of the internal circuitry.
    07-15-12 10:46 PM
    I have always thought that letting it discharge to the low point was good to maximizing the cycle. (I do this on my phone and tab)

The playbook to about 3.4 v and it auto shuts down on me (battery guru) and doesn't matter what the % shows on the totally off pb bat reader. Do people mean zero% v or 3.4 v auto shut off bad?

Thx
    07-16-12 12:44 AM
    I don't agree with the statement about inexpensive chargers being a problem.

I have been using 2 $5 chargers (wall, USB, car combination) bought from Family
    Dollar for years now and not one device or battery has suffered any ill effect
    from them.
    Haven't had a problem with the phones, but we've definitely had some chargers bite the dust! I tend to order bundles of OEM chargers and a spare cable for each. I love the capability to replace worn or damaged cables and not have to toss the block.
    07-16-12 01:00 AM
    I agree. Constant deep discharges will seriously damage the battery.

I can't remember where I read it but I recall the suggestion of a complete
    discharge once every 30 (o r40) charging cycles for proper calibration
    of the internal circuitry.
    You are correct. Six Tips For Extending The Life Of Lithium-Based Batteries

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/...i-ion-battery/
    Last edited by lak611; 07-16-12 at 01:53 AM.
    07-16-12 01:50 AM
    I have always thought that letting it discharge to the low point was good to maximizing the cycle. (I do this on my phone and tab)

The playbook to about 3.4 v and it auto shuts down on me (battery guru) and doesn't matter what the % shows on the totally off pb bat reader. Do people mean zero% v or 3.4 v auto shut off bad?

Thx
    That was true for NiCd batteries, but it is bad for Li-ion batteries.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/...i-ion-battery/
    07-16-12 01:52 AM
    Just put two batteries together overnight and they should charge up.. if you know what i mean...
    And don't be concerned (or surprised) if they smoke when they're done.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-16-12 11:44 AM
    And don't be concerned (or surprised) if they smoke when they're done.
    Who knew? Even batteries have a cigarette after
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-16-12 11:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD