Anyone know what kind of performance decrease you'd get with battery life , if you left GPS on all the time?
    03-22-10 06:01 PM
    i dont notice anything, i've always left gps on even with the 8310
    03-22-10 06:05 PM
    i dont notice anything, i've always left gps on even with the 8310
    So that means you've never left it off, to test battery life?

Or does that mean you've tested both on and off, and there's no difference?
    03-22-10 06:08 PM
    never had the need to test it off as i usually get about 2 days of battery life before needing to charge
    03-22-10 06:12 PM
    never had the need to test it off as i usually get about 2 days of battery life before needing to charge
    Ah thanks....I'm hoping someone pops along who has

I just ended a 12 hour 'session' from a full night's charge and it's on 10%....no calls, but lots of browsing, setting apps/options, and playing around with various GPS apps...
    03-22-10 06:14 PM
    i have a sales job. They gave me a blackberry bold, but my storm9520 has a larger screen so i use that for the gps with google maps.

I leave the Tube station with say 95% battery. Maybe a 10-15 minute walk to meet a client uses maybe 8-10% of the battery. But using google maps, and scrolling and touching the screen to keep the screen active.

i *think* that if i didn't touch the screen, then the google maps won't refresh/use the gps so often.

For me, when i walk, there is a black arrow and i need to keep refreshing the screen so i don't overshoot a turn.

And yes i have an external battery pack that i can connect my usb charge cable to. I get paranoid. But i have only used it once, when i was down to like 25%. Did a LOT of walking that day.

Blackberrys have awesome battery life. It's only the day of the important meeting or something that you forget to charge it or didn't bring the external battery pack :P

I hope this helps.
    03-22-10 06:31 PM
    Two days?
    I can usually end up with 20-30% battery life by dinner time.

These factors *might* contribute to the battery life
    1. I spend an hour and a half on the tube (no network) but i don't turn off my network settings.
    2. I use maybe half an hour of google maps.
    3. I use my blackberry storm2 as a watch. Keep checking the time with it.
    4. I read emails on it.
    5. I keep signed in on gmail chat receive/send a total of maybe 20 messages.
    6. I take geo-tagged photos

my storm2 is a month old.

Could i have a defective battery?
    03-22-10 06:39 PM
    You use it the same amount I do and I get that kind of life .....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-10 06:44 PM
    Depends. I leave my GPS indicator on the time and get very good battery life. However, when I use VZ Navigator (which is a SatNav program), it does drain the battery more quickly than when it is not in use. So my answer would be that it depends on how much GPS activity your phone is actually using. If it is on, but not trying to access a satellite, then you will have decent battery life. If the GPS is actively being used by a SatNav program or perhaps google maps, your battery will drain will be noticeably more significant.
    03-22-10 06:44 PM
    thanks mate.
    shame that the otterbox is not compatible with the 2600mah battery sold on crackberry
    03-22-10 06:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD